A Stalled Fishless Cycle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

injunear

AC Members
Mar 10, 2008
you don't need high temp to get bacteria to grow you should be fine 78-82.
I am not sure where you would get false readings from an additive..a dechlorinator only may itself be problematic if it is not designed to deal with chloramine.
I have seen false positive readings with those dechlorinators that work with chloramine..but it really is NOT a false positve..the ammonia test we commonly use test for total ammonia..(total ammonia = NH3+NH4)

the dechlorinators that work on chloramine work by breaking the chlorine ammonia bond ..neutralize the chlorine and convert NH3 to NH4 a(ammonium= less toxic).

I agree check to see if you have nitrates..it is possible you missed the nitrite tio nitrate stage but if you have nitrates this may indicate you already have both bacteria we desire.
TOPFIN takes care of both chlorine and chlorimines.......
I've had false readings involving nitrItes with Amquel plus reading nearly zero when I knew it was higher because I had just switched to Amquel plus when running out of the TOPFIN stuff. Amquel plus also binds nitrItes. I went back to the TOPFIN to continue my cycling and that's why I stopped using it....

To the OP.
I just went back and read your other cycling thread and you never once mentioned aeration, or filter. I don't mean to be anal but you do have a filter of some sort hooked up and running, yes?

You mention some aeration in this thread...What does that mean exactly?

shockwave191

AC Members
Aug 24, 2006
Everyone,
I'm sorry for taking so long to reply but, the replies don't show on the forum section for me. It must be taking some time before the post actually make it to the forum section. I had to really dig to see everyone's replies as well as my own.

Injunear
I have a Red Sea Nano HOB filter on that tank and yes, it is running.

As far as the aeration, I did not fill the tank all the way up. In other words I left space between the water level and the outlet of the filter. This produces some air bubbles or aeration into the tank. I do not have an air stone with pump.

Yes, I do have NitrAtes of 10ppm.

Star-Rider
As you have mentioned I apparently did miss the nitrIte cycle. Man, did it happen fast.

SO NOW HOW DO I PROCEED FROM HERE?

First, should I switch to prime or use topfin? (Or either one at this point will be just fine)

Second, I assume I must stop the ammonia and just let the tank continue until the ammonia drops to .25ppm or less before adding any plants and fish, correct? Technically if the tank is cycled I should see the Ammonia disappear in 24 hours indicating the tank is cycled (Which I have not see). So if the Ammonia does not drop or disappear then what? The question still remains; Is the tank cycled?

Third, is there anything else I should have asked but, did not or I need to know?

Thanks a million for everyone's replies. This is great.
Chris

injunear

AC Members
Mar 10, 2008
Everyone,
I'm sorry for taking so long to reply but, the replies don't show on the forum section for me. It must be taking some time before the post actually make it to the forum section. I had to really dig to see everyone's replies as well as my own.

Injunear
I have a Red Sea Nano HOB filter on that tank and yes, it is running.

As far as the aeration, I did not fill the tank all the way up. In other words I left space between the water level and the outlet of the filter. This produces some air bubbles or aeration into the tank. I do not have an air stone with pump.

Yes, I do have NitrAtes of 10ppm.

Star-Rider
As you have mentioned I apparently did miss the nitrIte cycle. Man, did it happen fast.

SO NOW HOW DO I PROCEED FROM HERE?

First, should I switch to prime or use topfin? (Or either one at this point will be just fine)

Second, I assume I must stop the ammonia and just let the tank continue until the ammonia drops to .25ppm or less before adding any plants and fish, correct? Technically if the tank is cycled I should see the Ammonia disappear in 24 hours indicating the tank is cycled (Which I have not see). So if the Ammonia does not drop or disappear then what? The question still remains; Is the tank cycled?

Third, is there anything else I should have asked but, did not or I need to know?

Thanks a million for everyone's replies. This is great.
Chris
Having nitrAtes (assuming you have 0 in your tap water) means that you have bacteria consuming nitrItes.

If your tank is really cycled, and it appears it might be, then this is the time you do that 100% water change and add fish........You don't have to wait for the ammonia to deplete to 0.25 ppm unless you want to be sure.

Don't do the water change until shortly before getting the fish else you'll need to maintain the ammonia.

At this point it probably not going to matter much if your tank's fully cycled as you can deal with it from this point out by tracking water parameters and doing PWC's as necessary.

shockwave191

AC Members
Aug 24, 2006
Injunear,
Thanks for the reply. I will wait until I ready to add fish before doing the water change. I just don't want to kill off the NitrAte bacteria. It took so long to acheive it.

Can I add plants with the ammonia level at 2-4ppm? Should I do a water change first but, then that means I need to add fish right away?

Going back to your comment on Amquel plus, should I switch to prime or Topfin?

Thanks
Chris

injunear

AC Members
Mar 10, 2008
Injunear,
Thanks for the reply. I will wait until I ready to add fish before doing the water change. I just don't want to kill off the NitrAte bacteria. It took so long to acheive it.

Can I add plants with the ammonia level at 2-4ppm? Should I do a water change first but, then that means I need to add fish right away?

Thanks
Chris

If you're going to add fish then stick with the Amquel plus....It will benefit the fish after you add them as if there's any ammonia or nitrItes produced by them it will bind them and render them harmless and allow you time to change the water.
I'm not sure about the plants.........

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Injunear,

Thanks
Chris
Definitely add the plants. If you would have added the plants at the very beginning it could have helped cycle your tank faster. After adding plants you will need to monitor the ammonia levels and add some when they are depleted. Plants will eat up ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Adding the plants a few weeks before the fish will allow for a quarantine period and allow them to become established.

kimmisc

is in your closet.
Mar 12, 2007
Florence, SC
Just want to add that it isn't unheard of to take 2 months or longer for nitrites to show up. I've done fishy and fishless cycles, and when not seeded, it takes months for my tanks.

shockwave191

AC Members
Aug 24, 2006
Bad news everyone,
I finally checked the tap water and the 10ppm of NitrAte is from the tap water. This means the tank is still not cycled. Wow, this stinks. Anyway I guess I need to do 100% water change and start all over again. This time I will try adding some plants. THis is disappointing. If anyone has suggestions I'm open.

Thanks
Chris

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store