A Stalled Fishless Cycle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shockwave191

AC Members
Aug 24, 2006
SchizotypalVamp
Thanks. Just to let you know this is my second cycle with this tank. The first was done improperly. The question is do I start all over or hang in there for another two weeks or so, making it two months?

Thanks

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Just add the plants with your current cycle. No need to start over fresh. If you have proper lighting and fertilize them you can have your tank ready for fish in just a few weeks.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Try to get a used filter and substrate from a friends tank. You don't need a lot of but at least 1 cup. Toss the used filter in the tank with the substrate. Failing that try to get some "TLC" bacteria starter. I have used it and added fish 2 days later.

dirtydawg10

Severum Mafia Don
Sep 5, 2005
Connecticut
Try to hang in there. Definitely try to seed the tank with some filter media and/or substrate from an established tank. I have also heard that the amquel may screw up your nitrite readings so you may be further along then you think. I'm not familiar with amquel though.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Somehow I think you did get stuck. But do not lose hope. Every tank cycles eventually. In your case you just have to help it along a little. Definitely add some plants as soon a you can.The more the better. You do not need to start over. The plants will help you out a lot. Add some Florish and Florish Exel for the plants and follow the direction on the bottle. You may need more nutrients then that but this will get you started. You will be cycled in no time.

Hang in there!

Marinemom

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What is the ammonia reading on your tap? Something is being left out here. Can you shoot us a pic of the ingredients on that ammonia bottle?

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Good point. Maybe there is something wrong with the ammonia you have been adding. Might be better to add a raw shrimp in a nylon stocking and let it rot in the tank to use as your ammonia.

Marinemom

shockwave191

AC Members
Aug 24, 2006
Again thank you for all the replies and I appologize for my responses. For some reason the actual thread is still not showing up in the forum section. I'm having to dig for it by searching.

Some added info. I have incorrectly cycled this tank before with this ammonia. The first time I just added in the ammonia only once. I did not keep on feeding it as it dropped. The tank was brought up to a level of 3-4ppm and I just left it. It did cycle; however, the NitrAte of 5ppm was not enough and was basically dead.

As of now the tank is:
PH 7.6-7.8
Ammonia 2-3ppm (never dropping below 2)
NitrIte 0
NitrAte 10ppm (due to tap water)
kh 140-180 (Petsmart readings)
gh 280-300 (Petsmart readins)
Temp 82-84 (Hoping to speed up process)
HOB filer which is providing some aeration, no airstone.
Amquel Plus water conditioner (Seems good/no smell).
Has been six weeks in cycling process.
Tank only has rock substrate, nothing else.
Light off due to algae (green flaky type)
API Test kit liquid (bottled in 07/still should be good)

Tap Water (From carbon active filer on faucet)
Ammonia 0ppm
NitrAte 10ppm

Ammonia is (Could not post pic, need to learn how) Goodwin's pure ammonia. Streak Free no rinsing. Non detergent. When shaking it, it does not foam up. I assume there are on addatives mixed in.

Hope this helps.
Thanks

shockwave191

AC Members
Aug 24, 2006
rbishop,
I'm sorry I reread your post/reply and you wanted a pic of the ingredients of the ammonia. I'm sorry but there are none on the bottle.

Chris

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store