A Stalled Fishless Cycle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Just wanted to make sure it didn't have any surficants in it.

OldMan47

I love my endlers
Jan 1, 2008
Central Illinois
So the question comes down to this for me shockwave191. Where are you located? Maybe if we knew, one of us with a cycled tank would be close enough to swap filter elements with you to give you a jump start.

shockwave191

AC Members
Aug 24, 2006
rbishop,
I don't believe it does have surficants added in. I tried to do a googel search on this stuff and was not able to find much. What little I did find gave me the indication that it was good to use. One thread a person actually called the company for the ingredients and they would not state what they were??

OldMan47,
I actually live in San Jose, California. I believe those responding are a ways away. My neighbor has a 100 gallon or so aquarium so, when he does some cleaning I try to get some substrate or let my filter pad soak in his water.

As of now I added one plant. Others are on there way. I have not purchased any fertilizer as of yet. Others have mentioned what brands/kind to get so, that will be down the road. I'm hoping, snice I bought the plant from Petsmart that this may seed my tank. Not sure but I will check my water parameters in a bit.

Again thanks
the saga continues.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Ask if you can have one of his filter media pads or some of the stuff in his canister....

shockwave191

AC Members
Aug 24, 2006
Good News,
It is finally starting to cycle. Today after checking water parameters it reads as follows.

Ammonia 1-2ppm
NitrIte 1 ppm

It may have been the plant that got it going, not sure. Anyway further questions.

1) Should I continue to add ammonia to it at this stage and to what level? I
don't want to loose or kill off the good bacteria.

2) How high or to what level should the NitrIte spike to in order to get a
healthy quantity of NitrAte?

3) Should I purchase some fertilizer for the plant(s)?

Again thanks
Chris

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
keep it at 3 ppm ammonia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com