Abrassion/swelling on puffer...?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
But the other symptoms aren't really consistent with that, which is why I suspect bacterial. I am very hesitant to make many suggestions because I can't see the fish--at least not in the clarity I need. Flukes are generally more widespread and there are usually more symptoms, such as lethargy, increased breathing, scratching, etc. If you really suspect flukes, then you may want to consider freshwater dips. Just be sure to equalize temp and pH. You could even go as far as formalin, but I would stay away from that for now. Again, I am hesitant to recommend much and blindly throwing medication at the fish without knowing more could just end up killing it.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
^ Totally...I would much rather just let it subside on its own naturally. It's just that he's our most prized and most long standing fish...losing him would be beyond devastation.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
It's spread to his top fin today and a little more on his body...my leopard wrasse also has it on her tail fin as well...the fin is clear, then there is a spread spot of white on it.

Any ideas what it could be now?

Are there any anti-biotics you can soak food in?

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Very odd. Are your water parameters OK? Any new additions? Are you positive it is the same thing on the leopard wrasse? More pics?

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
No new additions...it's just my blue spot puffer which I've had for 2 years now, my leopard wrasse that I've had for about a month and a half I would say now and my diamond spotted goby that I've had for a couple months. Those are the only inhabitants along with snails, random green nudibranches that keep popping up and multiplying out of nowhere, hermit crabs and a frogspawn coral.

My water parameters are the following:

Temp - 79.9
pH - 8.3
Ca - 420 ppm
KH - 9.5
Nitrates - Undectectable
Phosphates - Undectectable

It's gotten better on their fins since yesterday...though the skin on the puffer is still looking irritated just the same.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I wouldn't be so concerned about the wrasse or goby for now. Concentrate on looking after the puffer. If it stops eating, starts looking worse, and/or the lesion keeps getting bigger, I would go ahead and treat with an antibiotic in quarantine. If that doesn't solve it, it may be time to start looking into potential parasitic causes (or different antibiotics), though the symptoms still don't seem consistent with that IME.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Looks much worse today...even more white and spread out...looks like it's eating his skin or something on that side, while the other side looks perfectly fine. He doesn't seem bothered by it at all and acts perfectly normally.

Problem is, I don't have a quarantine tank and I wouldn't know which anti-biotic to treat with as well.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Now it definitely sounds like a bacterial infection. The first order of business is to find a medium-sized tank or container (as always, bigger is better, but make sure it is manageable) for quarantine. Then look into some broad spectrum antibiotics like kanamycin or a combination of maracyn and maracyn 2. Nitrofurazone is also one I'd try if these others aren't effective. FWIW, kanamycin is made by seachem (or was at one point) as Kanaplex. The others are much easier to find. Be sure to keep non-porous materials in quarantine. You want it to be pretty stark, but comfortable enough for the fish to hide. You may have to make very frequent water changes on the tank. Just monitor it for ammonia and stay ahead of it. Don't wait until it is measurable.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
The biggest (only) tank I have on hand is my beta's old tank...it's a 5 gallon mini bow. Has a wet/dry filter and all and I could put a fake barnacle decoration in it...wouldn't it be wise to just take 5 gallons of my tank water and put it in there? My friend has a 14 gallon that I think isn't being used anymore at the moment...I can see if I can borrow that if it should be bigger.

The seachem one I think you're talking about that I found is Kanaplex. So you recommend trying that one and then the others following if the first doesn't work?

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I think the 14g is the minimum, preferably more. The more water there is, the more that stands in the way of ammonia poisoning. Yes, I'd mentioned kanaplex above. Glad to see you've found it. Go ahead and try it first, then the maracyns if that doesn't work or if the fish stops eating. Only then if even that doesn't work, try the nitrofurazone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store