Abrassion/swelling on puffer...?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Oh no...the 14 gallon is off limits...it's my ex girlfriend's tank...she said she's cycling it right now to start again with new fish. (*cough* yeah, right *cough*) So I will search further out for an empty tank I can come by. My own tank is 72 gallons, so I don't want to stuff him into something small...I would feel bad for him and he would probably get stressed out...although I'm the one that's starting to get stressed already haha.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
What makes kanaplex better than neoplex? I don't understand the differences...I am getting my hospital tank set up right now...best I could do is my 5 gallon...

Also, what is gram positive and gram negative other than the ability to get colored? How do I know which one my fish has? He's start scratching himself on the rocks recently. Will the medicine affect the beneficial bacteria as well?

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Here are a couple pictures I just took right now...perhaps you can make the final verdict on what it is and what he best method of treatment could be?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Judging by the fin along with it, it still looks bacterial to me, especially with it isolated like that.

What makes kanaplex better than neoplex is the fact that it treats both gram positive and negative bacteria, whereas neoplex treats only the former. That is what is meant by "broad spectrum" antibiotics. The primary difference in these bacteria is in their cell walls ("Gram" just refers to a staining method that colors the cell wall. Each one stains a different color). You can do a google search if you want to know more about it. Essentially gram negative bacteria evolved to have more complex and thicker cell walls, making them more impervious to various antibiotics. These bacteria also tend to be more virulent.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Thanks Amp.

So you think he has no chance of recovering without medication?

I'm going to ask another friend of mine if he has an extra tank or if he has a hospital/quarantine running in his house.

I'm kind of hesitant to throw together a hospital out of nowhere, especially a small one which could cramp him and have unstable chemistry.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
No chance? There's definitely a chance for him to pull out on his own. If you can't find a tank with a suitable size, don't just "settle" for one. Otherwise, you'll end up doing more harm than good. If that's the case, you'd be better off seeing how he does by himself. Keep taking photos to get some solid evidence that the spot is spreading or getting worse (or not at all). In the meantime, go ahead and start looking for a quarantine system with the necessary supplies (including medication) just in case.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Sounds like the most sensible and safe approach to the situation. Thanks for the rational response. Calmed my nerves a bit. I will follow your advice, as it's great.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Somebody recommended metronidazole to me...I'm guessing that kanaplex is stronger though, correct?

I was thinking that I could just put the kanaplex in his food and feed it to him at night because my wrasse buries in the sand and my goby goes under his rock and covers the openings with sand...no chance of either coming out at night when I feed my puffer, so he would be the only one eating the medicated food.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Metronidazole is primarily used as a anti-parasitic, though it does have antibacterial action. If it were me, I'd stick with some of the others mentioned, though. I honestly think they have more punch on a broader amount of bacteria than metronidazole.

You could try putting it in the food. Just run plenty of carbon and make sure your skimmer is working and try to minimize the amount that gets into the water.

Last edited:

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Metronidazole is primarily used as a anti-parasitic, though it does have antibacterial action. If it were me, I'd stick with some of the others mentioned, though. I honestly think they have more punch on a broader amount of bacteria than metronidazole.

You could try putting it in the food. Just run plenty of carbon and make sure your skimmer is working and try to minimize the amount that gets into the water.
Okay, I found the KanaPlex at a LFS and bought it. It was 11 bucks for the small bottle of it. It's powder form. I am going to administer treatment starting tonight in his food.

You know what...my skimmer actually broke and I am not currently running one...I just threw it away. I can however put carbon in a mesh bag and run that, if that would be effective. I've been meaning to get a carbon/gfo reactor...I was thinking about getting this one...

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Carbon-and-Phosphate-Remover-GFO-Media-Bags-&-Reactors/c109_85/p679/BRS-%22DUAL%22-GFO-and-Carbon-Reactor/product_info.html

Should I hold out on the medication until I am at least running a reactor?

Also, is it alright to use it in conjunction with Selcon?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store