ADA 75-P Tank Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
Some ferns under neath the thickets of stems in the middle ground might be nice.
See Jason's B's example above.

The stems top out and form a canopy, this shades the ferns.
You will need to trim aggressively.

Stems I'd leave nor lower than 5" from the top of the tank to provide cover.
This tank is similar to yours: similar size and too much light(the 150W example)

ADA AS, Rena 4 canister filter, internal bulkhead plumbing, EI dosing, 50% weekly water changes, and aggressive pruning.

It's more of a Dutch scape in most respects.

ngfrazier

AC Members
Oct 29, 2007
Lafayette, LA
Thanks for responding, Tom.

Beautiful tank. I really like the shape and variety of plants you've chosen. The pearling is really nice too (one of my favorite things to watch in a tank--is that weird?).

I like Dutch style. To be honest, as much as I like the idea of Iwagumi and Nature styles, I get bored with too few species. Some rocks, HC and a school of tetras? First month, WOW. Second month, Zzzzzz. Where's the fun? I want to learn and experiment with different species.

I think such instinct can only be "cured" by having multiple tanks. But, it will be hard to get another tank to pass the WAF (wife acceptance factor)...

Couple questions about your plants.

In the first pic, do I spot Echinodorus Angustifolia 'Vesuvius'? I was thinking of using that plant. Also, what is the red plant in the lower left? Nesaea Red or Ludwigia Peruensis? BTW, I hear that nesaea red is a PITA.

In the second pic, do I spot Myriophyllum? What is the reddish/golden plant to the middle far left? Is that Nesaea pedicellata, or Rotala? Finally, to the lower right above the red plant, do I spot Pogostemon helferi? I really like that one. Expensive little bugger to get in a decent group.

One other plant question, in the second pic to the lower right, the red plant looks a little "leggy." How do you stop the plant from shooting roots like that?

Lastly, thanks for the links to the StarkLED. Pretty neat light. I will definitely look into that option. I'm really looking forward to lights that simulate sunrise and sunset. It would allow you to enjoy the tank for longer without worrying about bursting the tank with too much light. I bet in 5 to 10 years, the salt and freshwater guys will all have LEDs.

Take care,

N

ngfrazier

AC Members
Oct 29, 2007
Lafayette, LA

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
Do both styles and see which you like.
The plant police will not come and get you.

You can change it after 1-2 years.

I'd also make that same bet about LED's.
Yes, the Echinodorus weed.
Lower left is Alternanthera reineckii
Everyone thinks it's a high light plant, nope.

Red/yellow Ludwigia cuba likely.

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
Water changes 2-3 x a week, 50-70% for the next month.
Crank CO2.

Trim the HC like a lawn down to 1/2" or less as it grows.

Maybe some fern or moss around the wood/rock interface might give a nice look. Consider that.

ngfrazier

AC Members
Oct 29, 2007
Lafayette, LA
Thanks, Tom. Some of my Dwarf Hairgrass was a little brown at the time I received them. I'll keep with the water changes and crank that CO2...

FYI, here is the regulator that I built (thanks to the posts at the BarrReport.com for dual gauge regulators):

IMG_0100.jpg
She's a Victor VTS253A-1993 with a Swagelok Whitey SS-21 metering valve, Parker stainless solenoid and check valve. All the connections are Swagelok stainless.

I was lucky: Swagelok has a shop here due to the local oil industry. I could walk in and talk with the guys about this setup. But, they were pretty confused about what I wanted to do at first... The first thing they asked when I walked in was "what company are you from?" I replied, "Uh, no company. This is for my hobby." They replied, "beer making?" I said, "I wish, but no, my aquarium." It was a nice talk, since I don't think they get many hobbyist. But, great people and it's pretty fun to learn about all the terminology and to learn how to ready industrial spec sheets.

I'll post some more pictures later....

IMG_0100.jpg

Last edited:

gagaliya

GNOME POWER!
Nov 20, 2005
NJ
www.happyreward.com
I think tom barr's preferred approach is low light, high CO2. Unfortunately most beginners do the opposite - high light, little or no co2. Luckily for me i learned this early on, it is so much easier to manage with low light, and CO2 is like the cure-all of planted aquarium.

OP, nice tank and scape but i agree with ambidestrian, remove that cube rock in the front. It looks really out of place.

cradlefan

AC Members
Jul 24, 2008
Real Name
Kris
Love the tank!!! I am actually still saving for my 75 P (pictures to follow on my journal as well, we will have to see how they turn out in the end). The reason for posting besides telling you the tank looks awesome, is I have the photobucket link for my stand I built for my tank (soon to come hopefully!). It's in my siggy at the bottom, feel free to look. I way overbuilt it, but as you know this stuff wasn't cheap and I want to protect my investment, even if that means spending a couple hundred more on beefing up the stand. After all, what good is the piece of art, if the stand holding it is worthless....I have a different look in mind for my tank, more rock work mixed in with the wood and plants, but in the end, it is you who needs to be satisfied with what you create. Good luck and looking foward to more pictures and conversation. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store