ADA 75-P Tank Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
With ferns, Anubias or crypts, the rocks will have much less meaning.
So they will be covered and produce structure under the leaves.

Little edges and bit poking out here or there at random tend to give a nice effect however for wood or Rock.

Nice CO2 build there.
$ well spent I'd say.

Nice size ADA tank and equipment. I think it would be great if the MH makers have a light intensity dial to dim them to suit.

ngfrazier

AC Members
Oct 29, 2007
Lafayette, LA
Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Point taken about the "foremost cuboid rock." (hehe). I will either take it out or get some ferns or moss to cover it, as Tom suggests. Right now, it helps to steady the new Manzanita wood.

My light is about a foot and a half or so from the top of the tank. Please see the updated pics and let me know if you guys think that is enough.

Here are my flora (no fauna yet):

(From back left to back right)
Myrio, Green
Ludwigia Peruensis
Rotala Nanjenshan
Water Sprite

The foreground is a mix of Dwarf Hairgrass and Dwarf Baby Tears.

My Green Myrio melted w/in a day or so. I had to cut the rest and save the tops. Also, the Dwarf Hairgrass has some brown leaves. I cut those down. It seems to be growing slow, and I don't see it pearling. The other plants seem to be doing well.

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Beautiful Tank!:)
I really love the DW!;)

But, I think the DW on the left ruins the flowing look because the DW on the right is flowing to the right. I would adjust the left piece and point it too the right to make the tank flow, or else, it will look weirdish eventually, I hope you understand what i am trying to say(JMO, though)

ngfrazier

AC Members
Oct 29, 2007
Lafayette, LA
Love the tank!!! I am actually still saving for my 75 P (pictures to follow on my journal as well, we will have to see how they turn out in the end). The reason for posting besides telling you the tank looks awesome, is I have the photobucket link for my stand I built for my tank (soon to come hopefully!). It's in my siggy at the bottom, feel free to look. I way overbuilt it, but as you know this stuff wasn't cheap and I want to protect my investment, even if that means spending a couple hundred more on beefing up the stand. After all, what good is the piece of art, if the stand holding it is worthless....I have a different look in mind for my tank, more rock work mixed in with the wood and plants, but in the end, it is you who needs to be satisfied with what you create. Good luck and looking foward to more pictures and conversation. :)
Hi Cradlefan,

Thanks for the compliments! I took a look at your photobucket link to your stand. It looks very well-built!!! Do you plan on painting it or staining it? Also, what kind of door do you have in mind? Keep us updated!

I think you will be pleased with the 75-p. It's a great shape. I would never scape a tank without at least 18" of depth. The only other recommendation that I'd make is not to get suckered into buying the ADA ferts and such..... They make great tanks, but a lot of the accessories are overpriced.

ngfrazier

AC Members
Oct 29, 2007
Lafayette, LA
Some updates...

I've seen some growth on the Dwarf Hairgrass, HC and Wisteria. I've had some problems with the stems I got growing weird and leggy.... had to cut them back a bit. Also, I'm seeing some brown and green algae. Got 2 otos to help and 2 mystery snails... I need to get some other algae eating fish and shrimp. I was thinking about some red crystal shrimp? Suggestions? How many?

Thanks!

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Looks great, you might want to prune the DBT/HC it seems to be growing too tall, and you could try spreading it more;)

cradlefan

AC Members
Jul 24, 2008
Real Name
Kris
I agree with you on the ferts etc being fairly overpriced. I like seachem's line of ferts fine, so that is what I will be using. I did stain the tank dark mahogany, no doors yet. My father in law is building them, I just don't have the skill or the proper tools to make cabinet doors. The frame and structure is easy enough, but there is some real skill when it comes to the doors.....

ngfrazier

AC Members
Oct 29, 2007
Lafayette, LA
The FishBoss97- Thanks for the suggestions. The only problem I'm having with the HC is transplanting it: I understand the theory, but the practice is hard. Those tiny stems are tough! Care to share a video or youtube link to help?

cradlefan - I agree with you about the woodworking skill...pretty tough to do the doors and finishing. That's what's awesome about the ADA-style stand: simple to build and simple to cover with formica. But, since you have help in the family...go for it!

Also, don't stock up on the Seachem ferts. Tom and others are WAY ahead on this: buy bulk dry ferts! WAYYYY too expensive to do it the other way. Here's a good place to purchase some: http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
The FishBoss97- Thanks for the suggestions. The only problem I'm having with the HC is transplanting it: I understand the theory, but the practice is hard. Those tiny stems are tough! Care to share a video or youtube link to help?

cradlefan - I agree with you about the woodworking skill...pretty tough to do the doors and finishing. That's what's awesome about the ADA-style stand: simple to build and simple to cover with formica. But, since you have help in the family...go for it!

Also, don't stock up on the Seachem ferts. Tom and others are WAY ahead on this: buy bulk dry ferts! WAYYYY too expensive to do it the other way. Here's a good place to purchase some: http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html

yeah, if i can find it again:)

i didn't have long tweezers at the time when i have DBT, i just got some brand new hair tweezers(3" long) and it worked great, takes a while, but worth the wait

i can't find any sorry

try searching a lot........lol

close as i got

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9BosZBNqJg

this one is for the real outdoor one, but i guess the base idea is the same?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOmUBgQyCQQ

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store