African Cichlid tank and levels questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
I may be wrong here, but I think waiting until the weekend to add fish may be too long if you've stopped dosing ammonia. Your beneficial bacteria colony may die off significantly by then. I would continue to add your daily ammonia until Thursday, then do another WC and you should be OK to add fish on Saturday. The extra time will also assure you that the cycle is truly complete.

Roody

AC Members
Sep 13, 2009
Florida
I may be wrong here, but I think waiting until the weekend to add fish may be too long if you've stopped dosing ammonia. Your beneficial bacteria colony may die off significantly by then. I would continue to add your daily ammonia until Thursday, then do another WC and you should be OK to add fish on Saturday. The extra time will also assure you that the cycle is truly complete.
Ok, thanks for the suggestion. :)

Let me ask everyone something else. Is it absolutely necessary with a cichlid tank to introduce all of them into the tank at the same time?

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
i would keep dosing until i was ready for fish. then i'd do my last w/c and head to the store.

Roody

AC Members
Sep 13, 2009
Florida
Ok thanks for the info guys.

Another question. Last night as you know I did my 90% water change. This morning I tested pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate's. For some reason my nitrite's jumped up to .50. Is this normal right after a change like that?

Thanks again.

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
Chances are that your cycle wasn't completely done. When I did my first fishless cycle on my community tank(72), I did 2 large WC's to get the nitrate down as soon as I though the cycle was done. I then added my full stocking that night(doing a fishless allows you to add your full stocking, as long as you're not ridiculously overstocked). Within a week I had lost a few fish. On my second tank(125), when I thought the cycle was complete, I continued to dose ammonia and test for another week to make sure. I then added 38 juvie mbuna all at once, that were mail ordered and overnighted. I have not lost a single fish and all are thriving and breeding. Coincidence? Maybe. But I won't add right after I cycle again until I verify it. Other forums I have read actually advise doing a verification week after you think it's done. And as mentioned, I would get the GH/KH test kits also.

Roody

AC Members
Sep 13, 2009
Florida
Chances are that your cycle wasn't completely done. When I did my first fishless cycle on my community tank(72), I did 2 large WC's to get the nitrate down as soon as I though the cycle was done. I then added my full stocking that night(doing a fishless allows you to add your full stocking, as long as you're not ridiculously overstocked). Within a week I had lost a few fish. On my second tank(125), when I thought the cycle was complete, I continued to dose ammonia and test for another week to make sure. I then added 38 juvie mbuna all at once, that were mail ordered and overnighted. I have not lost a single fish and all are thriving and breeding. Coincidence? Maybe. But I won't add right after I cycle again until I verify it. Other forums I have read actually advise doing a verification week after you think it's done. And as mentioned, I would get the GH/KH test kits also.
Man, that's a bummer. So I take it I would need to do another 90% water change again once that process is complete?

Thanks for the info.

dshipl01

DCichlidDude
Nov 10, 2009
Youngsville NC
Okay, I have been working on a fishless cycle for a 55g tank (new) that will end up being a tank for african cichlids. I just took the latest readings which are listed below. What steps do I need to take now? Am I ready to add fish? Is it time to do a 90% water change and then test again in a few days? Any help would be appreciated.

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 20ppm
pH - 7.4
Did the tank just complete the cycle? If you readings are as you say and IF the tank just completed the cycle, I would only do a 10 to 20% water change for a couple of weeks and watch the readings. If you do a 90% change, you will remove all of the good bacteria. Good Luck!

Roody

AC Members
Sep 13, 2009
Florida
Did the tank just complete the cycle? If you readings are as you say and IF the tank just completed the cycle, I would only do a 10 to 20% water change for a couple of weeks and watch the readings. If you do a 90% change, you will remove all of the good bacteria. Good Luck!
I thought it did as of yesterday because those readings were what I got at the time. I did the 90% water change which is what has been suggested when using pure ammonia and then this morning the nitrite level read .50.

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
Man, that's a bummer. So I take it I would need to do another 90% water change again once that process is complete?

Thanks for the info.
You only need to do a WC large enough to get your nitrate down to acceptable levels once the cycle is complete. These levels vary depending on who you talk to. Some say under 40 some say under 20(I use this #) as a maintenance level. The fish can stand higher, but the long term effects may be detrimental to their health eventually. Being that you already did 90% once, dosing ammonia for a few more days until you add fish shouldn't require you to do as large a WC Next time. As a guide, if your nitrate is 30ppm and you do a 50% change, it should thoeretically be 15ppm when you're done, assuming there is no nitrate in your tap water.

Dshipl01, the tank water contains little to no beneficial bacteria. That is contained in your filter media, substrate, plants, and possibly decorations. Some people do 75% weekly WC's with no ill effects(I do 40-50% weekly myself).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store