African Cichlid tank and levels questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Roody

AC Members
Sep 13, 2009
Florida
I really appreciate all the help everyone. I just verified my levels and nitrites are definitely high. Looks like I will continue putting in ammonia until the nitrites drop accordingly.

bgcoop8784

AC Members
Aug 6, 2009
Augusta GA
i thought the 90% was a little over the top, but it doesn't hurt anything, just really pointless unless you have high nitrates, under 40 is safe, under 20ppm is great, for anyone new, i wouldn't ever advise large water changes like that unless it is an extreme case where fish are in the tank and somehow ammonia or nitrites spike. It is easy for someone to not add enough conditioner and kill off good bacteria with chlorine in the water, hopefully everything will finish up soon and you can get those fish in there.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
i thought the 90% was a little over the top, but it doesn't hurt anything, just really pointless unless you have high nitrates, under 40 is safe, under 20ppm is great, for anyone new, i wouldn't ever advise large water changes like that unless it is an extreme case where fish are in the tank and somehow ammonia or nitrites spike. It is easy for someone to not add enough conditioner and kill off good bacteria with chlorine in the water, hopefully everything will finish up soon and you can get those fish in there.
I agree. I would not do a 90% WC unless there is a problem.

Roody

AC Members
Sep 13, 2009
Florida
Unfortunately there is a lot of conflicting information out there. You guys are more knowledgeable on this subject then me, but several people I personally spoke to both in person and on here and quite a few websites all call for a large change of water after a fishless cycle. I can see where people would be confused wondering what should and shouldn't be done.

In my case I hit 0ppm on the nitrites. I know that for certain. Something went down during the water change though that spiked the levels up because less then a day after that 90% water change they jumped up to 1ppm. Disheartening to say the least.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Have you checked your tap water for ammonia,nitrites and nitrates?
More than likely the your cycle was just not completely finished,but it may be your tap,and it is easy enough to check.The nitrites always take the longest to drop to 0ppm.
How long have you been cycling? Are you still adding ammonia,and how many PPM are you getting it up to?How long does it take the ammonia to drop to 0ppm?
Like the others have said,changing 90% of the water certainly won't hurt anything,but then again it is not really necessary,unless the nitrates are very high.I doubt if it had anything to do with your rise in nitrites.

Roody

AC Members
Sep 13, 2009
Florida
Have you checked your tap water for ammonia,nitrites and nitrates?
More than likely the your cycle was just not completely finished,but it may be your tap,and it is easy enough to check.The nitrites always take the longest to drop to 0ppm.
How long have you been cycling? Are you still adding ammonia,and how many PPM are you getting it up to?How long does it take the ammonia to drop to 0ppm?
Like the others have said,changing 90% of the water certainly won't hurt anything,but then again it is not really necessary,unless the nitrates are very high.I doubt if it had anything to do with your rise in nitrites.
No, I haven't checked tap water for that yet, but I am going too. I've been cycling for almost 4 weeks. As for the ammonia it drops pretty much overnight to 0ppm.

bgcoop8784

AC Members
Aug 6, 2009
Augusta GA
if everything drops that fast(amonia and nitrites), you probably are fine to add fish. but don't stop dosing until the day before adding fish that way your ben. bacteria have something to feed off of and don't start dying off.

Roody

AC Members
Sep 13, 2009
Florida
Ok thanks for the info bgcoop. I just did a nitrite test of my tap water and it came back at 0ppm while my tank water came back at 1ppm. Obviously, something is going on in the tank to raise it to that level. Just not sure what step I am at.

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
It sounds like you are very close. Usually once the ammonia is being consumed, the nitrite will rise, spike, and then seem to hang on forever. Then suddenly, almost overnight it will be gone. Then you do a WC large enough to get the nitrate down under 10 or so. When I cycled my 1st tank, when it completed the nitrate was 160ppm. So there is where the need comes in to do a very large WC. I didn't change enough the 1st time and wound up having to do another to get it low enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store