African Dwarf Frog Sick?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

longmvu

AC Members
Oct 17, 2010
i was takeing the old water out and relpleaseing it then i put the new water in(i lft the new out for 24 hour) i see the water very cloudy

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
listen, he is proboboly fine. The water is cloudy because you just started something called the nitrogen cycle.

DO NOT put any "medicine/salt" into the tank right now you are probobly killing him. Try to get blood worms into a turkey baster and then squeeze them out of the baster right in front of him. I don't think you should be feeding him shrimp, I would stick to food designed specifically for ADF's and bloodworms.

You can add a few tankmates, like more ADF's, some shrimp, and many different types of fish. Feel free to ask if you have anymore questions.

ps. Good job so far by not skimping out on equipment for the tank, make sure that you keep up with maintence and you should be fine!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
i was takeing the old water out and relpleaseing it then i put the new water in(i lft the new out for 24 hour) i see the water very cloudy
first off, make sure you use a container which has been cleaned with soap before. Second, when doing water changes you need to get new water from the tap, treat it (conditioner or PH buffer if neccesary) and then put it in the tank after removing old tank water.

If I was you, I would go to your local fish store (LFS) and ask them to check your water for you. Stores like petsmart and petco will do this, and your typical mom and pop store should too.

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
I think a lot of your problems are coming from the fact that you are working with an uncycled tank. Are you changing all the water when you do water changes? I would def recommend reading the section on cycling your tank with fish or in this case a frog already in the tank. Here is a link to that: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84598

I would definitely NOT put any more creatures in your tank until you have cycled it, and resolved whatever issue is going on with your frog. As for salt, I would stop putting that in the water. Aquatic frogs have sensitive skin and most do not do well with salt. It is something that can be used to treat illness if neccessary, but you do not know what is wrong with the frog. The best thing you could do in my opinion, would be to read up on how to cycle, do water changes, and how to care for ADFs. They don't see well, so holding blood worms close to your frog will help him find the food and make it easier for him to eat. Getting the water params consistent will most likely help him also. You can find quite a few threads on how to care for ADF's and how to get and keep your tank stable on AC by using the search option and looking up some older threads about it. There is also a good bit of info about them out there on the net, although it is not always accurate, so be careful.

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
listen, he is proboboly fine. The water is cloudy because you just started something called the nitrogen cycle.

DO NOT put any "medicine/salt" into the tank right now you are probobly killing him. Try to get blood worms into a turkey baster and then squeeze them out of the baster right in front of him. I don't think you should be feeding him shrimp, I would stick to food designed specifically for ADF's and bloodworms.

You can add a few tankmates, like more ADF's, some shrimp, and many different types of fish. Feel free to ask if you have anymore questions.

ps. Good job so far by not skimping out on equipment for the tank, make sure that you keep up with maintence and you should be fine!
Do NOT listen to the advice about adding more tank mates right now. as the tank is still cycling, let the tank finish cycling. adding more creatures and bioload (aka poop and pee) to the tank will only cause the water chemistry to fluctuate more and can cause more harm to the frog. Second, feeding shrimp to the frog is fine, as long as you provide a variety of foods and not just shrimp alone, its fine.

Like Ash and others have said, they have poor eyesight, so feeding the frog with tweezers or eyedropper to put the food directly in front of him/her would make things easier for him/her to eat.

Your water is cloudy simply because your tank is still establishing itself. Keep doing water changes and making sure to dechlorinate the water.

Unfortunately, I can't say for sure the long term health of the frog without seeing a picture or having exact readings from your tank. As said before, dip strips are unreliable for exact reading. However, they can be useful for a quick check if you think the tank may be having issues.

I've had a few ADF's and I was able to keep 3 alive for a few years before they disappeared (I think another fish got big enough to eat them). The biggest thing to remember is that frogs do absorb a lot through their skin, so water changes are very important right now.

longmvu

AC Members
Oct 17, 2010
wait a min did i say 1 male african dwarf frog i ment there another 1 female african dwarf frog

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
I think regardless of whether you have 1 female, 1 male, or 1 of each, the advice remains the same.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store