African Dwarf Frog Sick?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

longmvu

AC Members
Oct 17, 2010
1 of my frog might have [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chytridiomycosis[/FONT]

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
well as far as sexing them...if they are not matured at all yet then you might not be able to tell. When they are getting sexually mature, the male gets little pimple looking things on his front arm pits, and the male is more narrow shaped and much smaller than females, but they are social creatures and live fine together as far as I know. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with 2 males or 2 females if that is what you have.

As far as the Chytridiomycosis, I had 2 frogs die from this recently. Apparently it is making its rounds in the herp community like crazy. What are your frogs symptoms? There are a really WIDE variety of symptoms including reddening skin among other things. My frogs actually looked like they were seizing at the top of the tank and then they just died....however there are a LOT of symptoms that can present. Would definitely help if you could list the symptoms and maybe even get a picture.

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
Jumping up and down at the top of the water? Almost like gulping for air?

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
If it is jumping up and down like it is gulping for air at the top of the tank, that is what my frog did shortly before it died. I hope this isn't happening, but it very well could be. I have been hearing a lot of stories of Chytridiomycosis lately. You can look up the disease and see how people have succeeded in treating it, but from what I understand it is REALLY difficult to treat and highly contagious. I wish you luck though. - Ash

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
Walking on the bottom of the tank? I've not seen an aquatic from walk really. I am having a hard time understanding some of your posts. Have you checked out the links on cycling, and are you keeping up water changes to keep the water quality safe for the frogs? Have you tried all the feeding methods that were mentioned? What kind of jumping did you mean when you listed that as a symptom? Is the frog still doing it? Are there other symptoms? ....From what you have described so far, I would say it was either that the frogs were having trouble from water conditions in an uncycled tank, or they may indeed have Chytridiomycosis, but people would need more info to even try to diagnose either thing.

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
Unfortunately, I don't know much of any other way to help you. maybe someone else can share their info

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store