Alage Eaters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Which is the best overall algae eater especially for BBA?

• Siamese Algae Eater

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Olive Nerite Snail

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Yeah... I've never known any of my nerites or clithons to touch BBA either. SAE's are definitely the way to go for that problem.

JL15219

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
South Texas
I'd do away with the DIY CO2 and start cutting your lights. You'll want to manually remove as much BBA as possible first. Reducing the amount of time your lights are on everyday really helps get the stuff in check.

Lupin, I wish your nerites would teach my nerites to eat BBA! Mine won't touch the stuff. Probably tastes as gross as it looks.
I have cut most of the leaves that had BBA and my lights are on for 8hrs......but is continues to come back...So the snails wont eat this stuff..I have heard several people say that they will....

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
SAEs eat BBA but when they are pampered with anything else, they tend to ignore the BBA. If fasted for a few days, they switch to BBA. Mine wiped off all the BBA while I was on vacation last December. That being said, the fact people blame SAEs for failing to do their job, it is not the SAEs' fault. They just prefer more delectable foods compared to the yucky BBA unless their options are not available temporarily.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I've never known nerites to like anything else but algae. I tried other means until last month was the only time I discovered 3 nerites eating cucumber slice. According to some snail keepers, they like pea-flavored snail jello but I haven't tried it yet, at least not the flavor.

aprilleigh

AC Members
Feb 3, 2009
Mine seem to like zucchini slices. I haven't tried shelled peas yet, although I've heard they like those as well.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Though nerites are definitely the way to go for slime, spot, or surface covering algaes, they tend to completely ignore any and all of the hair type algaes in my experience. They have a great reputation for being amazing algae eaters, so they may just be winning cuz of people parroting info. It is the rare nerite or the hungry SAE that will eat bba, your choice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store