Algae eaters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
how sure are you that it is a CAE? SAE's get about 5-6 inches long and are peaceful, and look almost identical to CAE's. they also look almost identical to flying foxes. CAE's get about a foot long and most of them get mean and change to a more carniverous diet as they get bigger.

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
Alestro Bakai said:
Is it ok to keep nitrifying bacteria in my tank, or do I have to do that myself as well?

don't be a smartass. its very unatractive.

Alestro Bakai

Shaman of the Whills
Apr 20, 2006
RockabillyChick said:
don't be a smartass. its very unatractive.
As is silly preaching and ranting. Where DO you draw the line? At algae eaters, and no further, or do we include shrimp, clams and cories? Why stop there? If we're trying to find things we could be doing ourselves, we might as well keep out filter media as well. So I think that if you really want to show us how serious you are about 'correct' tank keeping, you should get rid of your nitrifying bacteria. If none of those people can enjoy the convenience of a clean up crew, I don't think you should be enjoying the convenience of a cycled tank.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Alestro Bakai said:
As is silly preaching and ranting. Where DO you draw the line? At algae eaters, and no further, or do we include shrimp, clams and cories? Why stop there? If we're trying to find things we could be doing ourselves, we might as well keep out filter media as well. So I think that if you really want to show us how serious you are about 'correct' tank keeping, you should get rid of your nitrifying bacteria. If none of those people can enjoy the convenience of a clean up crew, I don't think you should be enjoying the convenience of a cycled tank.

he's got a point here... :shark:

Wishful

AC Members
Jun 4, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Yep. I originally got my otocinclus because they do a great job of cleaning many types of algae off delicate plant structures. They're a backup to my own tank maintainance efforts, and very valuable to me for their algae eating habits. They're also an adorable fish with intersting habits and sublte beauty.
No reason a tank inhabitant can't serve multiple functions.

I quite like ghost shrimp on their own, but they're mostly in my tank as an additional part of providing a stable good environment. They work in conjuction with my efforts, not in place of them.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Alestro Bakai said:
I sort of agree... but I still think you shouldn't get one JUST to eat algae...

Last edited:

Rowangel

I like fish with tarter sauce
Jan 20, 2006
Champaign, Illinois
Has anyone actually seen ghost shrimp do a decent job of cleaning algae? I must admit that for as long as I’ve had them I haven’t seen a whole lot in terms of cleaning from them, but I know they must on some level. I keep them both because I like them and because I feed the smaller ones to my spotted leaf fish. I’ve know they are supposed to be a good cleaning crew to have, but must admit I don’t see them do a whole lot of anything. My feedings are first thing in the morning and the shrimp know this, so they all come out of hiding to get a chance at any dropped food. For this reason alone I think they are good to keep around, but I question their impact on algae, my cherry shrimp at least eat hair algae…

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Rowangel said:
Has anyone actually seen ghost shrimp do a decent job of cleaning algae? I must admit that for as long as I’ve had them I haven’t seen a whole lot in terms of cleaning from them, but I know they must on some level. I keep them both because I like them and because I feed the smaller ones to my spotted leaf fish. I’ve know they are supposed to be a good cleaning crew to have, but must admit I don’t see them do a whole lot of anything. My feedings are first thing in the morning and the shrimp know this, so they all come out of hiding to get a chance at any dropped food. For this reason alone I think they are good to keep around, but I question their impact on algae, my cherry shrimp at least eat hair algae…
i've seen my ghost shrimp eat hair algae, but that's about it.

Last edited:

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
What most people don't realize about most algae eaters is that they tend to produce more waste than the average fishies. Plus people who get them simply to eat algae also usually dont know that they need other food as well. Another bad thing about getting an algae eater just for algae is that some of them grow very large or stop eating algae as they mature. I have a whiptailed catfish who eats algae, he is my only algae eater. He wasnt purchased for the purpose of eating algae, and he does get fed other foods. Although, I haven't needed a fish to eat algae since I haven't had a problem with it in either of my tanks.

Akysten

AC Members
May 28, 2006
I Disagree...

I will always have a fish that will help with cleaning the algae. They don't clean it all, but they sure help to make my job easier. I don't have to clean the algae nearly as often. Probably only about a third of what I have to do with a tank without the algae eater.

To be honest, If it wasn't for their usefulness, they wouldn't be my first choice for my tank. First and formost, they are there to help with algae. But they're also cool fish to own as well. I also enjoy them, and my son is obsessed with the Pleco! Win Win WIN!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store