Algae eaters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blackwolfXKAV

Homo sapiens
Apr 20, 2006
New England Abroad.
Bottom Line

the bottom line here is that you shouldnt get an algae eating fish just because you think you need it. Your tank should be able to support the fish's MAXIMUM size and compatability needs. Also, lets not jump down each other's throats; the comment was aimed at people who buy and complain. I have two peppered corys because i not only find them attractive, but because it is good to have a mixed-dwelling tank. the corys also have individual personalities.

Alestro Bakai

Shaman of the Whills
Apr 20, 2006
dorkfish said:
You need to do some more research before keeping an aquarium, as your are oblivious to the fact that unless bio-spira was added, the bacteria enter the tank by themselves - through the air and/or (although very unlikely becuase chlorine and chloramines are added in order to kill bacteria) water, in order to get a bite to eat.

Now "algae eaters" on the other hand, are purchased by YOU, and YOU decide that the fish is gonna go into "slave labour" and eat algae or die. There's a differene between the two and you aren't smart enough to know that.
Oh I'm sorry... did you help her setup the tank? Then I don't think you know if she added bio spira or not. I'm sorry that my somewhat subtle humor escapes you. :laugh:

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
its not funny. your being a jackass. the bacteria in your tank are vital for a healthy ecosystem. just like water changes are vital, and for almost the same reason. algae eating fish are not necessary to maintain a healthy tank, nor should they be relied upon to keep the tank clean. in many cases, they only serve to create even more bioload and do little or nothing at all to clean the algae.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
I agree with you, RockabilyChick. That guy is a jackass. He told me not to get personal when I went on a rant about how bettas are often said to be "boring" because they're usually housed in sub-par situations with no stimulation. Yeah, it's personal, because I happen to CARE. Anyway, I'm totally on your side about this dude.

Alestro Bakai

Shaman of the Whills
Apr 20, 2006
Wow. I'm sorry that I incite all 3 of you to the point where you think you have to attack my personality. I understand we're on the internet, which provides the anonymity some people enjoy, but that doesn't mean that any of you have to get personal, call me names and such, because I don't happen to share your opinions. After all, this is about fish... not religion, politics or any other high profile topic in our world today.

If you go back in this thread, I suggest you search real well for any insult I've thrown your way. I'm sure you will find that I didn't.

Also, I never denied RockabillyChick her right to express her opinion. Not once did I call her a name, question her integrity or intelligence (all things all 3 of you have done to me). I merely stated my factual point of view regarding her post.

I'm starting to wonder if your kind of behaviour is the accepted and tolerated type of conduct which stands for Aquaria Central?

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Alestro Bakai

Don't take it personally. I think the chicks are cycling themselves lol.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
Lol, Ice :D
I accept your point of view now, Alestro, even if I don't agree with it. Thanks for a civilized and thought-out response. I know I'm a crazy, moody chick. It's one of the joys of being female :p: At least you're not my boyfriend. He's had to put up with me 24/7 for nearly six years. Poor guy.

I did not mean any of this post to sound sarcastic. I don't know how well it came through in writing.

Last edited:

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
you did not. you made a sarcastic, flippant response intended to belittle my oppinions and views. you were making fun of me for expressing my feelings that newbies shouldn't rush out to get an algae eater because there's a spot of algae the size of a dime on one of their ornaments, and i don't appreciate it.

Alestro Bakai said:
Wow. I'm sorry that I incite all 3 of you to the point where you think you have to attack my personality. I understand we're on the internet, which provides the anonymity some people enjoy
seriously, how stuck up is this comment? your essentially saying "I'm sorry your all a bunch of morons who can't see how right i really am. you wouldn't say that to my face because your all cowards who use the anonymity of the internet to make yourselves feel bigger"

Last edited:

Alestro Bakai

Shaman of the Whills
Apr 20, 2006
RockabillyChick said:
seriously, how stuck up is this comment? your essentially saying "I'm sorry your all a bunch of morons who can't see how right i really am. you wouldn't say that to my face because your all cowards who use the anonymity of the internet to make yourselves feel bigger"
Unfortunately, the part in bold is absolutely correct. I believe there are several stages to an argument. Commonly, people jump to the aggrevated, angered stage much more quickly when they're enjoying the de-humanized anonymity of the internet.

I'm not implying that I'm right, or that you're wrong. My original intention was to provide an alternate view. It seemed wrong to me to judge and label people based on the fact that they own algae eaters as part of their cleanup crew. They aren't doing anything wrong, they're just not agreeing with you. Owning algae eaters for the purpose of eating algae doesn't make them bad or unexperienced fish keepers.

Personally, I own several algae eaters, for the explicit purpose of eating algae. I don't fit your profile at all. I always take into consideration that an algae eater is another fish in my tank, but the advantages far outweight their added bioload. I suppose you -could- call me lazy, because I don't want to spend a whole lot of time cleaning algae, but then again, that was my whole argument. If someone's doing the 'wrong' thing because they own algae eaters to eat algae, then should they be allowed to own ghost shrimp, clams or cories as part of their cleanup crew? My initial argument still stands - where would you draw the line?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Wow, everyone, let's just think about this.

Who's toes were stepped on? Who'se wheaties were peed in? Why on EARTH is it okay to call someone names? Oh, right--it's not. So knock it off. Alestro's intitial poinst was perhaps a little flippant, but in no means wrong or rude, so why was everyone's response so nasty?

Get over it. If you're tying so much of your ego to your posts that anything to contrary is going to put you into a snit, you're in for some rough times. If someone disagrees with something you say, respond to it rationally, as an adult. Name calling, and sniping, really aren't considered adult any more.

Oh, and if you're wondering if I'm addressing you specifically here...Decide for yourself. As the old saying goes, if the shoe fits, wear it. And then, decide you that's how you WANT to be seen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store