Algae eaters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tai95

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
I'm kinda surprised that no one has brought up the fact that if your aquarium is properly maintained you shouldn't ever have an algae problem. There are many things you can do to combat algae besides trying to get a fish/shrimp/snail to do it for you.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
yeah, my aquarium has practically no algae... second some appears, it is gobbled up by my pleco, platies, or ghost shrimp. I think it is because my tank is planted, and my plants compete with them too much for space and light.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I think the point of the rant was that you don't need to add an algae eater because you have algae.

You could buy a scrubber. You could do what you need to do to get the tank balanced so algae can't thrive.

Anytime I see a post asking what type fish I will always point them the other way. Most people don't have room for an algae eating fish anyway. You should never add a fish for convience.

I have a 75 gallon Pred tank. I can't add algae eaters, they'd be lunch. But I don't have algae because my tank is balanced. I don't want plecos because they are clumsy and will uproot my plants.

Algae eaters are for lazy people....

Though I do have 3 ottos in the 55 gallon...But because they're cool looking and it was the only time I've seen them in this area.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
i've never had trouble with plecos uprooting plants, even big ones.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
tai95 said:
I'm kinda surprised that no one has brought up the fact that if your aquarium is properly maintained you shouldn't ever have an algae problem. There are many things you can do to combat algae besides trying to get a fish/shrimp/snail to do it for you.
Amen, Tai. I think I was having so much trouble initially with brown algae because my tank was new. Once everything settled down and got balanced (plants were growing, nitrifying bacteria happy), I had the hardest time TRYING to grow algae for my oto's. As you all know, now I'm farming it in a separate container, rather than try to force an imbalance in favor of algae.

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
Alestro Bakai said:
As is silly preaching and ranting. Where DO you draw the line? At algae eaters, and no further, or do we include shrimp, clams and cories? Why stop there? If we're trying to find things we could be doing ourselves, we might as well keep out filter media as well. So I think that if you really want to show us how serious you are about 'correct' tank keeping, you should get rid of your nitrifying bacteria. If none of those people can enjoy the convenience of a clean up crew, I don't think you should be enjoying the convenience of a cycled tank.
your statement is so ludicrous its not even worth responding to.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
RockabillyChick said:
AMEN!

karen99

AC Members
Nov 21, 2005
I keep plenty of algae eating fish and snails in my planted tank. And - it's been running for 5 months with NO serious algae problems, haven't even had to clean the glass ever. And, with all the plants I can never get nitrates above 0 without adding extra nitrogen... I've let it go as long as a month without a waterchange once and nitrates stay at 0. I think the right combination of fish and plants really can reduce maintenance a lot.
But I didn't get the fish just to eat algae. With the oto's - I had one mysteriously appear in my tank (must have hitchhiked in on a plant) and of course I had to get him some friends. And the SAE's are just nice fish. Under bright light their bellies are irridescent.

Alestro Bakai

Shaman of the Whills
Apr 20, 2006
RockabillyChick said:
If you think so.

You're the one who has thrown all those poor defenseless bacteria into a lifetime of slave labor. with no way out. You're the one who filled that glass box with water. You should be cleaning up your own ammonia!

Free algae eaters and nitrifying bacteria worldwide NOW!

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
Alestro Bakai said:
If you think so.

You're the one who has thrown all those poor defenseless bacteria into a lifetime of slave labor. with no way out. You're the one who filled that glass box with water. You should be cleaning up your own ammonia!
You need to do some more research before keeping an aquarium, as your are oblivious to the fact that unless bio-spira was added, the bacteria enter the tank by themselves - through the air and/or (although very unlikely becuase chlorine and chloramines are added in order to kill bacteria) water, in order to get a bite to eat.

Now "algae eaters" on the other hand, are purchased by YOU, and YOU decide that the fish is gonna go into "slave labour" and eat algae or die. There's a differene between the two and you aren't smart enough to know that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store