Amazon River Disaster & Global Warming Facts

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
the ignorance of humanity is astonishing beyond words...

getting the word out might be the first step, but turning off our pc's for one hour a night and doing something about it would be much more successful...

each individual CAN offset what that individual causes many times over... but no government has the ability to offset what it's people causes on any day thus far...

industry needs to be held accountable. if one were to instate a law where any company making (x) amount of dollars of gross annual profit (lets say the biggest 1 or 2 percent profit wise) were federally mandated to invest (y) amount into wind, solar, etc. energy this would boost sales in green power industries to the point where prices would/could drop fast enough to make it financially appealing to the masses. once it's cheaper to use green fuels than it is to plug into the power company that's using jet fuel to power it's turbines to keep our a/c's running... well, cheap is appealing....

people (government and industry included) just need to think rationally about the legacy that we leave our children... as a whole.

nuclear, for example is one source that IMO is still at least 50 yrs of research away from being the "safe" fuel it's thought to be today. anyone who disagrees, i would challenge to recollect what problems BP had recently and think back how long we've been totally dependent on that fuel/technology... then compare/contrast the scope of disasters that are possible with a "slip of the wrist" or one paid off inspection............ AFAIK one drill hole blowing can't send off a chain reaction that sets the rest of them off across an entire continent/nation to destroy all known life on the planet. nuclear theoretically has that capability........................ fission especially....

as a whole, we are one seriously ignorant, arrogant PEST species.... like ticks that have invaded/colonized every square inch of a host drilling for blood on more unprecedented levels on a minute by minute basis... our host is dying and yet there's a good majority of individuals of our "intelligent" species that sees no signs of it.........

funny how insignificant the hole in our ozone seems to have become in a decade... in light of our mass extinctions... which is so insignificant... in light of our global warming....
(yes, i understand there may or may not be a correlation between the former and latter depending who paid the scientists looking at both and who you're talking to)

and here i sit, obviously possessing the ability to send this communication. thus i am no better......
I AGREE!!!!! 100%!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
I AGREE!!!!! 100%!
:thumbsup:

oh boy, is there sooo much more to touch on here. ;)

"drill, baby, drill" [sarcasm]some real thinkers there!!!!!! :lipssealedsmilie:[/sarcasm]

[sarcasm]sometimes i thank g'ness we've advanced to the point we can sustain so many "intelligent individuals" (humans) on our world[/sarcasm] (pertaining only to sustainability and the technology and the raping of our planet that makes it possible)

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
While you like to point out the "stupidity" of humans for global warming, there is still no definitive proof it's people causing it. The biggest problem being climate data has only been collected for a very short period of time, and how the clime really works has only been studied through geological and ice cap data. While that gives clues to how the climate was, and gives ideas for how the climate changes, the fact is, they still have no clue what the true factors are causing the changes to the climate. They try to use carbon dioxide in the atmosphere as the major "green house gas". The fact is the largest greenhouse gas is WATER. Geologically speaking, the Earth is well overdue for it's next climate shift. Do the research, it's normal for the planet (not always healthy for the animals living on it) to shift it's climate. As an example, Antarctica used to be a temperate rain forest.

Volcanic activity in recent years have thrown more carbon dioxide into the air than people can produce. Until some scientist can point out the true magnitude of factors causing climate change, then I won't believe it's people doing most the damage.
And at the time Antarctica was much closer to the equator. Its moved down there over time, and the temperate forests died off. I am a true believer that humans have worsened or set off or sped up the natural process of global warming. Granted, it was already under way when humans arrived at the industrial revolution but i can garentee that we have helped it along quite a bit, and if we don't change our ways soon enuff we will have royally screwed ourselves and in 10 thousand years when an alien civilization finds the ruins of our world after we've ripped it apart in search of oil and water and wiped it clean in our wars with weapons better left uncreated they will look at this and think "well, at least we won't have to meet that species".

While I agree that Global Warming is a normal procces that humans did not create, I do think that right now earth has a disease, like a fish, called 'humantitis'. Its a very rare disease that causes the planets natrual balance to go out of wack, and without this natural balance the things that are a normal part of earth can become more perminent.

To explain the metaphor, i believe that because of humans destroying all of earths natural buffers this global warming will be far more devastating then any before, maybe even enuff to wipe out humans on a whole, maybe only enuff to destroy our civilization utterly. Once we fall, there is no coming back ,we've used up all the resources we have and they will not come back.

And by buffers i mean:

-The aquifers all over the planet that can keep river flowing even after the rain stops and drought sets in. Which are being drained far faster then they can fill by greedy human cities and farms.
-The rainforests that take CO2 out of the atmosphere and put oxygen back it Which we have cut down in larger numbers then ever before.
-The vast diversity of life that can survive almost anything due it the differences, which we are destroying by introducing exotic species into environments not suited or ready for them.
-The damage we are doing to the fresh water systems of our planet.
-The damage we are doing to the oceans of our planet, which help bring warmth to the colder north and coldness to the warm south, balancing the global temp.
-The damage we are doing to the landscape, flattening it out and putting big, heat and pollutant generating cities there instead.
-Fertilizers that cause deadly plankton blooms in rivers, lakes, and oceans.
-Oil spills that wipe out entire swaths of ocean.
-Deforestation that destroys species we've never even heard of or seen or documented, let alone figured out what purpose they serve in the grand design of earth.

And on top of all that, once the water runs out, and the oils starts running really low, wars will start. I bet my bottom dollar that nuclear weapons will be used, as well as many others like biological weapons and other, deadlier weapons. I bet my bottom dollar that after humans go to war over water there will be only traces of our civilization left over, even fewer then the Greeks and Romans and Aztecs and Egyptians, because the weapons we will use will wipe those things from the surface of the earth, and what little survives will degrade far quicker then anything made of granite and marble.

I know what your thinking "thats a doomsday scenario, worst case possibility". Well, IMO, its the most likely thing to happen, seeing as humans have gone to war over much lesser things in the past, and used these weapons. I, personally, hope to any and all possible gods out there that this does not happen, but I honestly think such a thing will happen, if humans are unprepared to suffer the consequences of what we have done. We are bad parasites, harming the host we depend on for survival. Now that host is sick, and we are getting the worst of it, or starting to anyway. And if that host should die... well, you can figure that out on your own.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Oh, and a very nice saying by someone i cannot remember the name of:

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Its not the older generation, not the people running governments who will be dealing with this, its the next one, my generation and those after it, that will suffer the consequences of what our ancestors have done.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
There are parts of Greenland that are now being farmed that haven't been productive since the Vikings were the big guys on the block. Tell the people there that global warming is a bad thing. It's all a matter of perspective.
you live in the US right? Well, when the Midwest dries up and becomes a second Sahara desert, don't come complaining to me that your hungry, go to Siberia, which will be a large temperate forest and grassland area about 50-100 years AFTER the midwest has become a dust-bucket.

Yes, global warming makes colder climates farmable, but not fast enough, not soon enough to save the billions that will die of starvation without water to grow crops. And now, lets go to the Great Barrier Reef, in this warm future of yours. It will be about 10-20 feet deeper underwater then it was, and that water will be much more fresh then it was, since only freshwater is frozen in the north and south icecaps. (AFAIK)

"And to you left you can see the dead remains of the Great Barrier Reef, once among the most diverse places on earth, life-wise, now a large dead pile of coral skeletons and some fish that can still ive here. And before those corals could grow in new places farther north they were wiped out or depleted in number to much to propagate the northern waters fast enuff to save the fish species, and those fish died out, then without them to feed the oceans and humans, that food-chain collapsed. And thats why were viewing this from inside a spaceship, the air out there is to toxic for us to breath now..."

And thats my response to your post.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Andy, you are only helping me point out the earth is ever changing, the plates are still moving, and not to long ago (geologically) there was no ice cap. Do I think that man has devastated the environment, yes. However, they have no clue what the real reasons are for global warming. There was a thread on here once where many of us took the time to point out the scientific documentation for the greenhouse gas levels in the atmosphere. I'm just annoyed with alarmists that speak out before they really know whats going on.
Hmm, lets see.

Earth is always changing eh? Well, lets tell that to the dinos, wiped out by a meteor in combination with the collision of 2 continents and the eruptions of a large number of volcanoes. And lets tell that to neanderthal and woolly mammoth, both wiped out by humans in our primitive prehistory years. And now lets tell that to the Romans, wiped out by changing religions and barbarian invasions. And next, lets tell that to the Polar Bears and Arctic Foxes and Seals and Walruses and Wales and Fish and Wolves and Alligators and all the other unnamed millions of plants and creatures wiped out or being wiped out by humans and human actions since we reached the industrial age. And now lets go tell our children and grandchildren that when, 50 years from now, they are battling each other simply to get enough food and water to survive the day. So, what do you think of you argument now?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
............ AFAIK one drill hole blowing can't send off a chain reaction that sets the rest of them off across an entire continent/nation to destroy all known life on the planet. nuclear theoretically has that capability........................ fission especially....
Just FYI......not really true on any of the current active energy producing fissioning plants in the world......

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
CaptainCaveman, why don't you start here:
http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science/index.html#ref
http://www.newscientist.com/topic/climate-change
http://www.exploratorium.edu/climate/
http://www.ipcc.ch/

The biggest initiative on capping greenhouse gasses is the Kyoto Protocol, signed and ratified by 121 countries, NOT INCLUDING THE US. We are not leaders in Green initiatives, nor are we even close. China, the BIGGEST producer of greenhouse gasses does not have to follow the protocol because they are listed as a developing nation, and under Kyoto, developing nations do not have to restrict their use of fossil fuels. Bush (the 2nd one) pulled the US out of the Kyoto protocol because they wanted to change China's status to non-developing. So since they hold over 1/3 of the US national debt, we backed them up. As of right now there is no green legislation or regulations within the US.

Industrialization, burn and slash farming, cow farms, and use of fossil fuels ALL CONTRIBUTE TO THE GREENHOUSE EFFECT. Thats Science. Not propaganda. EVEN THE EPA, a division of the US GOVERNMENT, acknowledges that PEOPLE ARE HUGE CONTRIBUTORS TO GLOBAL WARMING. IN FACT, WE DIRECTLY CAUSED GLOBAL WARMING, GREENHOUSE EFFECTS, ENVIRONMENTAL PROBLEMS LIKE EXTINCT AND ENDANGERED SPECIES ETC.

If you don't believe that, do me a favor and stop talking because you don't know what the hell you are talking about. Go ahead and listen to those who say it doesn't exist or isn't caused by humans, and then in 20 years when the climate changes so drastically that food production is all be halted, don't cry that you are hungry. And definitely don't do your own research because thats just crazy, everything they say on corporate owned television HAS to be TRUE right?!

Respectfully,
Maribeth
Your use of the word "respectfully" made me snort coffee out of my nose! Are you a professional comedian?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store