Amquel+ vs. Prime

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hitman12131976

Resident Calculus Teacher
Apr 30, 2007
Covina, CA
www.eosclan.com
AmQuel+
  • AmQuel+ is nontoxic and saves on the need for as many water changes
  • AmQuel+ removes/detoxifies all of the kinds of toxic nitrogen compounds in the water
  • AmQuel+ removes/detoxifies all forms of chloramines/ammonia/ammonium/nitrites/nitrates from the water
  • AmQuel+ stability and reliability reduces the need for water quality tests of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate
  • AmQuel+ removes/detoxifies toxic pheromones from the water
  • AmQuel+ does not affect the water's pH (acidity/alkalinity)
  • AmQuel+ does not interfere with the beneficial nitrifying bacteria or their food sources
  • AmQuel+ does not interfere with the beneficial sludge-removing bacteria or their food sources
PRIME
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Prime™ removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia.
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Prime™ converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter.
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Prime™ may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity.
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Prime™ detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them.
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Prime™ also promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Prime™ is non-acidic and will not impact pH.
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Prime™ will not overactivate skimmers.
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Use at start-up and whenever adding or replacing water.[/FONT]
Which is better? They seem similar to me. Any plus or minuses towards one or the other? I hear the PRIME is basically a water conditioner, where you just add this to the water when you do a water change; of course it also has other benefits. Is AmQuel+ the same?

I currently have AmQuel+ by Kordon (Novalek) that I use whenever I see that Ammonia may be present, which isn't occurring often at all. I use AquaSafe w/BioExtract by Tetra as a water conditioner and EasyBalance w/Nitraban by Tetra for further conditioning. When I do a water change, I put both the AquaSafe and EasyBalance into the water to treat it. Should I just stop the addingo of both of these and just use Prime? or AmQuel+?

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
not sure about amquel, but a little tiny bit of prime goes a LONG way... IE. 1 drop per gallon, est. that makes it quite economical.

hitman12131976

Apr 30, 2007
Covina, CA
www.eosclan.com
I know AmQuel+ uses 1 Teaspoon per 10 gallons, so Prime would only need 1 mL compared to AmQuel+'s 5mL. I also note that AmQuel+ doesn't treat chlorine in the water, just chloramine.

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
I know AmQuel+ uses 1 Teaspoon per 10 gallons, so Prime would only need 1 mL compared to AmQuel+'s 5mL. I also note that AmQuel+ doesn't treat chlorine in the water, just chloramine.

Amquel+ DOES treat chlorine in the water. What would give you the impression that it doesnt?

hitman12131976

Apr 30, 2007
Covina, CA
www.eosclan.com
I'm not a chemist, but the AmQuel+ product says it detoxifies chloramine but doesn't specifically state chlorine, like PRIME does. PRIME mentions both. Unless treating chloramine implies that it also treats chlorine. I'm not sure, like I said, I'm no chemist. I own AmQuel+, but I don't use it anymore. Should I be using it during water changes?

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
All of the newer water conditioners treats chlorine and chloramine and are effective at doing it. The big difference with Prime compared to Amquel is the concentration, a little bit of Prime will treat more water than a similar amount of other water conditioners.

I use both, Amquel for my small tanks and Prime for my bigger ones. I'm lazy and just use the caps for measurement, a capful of Amquel is enough for a 10-20g tank but a capful of Prime would be overkill.

Oh yeah, all the other "water conditioners" like NovaQua and Easy Balance I don't use, if it's not for treating chlorine or chloramine then it isn't needed.

hitman12131976

Apr 30, 2007
Covina, CA
www.eosclan.com
what ever floats your boat. i use prime only now.

No other chemicals, treatments, or anything? I know AmQuel+ is supposed to be used with NovAqua (it's sister chemical that conditions the water) which is why I think Prime is still better as one bottle of Prime does what two bottles have to do. Once my water conditioner is done, I'm gonna get me some Prime.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store