Amquel+ vs. Prime

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Anquel pllus makes more grandouis claims but it is essentially the same as Prime as far as I can tell. Both will do you well. Just don't waste your money on those other water conditioning products in addition. Pime or Amquel Plus. That's all you need.

romarbbs

AC Members
Jan 27, 2008
sounds like prime would be the better of the two. does anyone know if stresscoat is the same ? i have been using that and that is 1 tsp per 10 gal.

oscaremmy

Keeper of the Frogdog
Feb 27, 2008
East Central Indiana, USA
I'm not sure if anyone here has read whether Amquel's makers did tests of water quality in labs to be able to claim that it can allow less frequent water changes? It may be that they DID do this research and that it DOES reduce the need for so many water changes. We need to be careful that just because WE think it necessary as part of OUR regime to change water every 3 or 4 days that we aren't denying valid research that would show that doing it every 5 or 6 days (for example) results in the same chemical parameters. If that is true, then the amount of product used is also reduced because you dose less often. Has anyone done that checking with Amquel+'s makers? I use Prime at home and Amquel at work, because my LFS at work doesn't stock Prime. However, I have nothing against Amquel+ but have just used Prime more often.

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
I've used AmQuel+, Stress Coat & Prime. I have found that Prime offer the most benefits at the most economical $/per gallon

I'm a converted deciple now :p:

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
prime here.

oscaremmy

Keeper of the Frogdog
Feb 27, 2008
East Central Indiana, USA
I admit I would have bought Prime if my LFS here had given me the choice. I will just have to get a bigger bottle at home and transport it between home and work! Nothing against Amquel+, but there is merit in sticking with one chemical because its impact becomes predictable. Therefore, anything unusual happening in your tank tends not to be ascribed to that chemical.

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
I like prime but can't always find the 2 liter bottle.
I buy my Prime on eBay of all places, it's always been very good and very economical!!! I can check, but I think I pay around $8-10 less for the 2liter than what is listed on Dr. Foster's

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I'm not sure if anyone here has read whether Amquel's makers did tests of water quality in labs to be able to claim that it can allow less frequent water changes? It may be that they DID do this research and that it DOES reduce the need for so many water changes. We need to be careful that just because WE think it necessary as part of OUR regime to change water every 3 or 4 days that we aren't denying valid research that would show that doing it every 5 or 6 days (for example) results in the same chemical parameters. If that is true, then the amount of product used is also reduced because you dose less often. Has anyone done that checking with Amquel+'s makers? I use Prime at home and Amquel at work, because my LFS at work doesn't stock Prime. However, I have nothing against Amquel+ but have just used Prime more often.
I'm sure I mean no disrespect to the good people over at Amquel but two questions on what research they may have carried out spring to mind...1) what are 'beneficial sludge removing bacteria' and 2) how does Amquel reduce Nitrates ?

That and the explanation that it does not interfere with the food source of the nitrifying bacteria...maybe they mean that it does interfere with, or quell to borrow a phrase, the food source...which is ammonia...or Am for short :D

I'm just being a wiseass arn't I...but I don't like the way in which the claims made on Amquel's behalf are pitched as opposed to Prime.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store