Angel tank mates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
I put in a couple of peril gouramis with them and so far everything is fine. I don't think they can eat them. They basically ignore each other. I saw some bleeding hearts at the LFS but they seemed too small. I am currently looking for some good sized lemon tetras and some large congos to go with them too. I think I just need to be a little more particular in my choices in tank mates for them.

Marinemom

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Very cool. I took some pics of the BHs at the aquarium today for you. I'll get them posted tomorrow. They are alot larger than any I've seen for sale.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
They even eat the algae wafers I put in for the pleco and the cories.
Mine do this as well, its funny to watch them sharing a wafer with the cories. Its also funny watching the angles they will swim at in order to get at an algae wafer.

Good luck finding some decent tank mates, I am trying rummynose tetras although have lost 5 of the 10 I bought so far, but I am not sure if its as a result of the angels or another reason.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
I would love to use rummynose tetras in with my angels but if they can eat some of my smaller platys, then I think they will be able to suck up some of the rummies too. They school very nicely together I guess, even with fish but who knows. I don't want to chance it. I have to look for some fuller bodied bigger tetras and other bigger tank mates. At this point, I think it is my only option if I want the fish I put in the tank to live.

Marinemom

Hooked Newbie

May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
I would love to use rummynose tetras in with my angels but if they can eat some of my smaller platys, then I think they will be able to suck up some of the rummies too. They school very nicely together I guess, even with fish but who knows. I don't want to chance it. I have to look for some fuller bodied bigger tetras and other bigger tank mates. At this point, I think it is my only option if I want the fish I put in the tank to live.

Marinemom
The second pic shows them in relation to the cories. The BH is the blur in the upper right corner. I'm afraid that any of the "bigger bodied" tetras may be too small at the size seen at an LFS. Unless you have another tank that you could grow them out or get really lucky, it may be a dead end. (No pun intended)

062208 018.jpg 062208 016.jpg

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Those bleeding hearts are really huge!Thanks for posting them. The ones at the LFS are way too small so I had to take a pass on them. Sometimes the LFS I go to does get in some bigger tetras so I will just have to keep my eyes peeled for them. In the meantime, I am just trying to settle a war that has broke out among the angels. What is this called? Angel wars? My all black angel has decided that he is the top angel in the tank and just wants to bully the others. I know they are cichlids and cichlids will be cichlids but they were fine before. The tank they are in is a six foot 125 gallon fully planted tank so there is plenty of room and hiding places if they are needed. I think it will pass but if it doesn't I don't know what to do with the bully. Any suggestions?

Marinemom

Hooked Newbie

May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Have they possibly formed a pair?

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
There is a pair in there that has formed but it does not involve the black one. The black one just bullies all of the other angel fish. Very strange since this is a recent development.

Marinemom

Hooked Newbie

May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Maybe he's jealous... :huh:

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
I think he is jealous of the pair. I don't know if adding more angels will solve this problem or make it worse at this point.

Marinemom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store