Any one have luck with Leopard Geckos

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evilxyardxgnome

Ground Gecko Horder
May 1, 2007
Its not really normal for a gecko to change color based on the background they are on. It is common for a gecko to darken or lighten based on the temp of their bodies. I still think it might be an anole of some sort.

jones57742

AC Members
Mar 18, 2006
San Angelo, TX
Folks:

I may have completely lost it here but these are geckos.

evilxyardxgnome: They look nothing like the image in the URL which you cited.

I have only lived in a house for three years but the following may be of some help here.

Each of the three years but during varying periods in the spring and summer several of these little fellers (like maybe 10) somehow get into the house.
They are virtually invisible on the carpet and furniture.
These little devils are as smart if not smarter than stinging scorpions and are "h...l" to catch.
When I am able to catch them I put them on the back porch as I enjoy them (similar to the squirrels and humming birds).

TR

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Vicious_Fish

This appears to be the closest as best I can remember from last year.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...use+gecko&um=1&hl=en&rlz=1B2RNFA_enUS207&sa=N

Folks:

I very much appreciate the time which you have spent in this thread.

I have a decent SLR for the office and will hopefully be able to get some decent photographs this spring or summer.

TR
Hey glad I could help! I kind of figured it was a house gecko. Definitely take some pics this summer when you can. I love seeing photos of wildlife people encounter across the world. I just wish we had more lizard species in PA. We only have 4.

jones57742

AC Members
Mar 18, 2006
San Angelo, TX
I love seeing photos of wildlife people encounter across the world.
I am glad that you said something (refer to the following comment).

I just wish we had more lizard species in PA. We only have 4.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
I have 4 in my back yard.

The geckos, a green ground lizard with silver stripes, some type of chamelion tree lizard and horney toads. (Please note that when I was a kid horney toads were everywhere but I see them very, very rarely now.)

TR

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
Guess I'm a little late to comment on here but I will anyway.

I'll agree about the Petco lizards always being sick. I lost my first one actually, but have picked up 2 from there since (out of 7). My female is now 4 years old, she was only in the petco tank for part of the day, as I got her from a fresh shipment, while the male was the fattest one in there, double the size of his buddies.

Leos are easy to care for, and can make interesting pets. I recommend joining a reptile
forum as well for information, it is helpful :).

Here's a picture of one of my newest monsters (George):

They are easy to breed as Vicious_Fish said as well.

Do look at reptile shows if you have any nearby. It is by far the best way to get a healthy reptile, that is, if you are dealing with reliable breeders. Some of them are sketch, stay away from them. I always avoid breeders selling Iguana's for $10, and most selling wild caught animals. It bothers me, which is why I stick to captive bred.
Link for reptile events:
http://www.herper.com/forum/events.html

Animallove

AC Members
Dec 23, 2007
Long Island, New York
How much should a Leo cost at a reptile show? Is there anyway you can tell if they are wild or captive bred? I'm thinking about getting a leopard gecko in the spring and getting them from a reptile show instead of my nearby petland, and I want to make sure I get a healthy leo from a reliable breeder.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Beautiful gecko Darkcirica! I'm actually going to a reptile show this weekend and I might be picking up a temper tangarine male if I come across a nice one. But my real goal is to get some prices on my next breeding project which will be [SIZE=-1]Varanus acanthurus, aka Ackies/Spiny Tailed Monitor.[/SIZE]

Animallove, I haven't bought a leopard gecko in over 10 years so I don't really know how much they go for at shows anymore. I think they're usually over priced when I see them for sale in pet stores. When I last bough baby LG's from a show they were between $30 and $60 (this was between 10-15 years ago). You should Google to see if any shows are coming to your area.

All the ones you see for sale in pet stores and at reptile shows are captive bred unless stated differently. There are a few people out there that specialize in some of the wild caught subspecies of leopard geckos, and they cost a lot!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store