Aqua Clear filter MOD 2x efficiency plus nitrate capability

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Interesting idea, but it would be easier to use a rock on the lid to prevent the media from lifting if you don't bother to rinse the sponges often enough to prevent overflow. :dance:
Yeah but its a drag to have to do all that just to see the pump straining and the flow slowed down to a trickle not to mention having to unload all that stuff just to rinse it. It would be better IMO if the pressure was back to front rather then bottom to top, why this style went out with other HOB makers..

fwiffo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2007
good hybrid. the sponge is at the front where the water flows out and the back is open. if this was for saltwater, i'd say you could stick some mangroves in there for some super efficient filtration. trick is to find something like that for freshwater, maybe there is, but i am not aware of it yet.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
good hybrid. the sponge is at the front where the water flows out and the back is open. if this was for saltwater, i'd say you could stick some mangroves in there for some super efficient filtration. trick is to find something like that for freshwater, maybe there is, but i am not aware of it yet.
Hedra amazon jungle vine, otherwise know as English Ivy.

fwiffo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2007
thats neat. so does the plant eat up nitrates and nutrients in the tank? lol, it sorta looks like the stuff my mom buys at joann fabrics. what sort of setup do you have for it in the tank?

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
thats neat. so does the plant eat up nitrates and nutrients in the tank? lol, it sorta looks like the stuff my mom buys at joann fabrics. what sort of setup do you have for it in the tank?
Yes it does eat up nitrates to the point that growing the plant makes it worthwhile. The setup on this one is simply bare roots that have been washed in warm water so that all soil is removed are placed in the void of any HOB filter (this one a Penguin 350) with an established filter (little dirty). Secure the plant to the wall with finishing nails and dental floss slip knots, after about a week the root will embed into the filter and start cleaning it as the plant grows. The plant is low light so indirect sunlight is enough. The only problem like with all house plants is spider mites which I control with garlic water spry which is not toxic to fish. The plants can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot for about $5-$10.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I have never had an overflow problem with my AC's. I always make sure that they tilt slightly towards the tank so any overflow falls into it. I have never had the lid push-up problem either as I clean out the sponge and felt regularly as I do any other filter.

I add a piece of felt between the top sponge and the bio-media to clarify the water. Does a very good job. (I use 2 sponges and no carbon).

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
i sold off all my aqua clear filters while back i was tired of the lid lifting and water dripping on my floor would never use them again

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I only have the 70 and 100 because they were part of a centralist tank purchase. I must have at least 1 HOB on every aquarium for a nitrate filter. Rather then modify them I like to just buy another penguin 350 with a built in void for my house plants to grow and bio wheels to boot. But I want to see if I can turn them into cartridges type filters and so far they are working great, more filter surface area, a void for my plants and most importantly no more lifting media as the pressure is now redirected forward.
Like my AC 70 below you see my 110 modified with its sponge filter cut in half and the two cut sponges stacked and securely held in place forward by redirected water pressure back to front on twice the surface area and providing that much needed void to grow those wonderful nitrate reducing plants. You can also see the front stand off spacers that allow a small void in front to provide an exit point for filtered water on the entire face of the sponge. Lastly with the sponge sitting 1/4 inch below the HOB rim water will automaticall bypass and not overflow. But with plant roots pulling debris and toxins out of the filter, overflow and cleaning will be a thing of the past at least for a year

Last edited:

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
UPDATE: Well its been almost 4 months since I modified my AC 110 & 70 filters without having the need to be cleaned, adjusted, spill clean up, impeller noises, no lid lifting, bypassing, and most importantly no disruption of loss of flow.

With twice the surface area, the motor not having to create pressure to force water, and the use of a water reservoir to create hydraulic pressure from gravity has made the filter more effective and maintenance free IMO.

However it can be improved in the area of polishing so the following steps place a thin poly polishing quilt at the last stage of filtering for even cleaner water.

(1) Below photo's shows removal of filter sponge after 4 months and how much dirt it had collected. Dirt front and rear means the sponge is inundated with dirt throughout.

(2) Below photo shows sponges cleaned and being sized for poly quilt cut just one side the width and long enough to cover the top and bottom of sponge so the filter bracket can hold the quilt in place seen in later photo's.

(3) Below photo shows that after poly quilt has been cut to size it then needs to be made thin by splitting 1 layer into 2 layers and saving the second layer for the next filter cleaning.

(4) Below photos show poly quilt placed over discharge side of sponge with top and bottom held in place by filter bracket. Also its important that the split side or fuzzy side of the poly quilt face the sponge so that it sticks like Velcro to the sponge and allows better water flow.

(5) Below photo shows filter bracket of both the AC 110 & AC 70 holding sponges and poly quilt installed back into filter housing and water flowing freely under hydraulic gravity pressure, revealing any load off the motor.

I believe in 3 moths a followup will show the same effectiveness and performance with improved polishing filter capabilities.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store