Aqua Clear filter MOD 2x efficiency plus nitrate capability

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
about the only drawback i can see on this is having to pull all the fragments of filter floss off the sponges when it comes time to change the floss. floss sticks like a (insert expletive here, lol)!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Thanks for the belated reply. I agree, the only thing is that I don't think I use the same floss you do. I use poly quilt which is a woven batting used in upholstery and it pulls off dirty just like a blanket on a bed and just like it pulled off with no effort and no residue off my FX5 sponges and magnum bio regardless of how dirty they are (see pic below).

I also have pics of Poly quilt being pulled off pitch black and heavy with dirt off my Magnum 350, but Poly quilt has never left anything behind. Now if your talking Polywool that's a different story all together. I only use Polywool as a fill in plastic baskets but never with sponge for the very reason you point out.

satanpie

Banana plant addict.
Aug 25, 2007
Long Island NY
www.myspace.com
i have had every possible problem with my ac200, it was leaking all over ym floor and my mom kept freaking out, finally i realized that the dirty sponge was the problem. the little leveling plastic piece on the motor broke off too so now i use suction cups to prevent overfllow.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i think as long as your sponges are cut just the right size for two to fit as per the photos, you could use any hob filter for this mod.

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
poly quilt?

Thanks for the belated reply. I agree, the only thing is that I don't think I use the same floss you do. I use poly quilt which is a woven batting used in upholstery and it pulls off dirty just like a blanket on a bed and just like it pulled off with no effort and no residue off my FX5 sponges and magnum bio regardless of how dirty they are (see pic below).

I also have pics of Poly quilt being pulled off pitch black and heavy with dirt off my Magnum 350, but Poly quilt has never left anything behind. Now if your talking Polywool that's a different story all together. I only use Polywool as a fill in plastic baskets but never with sponge for the very reason you point out.
where do you buy your poly quilt which is a woven batting used in upholstery?
this was what I was thinking of buying, 3 bags of the largest size. but sounds like poly quilt will be less expensive?

AQUA PURE'S FILTER FIBER:
Excellent for box filters and corner filters.

FILTER FIBER 4 oz. BAG $2.05 EACH
FILTER FIBER 8 oz. BAG $2.95 EACH
FILTER FIBER 14 oz. BAG $4.95 EACH

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Walmart and its called "High Loft Quilters Polyester Batting" for a folded and tightly rolled up section 81X96 inches square by 1/2 inch thick for about $7. I cut my pattern for my Magnum 350, FX5, and Aqua Clear filters when needed then I also peel 1/2 inch thick piece apart into 1/4 inch and make twice as much becasue all you need is a 1/4 inch thick. Just make sure after peeling that you place the fuzzy split side away from the sponge and use the flat woven side against the sponge so it will not stick.

Oh and there is a warning lable that becasue it is pure polyester it is very flammable. Flammable resistant batting is polyester and cotton mix.

Last edited:

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
then wally mart world it is! will check it out this weekend. thks again.

NewObsession

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
[Oh and there is a warning lable that becasue it is pure polyester it is very flammable. Flammable resistant batting is polyester and cotton mix.[/QUOTE]

I think if you manage to set fire to your filter then you have bigger problems to worry about than dirty water... :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store