Aqua Clear filter MOD 2x efficiency plus nitrate capability

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I finally got over the fire retardant warnings when last January I bought one huge bag of "Buffalo Snow" for $1 a bag at Walmarts after Christmas close-out sale. Thinner then Poly Batten only 1/4 inch thick in a big blanket role intended to lay under the Christmas tree and look like a blanket of snow.

Anyway after testing it (fire retardant treated) in my feeder tank filters wil no ill affects, I have been using the stuff in all my tank filters becasue its thinner and easier to work with then poly blanket and way-way cheaper for the same amount. Even when not on sale during Christmas its only $3 a bag. Ill be at the next clearance sale at Walmart after News Years to stock up on several $1 bags next time.

MarkMatt

AC Members
Feb 11, 2010
So are you saying that the only difference between the flame retardant and non-flame retardant batting and poly fill is the use of cotton? I was under the impression that something was added to make it flame retardant and therefore it was not fish safe. If the only difference is it not being 100% polyester then I have about 5 bags I can use. I've not been using it because it says flame retardant on the bag.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
So are you saying that the only difference between the flame retardant and non-flame retardant batting and poly fill is the use of cotton? I was under the impression that something was added to make it flame retardant and therefore it was not fish safe. If the only difference is it not being 100% polyester then I have about 5 bags I can use. I've not been using it because it says flame retardant on the bag.
All I can say is that I have tested the product and use it regularly and no adverse affects. That item is in the photo below and I found it to be less expensive, safe, and thinner (1/4") then regular upholstery batten (1/2"). It list no chemicals only that "because it is carefully crafted of %100 polyester it is flame retardant up to 450F at which point it melts.

Only problem is that it is not available at stores until the holiday season with the best price at clearance after January 1st. The picture below is of the 10 OZ bag, but I buy the 16oz bag for about $1 at clearance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store