Asian Arrowana petition

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sky.eyes.woman

I'd rather be in Hockeytown!
Dec 6, 2004
Greenville, SC
I guess I really didn't understand that these fish are not at all commonly available anywhere and are so highly prized by the ones lucky enough to have one. I also missed the part about this issue being over just ASIAN arowanas, not all species. Are the South American ones legal for import and sale? I have met only one person who has one, he is Vietnamese and does not speak good English or I'd ask him where he got it and how big it is.

I went to the arofanatics website and wow...that red arowana is just gorgeous! The tigerfish swimming with it were quite handsome too. What beautiful fish.

Gambusia

AC Members
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
The SA arrowanas are quite legal and I have seen them.

They get big though but if you've got a several hundred gallon tank, you can house one.

Very cool fish.

The Asians look cooler to me but they want 500 dollars (I assume US dollars) a fish!

:eek:

Last edited:

WinterWind

Mad pianist
Feb 11, 2005
The concern that arrowanas could become another 'pacu' is quite possible, but only IF they lower the price by breeding and shipping enough.

I would love to own one, but I couldn't possibly keep it since it grows so large!

Gambusia

AC Members
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
I might have to get myself a Jardini arrowana.

How much to they cost?

They are a scleropages that is US legal.

tbone

AC Members
Feb 15, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
I don't pay much attention to them, because I clearly would not be able to take care of them. But I know my lfs has a few jeuveniles for alot less then $300 bucks Canadian. I "believe" it was $65, like I said I didn't pay alot of attention. I just don't want a fish that will get that big....even if I could house it. But thats just my opinion.

Gambusia

AC Members
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
What is the difference between a jardini arowana and an Asian arowana?

Isn't the jardini just a type of Asian?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store