BeamsWork 6500K 48" LED fixture.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thanks TL, sounds like an option, but I'd have to rig up a power source for the fan(s). Really don't wanna go that route if I can avoid it.

Mark Allred

AC Members
Jan 21, 2013
Spring Creek, Nevada
Freshy,
Check the temperature on those lights. If it is 130° F or less., I wouldn't worry about a cooling fan.
I know most higher end LEDs will handle close to 160° F, although their lifespan will probably be shorter.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thanks Mark.

I didn't realize until today that the on/off rocker switch on the fixture actually has a high/low setting!

On low, 12 LEDs are lit. On high, all 72 are on. These LEDs are 0.5w each x 72.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I'm curious how these work out for you.
I am looking at replacing an older T-8 fixture for a 20 that I am getting set up for breeding M.Ramirezi or possibly M. altispinosa.

I could retro fit a t-5 in but LED would be cheaper in the long run

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
I'm curious how these work out for you.
I am looking at replacing an older T-8 fixture for a 20 that I am getting set up for breeding M.Ramirezi or possibly M. altispinosa.

I could retro fit a t-5 in but LED would be cheaper in the long run
I have this particular fixture on a heavily planted 20H with excellent results:

http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-Beamswork-Tropical-Fish-p/56324.htm

it was a little cheaper on eBay when I bought it a few months ago. I was looking at some of the brighter ones but was recommended at another forum that this one would be the way to go for my application as to not start "algae farming"

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
So far the wisteria and water sprite floating in my 75g is growing. It is an oscar tank though.. so eventually this little 1.5" tiger oscar will turn it to mulch regardless.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
About a month into ownership and today I notice a bank of 3 LEDs, flashing/strobing, only to go out completely an hour or so later. Totally disappointed. Of course the box went to the curb for recycling a few days ago. Lovely. I emailed aquatraders to see if there's anything they can do.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Aquatraders emailed me back:

"Please advise whether the LED driver problem causing the light stop working or just a few LEDs burning out. We can assign return authorization number for you returning the item for an exchange." [/Chinglish]

LOL! What does it matter? It's all one piece, soldered on a giant circuit board. WTF.. over.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
That sucks, probably the wiring when i took apart one the aquatrader t5ho fixtures to fix the night led's it looked like a 3 year old had wired the thing.

Keep us updated on how the return process goes, I always heard they were a nightmare to deal with but things may of changed that was a couple years ago.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store