Betta has popeye - treatment questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sigrid

AC Members
Jan 8, 2011
both hands in fish tank
Real Name
Bristlenose
Betta Mom,
I really don't know about possible reactions. Unfortunately I have no experience with other meds. It is too bad that there are few Vet docs around who could help out with fish.

On a different subject: It is always good to have a few auction purchased filters or heaters lying around...for the emergency day...
~ ~ ~ ~
I hope the little guy gets better.
~ ~ ~ ~
Book - "The complete encyclopedia of Tropical Fish"
Temp. and water composition
25-28°C=72-75° Fahrenheit. The water composition is not so very important, but the fish do need plenty of warmth. If the water is too polluted, this fish can make use of its labyrinth, an organ behind the head which allows the fish to take oxygen from the atmosphere. A cover is definitely necessary to prevent major fluctuation in temperature between the water and the atmosphere. This can cause the fish to become very ill and die.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I'm so sorry your Betta boy is sick, Chickadee. I do think the drop in temperature very much contributed to this problem, but I also want to know more about water quality.

Could you please tell us a little more? Please answer the questions to the shortened disease Diagnosis Form that is at this link:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180877

Here's the questions; I went ahead and copied and pasted. I think time is of the essence at this point.

Shorter Version of Diagnostics Form:
1. Size of tank?

2. a. Ammonia?
b. Nitrite?
c. Nitrate?
d. pH, KH and GH?

3. Temperature?

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)?

5. How long the aquarium has been set up?

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants?
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom?
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors?

9. a. Filtration?
b. Heater?

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used?
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long?

11. a. Water change schedule?
b. Volume of water changed?
c. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed?

12. Foods?
How often are they fed?

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?
b. Appearance of poop?
c. Appearance of gills?

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis?
b. What meds were used?

15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.

When you give us this information it will help very much. I have some ideas, but want to have more info, please.

Regarding your parameters and testing; do you use liquid test kit or strips?

I think before you answer any thing I would want to make sure his water is pristine. Even though he is a labyrinth fish the water needs to have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and nitrate should be around 20ppm or less.

I hope your little guy will get better, we're all pulling for him.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Some of the questions have already been addressed, and some really don't apply in this case, as I assume he's an only fish in his tank :), but please answer as much as possible.

Chickadee

Snail addict
Dec 26, 2010
Traverse City, MI
He's acting better tonight. He greeted me at the front of the tank like he used to do, and he snapped the pellets from the surface like he was very hungry. I changed about 30% of the water but did not add more Maracyn.

1. Size of tank? 5 gallon.
2. a. Ammonia? 0
b. Nitrite? Not tested lately, ran out & need to get more.
c. Nitrate? Not tested lately.
d. pH, KH and GH? pH 8.0. Not sure about KH and GH.
3. Temperature? 79 degrees.
4. FW (fresh water) Yes.
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? 6 months.
6. What fish do you have? He lives alone.
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? Both.
b. Sand, gravel, bare bottom? Gravel.
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? Rocks & Mopani.
9. a. Filtration? Yes.
b. Heater? Yes.
10. a. Lighting schedule? On about 5 hours per evening.
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? Mostly indirect but sun hits the tank a few hours a day mid morning.
11. a. Water change schedule? 50% once a week.
c. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? Once a week.
12. Foods? Hikari Betta Bio-Gold, frozen krill.
How often are they fed? Morning and night.
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? Maracyn Plus.

I took this photo just now.

2011_02030001 Cropped.JPG

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
First thing, I think I'd do daily water changes, being meticulously careful to have his temperature matched and well conditioned.

I'm wondering if during the treatment with the Maracyn Plus his water may have had some elevated levels of ammonia and/or nitrite.

Does it seem to you that the swelling has subsided on his eye? I hope so.

I'd run some carbon in his filter tonight, if you have some, to remove any remnants of the Maracyn Plus, though I'm not sure that was a problem for him.

I think I'd try the Betta Revive and daily water changes, doing the water change just before dosing him with the Betta Revive. I'd try this for a few days. If it's going to help him you should see pretty quick improvement in the way he is feeling.

I don't think I'd do the Epsom salts yet, since he's fairly fragile at this point. In case there is some measure of swim bladder issue, I'd try the nuked, skinned english pea protocol for constipation and/or gas in the gut. Soak the mushy pea in garlic juice to make it more tasty. Stick it on the end of a toothpick or wooden skewer and dance it around in front of his face to stir the hunting instinct.

If the Betta Revive doesn't seem to help him we may need to consider other options.
But, clean water every day may be a big help.

Can you tell me what the ph is coming from the tap? Collect some water and after 24 hours check the ph if you can, please. Is it well water, or municiple water?

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
"He's acting better tonight. He greeted me at the front of the tank like he used to do, and he snapped the pellets from the surface like he was very hungry. I changed about 30% of the water but did not add more Maracyn."

Sorry, I missed this at the top of the Diagnosis form. I'm so glad he's feeling better. Did he seem to start feeling better after the water change?

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
How is he this morning? (I'm on my iPhone and not very fast at texting so my responses may be slow and full of goofy typos so please overlook that, lol)

Chickadee

Snail addict
Dec 26, 2010
Traverse City, MI
Okay, I'll get some Betta Revive today if my Petsmart has it. Otherwise I'll have to order it online. Also charcoal and nitrite test. I know my pH is very high. It's even higher out of the tap (I have well water) but I mix it with about 25% reverse osmosis water to keep it down. I don't see any swelling or cloudiness in his eyes now. He's the same this morning - eating, more active, but still quite lethargic. Thanks for your help, and to everyone for the well wishes. Will keep you posted.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Be sure to try the nuked English pea, as well, just in case he does have a bit of constipation or trapped gas in his gut.

I worry a little that he might possibly have an internal bacterial infection, which was triggered by the hit to his immune system when his water temp dropped. His imProvement after the first dose of Maracyn plus seems to point to that, and as someone mentioned in one of the posts, here, cOmpleting a full course, when treating with antibiotics is best, but let's try the Betta revive for a day or two to see how he responds before considering more antibiotics in his water.

When you pick up the Betta Revive, if possible, get some Jungle Labs Anti-bacterial Medicated food and start feeding him that to address an internal infection. Get some fresh garlic to flavor that and the English pea, if you can. The garlic has the added benefit of being anti-parasitic to a somewhat good degree, which may help if there's any problem in that area.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
I edited my previous post so please reread that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store