Betta Tommy has white stuff under mouth,belly,fins and eyes seems puffed.HELP!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TommyBetta

AC Members
Jul 19, 2012
Thank you! I will cut down his food. Yes, definitely buying this master kit to check his water. Maybe the ammonia is the cause of all his distress? I've just put the cartridge filter and WC 50% with treated spring water, little bit of A salt (just in case) It seems that the white patches turned into grey and spreading a little bit in his body there are some dark areas too. I will try to put some more photos tomorrow of him and also of the fuzzy white peaces of string in his cave.
Waiting till next Saturday to start new med. Do you think Tommy has bacteria? What kind? He is very active but I think he maybe openning his gills too much., and they look dark in some areas.I don't remember him openning his gills like that to breathe before. Is it normal? Thank u so much. Have a good day tomorrow!

TommyBetta

AC Members
Jul 19, 2012
Pls can u tell me what kind of sponge you mention before? Kitchen sponge? Where would I put that sponge?

Semilla

AC Members
Jun 2, 2012
Madison, WI
Real Name
Semilla
There are several types of sponge made for aquarium use. AquaClear sponges (made to go in AquaClear filter) are probably the most readily available. You take your cartridge, hold it up to the sponge, and cut a littler bit larger than the original cartridge so it fits in snug.
I've heard of people using other open cell sponge products, but you must be sure that there are no flame retardant or anti mold chemicals.
I'm afraid I have no advice for poor Tommy. I hope he gets better.

Sent from my SCH-R930 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TommyBetta

AC Members
Jul 19, 2012
Blue/grey , golden/yellow, and dark stuff on Tommy.

tommy.jpgIMAG1844.jpgIMAG1861.jpgIMAG1900.jpgIMAG1902.jpgIMAG1904.jpgIMAG1905.jpgPIMAG1910.jpgPictures taken on July 25th

Hi,these are new pics from Tommy.He can open his fins and looks better! I stopped adding Betta Revive after 7 days, Still waiting for the water kit master I ordered. Meanwhile I am keeping changing his water with Zephyrhills (they r making a lot of money withTommy!!!)adding Stress Coat, little bit Aquarium salt, and also Seamchem Prime. After started Prime 2 days ago, notice white fuzzy strings hanging from cave are gone!Great!

With the help of flashlight I can see golden/yellow spots on him. You may be able to see in pics. Is it Velvet? Also the white stuff all over his body and fins became grey/blue and still there and he has some dark areas specialoy on his gills. Shall I start a new tratment on him? Is General Cure ideal for his conditions?

If I start a new treatment shall I take him out of his tank? Or have to treat the tank too? I have put the filter for a couple of days and want to cycle his tank asap. :confused:

I appreciate all your help! Thank u!

IMAG1910.jpg IMAG1905.jpg tommy.jpg IMAG1844.jpg IMAG1861.jpg IMAG1900.jpg IMAG1902.jpg IMAG1904.jpg

TommyBetta

AC Members
Jul 19, 2012
Since Ihaven't heard from anyone decided to start Maracide treatment for Velvet and cover his tank with black paper in order to avoid light. Also increased water temperature to 82 degrees, and took filter cartridge out .

His spring water has Prime ( help with nitrate), stress coat, aquarium salt and med Maracide. I am suppose to use med 1,3 and 5 day. I intend to change 20% water daily (1 gallon replacing med) during 5 days treatment SHALL I DO 100% W/C He is in 5 g tank.

Pls I appreciate if someone could give me some opinion regarding this situation. Thank u!

TommyBetta

AC Members
Jul 19, 2012
I posted few days ago asking for some feedback regarding Maracide treatmentI know there are people here that can help but for some reason has not! I can't believe there in not one single person that can jump in and help!

I am on the 4th day of Maracide treatment Now my Betta gills is getting red and hanging on edges . The body still with greyish stuff on top and brownish diagonal stripes on lower part of body .
He has constipation with a white stuff in his anus. Some time darts all over tank and hits face on sides. (his tank can reflects him, not sure if he thinks it is another Betta?)

My master kit has not arrive yet from Amazon, but doing partial W/C daily

I know there are people three that can help. Pls do the right thing and help me keep this fish alive! Thx

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Hmm, could be waiting on the water test. I understand how stressful it is to have a sick fish, but it's very difficult to diagnose from this end when something isn't obvious. For example, I can't see velvet from the pics, but you're in a better position to judge these things. Sometimes it may be genetic, just a change of coloring in the fish as well.

His darting behavior could be a sign of poisoning from the meds. I'm not familiar with Maracide, but from the name (cide = kill) I'd guess it's some strong stuff. Are you certain he has velvet? Hopefully someone experienced with this will chime in. Hang in there!

TommyBetta

AC Members
Jul 19, 2012
I appreciate your response. I saw same gold/yelowish spots on him also lots of grey spots. Not sure if velvet. These pics r the best ones it took hours because he doesn't stop moving. Im at At Allfish emporium they recommended Melafix bacterial for inflamed gills and greyish patches on body.Is it safe? So scare! and confused..Hopefully the master kit comes soon, I am afraid his gills r getting worse maybe Maracide is the wrong med it has malachate green.thx

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store