Betta Tommy has white stuff under mouth,belly,fins and eyes seems puffed.HELP!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
can you get a photo of the 'white short protruded spot'??

poop does break down fairly quickly, but if you are doing daily water changes, you should be seeing formed poops in the tank on a daily basis.

i am still going to recommend daily water changes, not partial every other day. clean water is imperative to a fish that is recovering from illness.

Last edited:

TommyBetta

AC Members
Jul 19, 2012
It is hard to do the total 5.5 g water change everyday , specially having small kid. I thought that since testing his water and having nitrate, nitrite and ammonia all 0., wouldn't have to keep changing it that often. :O
Is there any other way?

Thanks God, he popped tonight! It was huge, it seems. he is having constipation. I am thinking about maybe giving him different food , but I don't like the frozen ones , they r a little.messy!
I notice the white spot still there!
I tried to take pic but didn't have success, will try again.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i'm a single parent, with two fish tanks and two chinchillas. all my pets get individual attention every night, and my tanks receive water changes on a daily basis if and when necessary. every weekend i schedule in at least 2 hours to ensure both my tanks get a good water change and necessary gravel vacuuming/filter cleaning. my kiddo goes off to play with toys, or watches tv, or plays on the computer. or i do water changes after she's in bed. doing a large water change on a 5ish gallon tank is nothing! should take you 20 minutes at most.

there are other parameters that you are not able to test for with your kit that could affect your betta's health. TDS (total dissolved solids) and DOC (dissolved organic compounds) build up in the water between water changes, causing water quality to go down. with the recent medications in your tank, your beneficial bacteria could be not at sufficient numbers any more to handle the wastes of your betta (remember how i said some meds will kill that good bacteria?). daily water changes are the best thing right now, to keep the ammonia down and keep the tank clean for your recovering fish.

the most important reason for you to do daily water changes right now is because your betta needs the cleanest environment possible to recover from what is/was ailing him. many times clean water is a great cure, and all that is needed. i've seen a large shark here on the forum with huge wounds be healed just by daily water changes.

plop your kiddo in front of the tv for a half hour show once every day, and get those water changes done :)

edited to add - your test results you posted previously say ammonia is zero, nitrite is zero, and nitrate is 10. now you are saying all three parameters are zero? if they are all at zero now, then your tank is not cycled and daily water changes are a must to keep the ammonia from reaching toxic levels for your betta. zero for all three tests tells me the meds did knock out all your beneficial bacteria. your tank willl need to re-cycle, and daily water changes and daily testing will keep your betta healthy.

also to add - constipation in bettas can be helped by feeding them a small bit or two of the inside of a pea. pop the pea in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it up, then split the pea in half and take out the inside part and make it small enough pieces for your betta to eat. this should help the constipation. the white dot could be some muscle that has been pushed out of place due to constipation.

Last edited:

TommyBetta

AC Members
Jul 19, 2012
I see you work very hard!

Omg! muscle pushed out? Ouch, poor thing.I am thinking it could be the meds or food causing constipation. I am going to vary more his food. Do u know about vitamins for Betta?

I still can't get pics of his white spot on anus, it is small but pointy. he keeps his 2 fins close to anus.

the tank was never cycled from the beginning. I started cycling after finishing with meds as I have posted before. I put a sponge instead of carbon cartridge in filter.

The reason for 0 in all tests is due to Prime I am adding when doing water changes,O besides Stress Coat. Today Ammonia and Nitrite were 0 and Nitrate 5 ppm

I understand that 100% water changes is not recommended when trying to cycle the tank.

I found some small amount of white powder accumulating on the bottom of my tank. Any idea what could be? Wonder if it comes from disposable latex gloves or it is some kind of fungus.

I appreciate very much your time ! Thanks a lot!

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
large water changes, 100% if necessary, is EXACTLY what you want when a tank is cycling. i'd rather have a tank's cycle take forever to complete than have my fish being poisoned by ammonia or nitrite. the good bacteria do not live in the water, they live on surfaces in the filter and in the tank.

Prime will not affect your nitrate reading. water changes affect your nitrate reading, by removing nitrates when you do a water change. you don't need the Stress Coat at all. too much crap being put in the tank is not good. none of my tanks have seen anything other than Prime for a few years now, as far as additives to make the water safe go.

herniation of the muscles around the anus is common in fish that are very constipated. he may have that white bump for life now, or it may subside once his system is back to normal and he isn't constipated any more. as long as he's eating, swimming, pooping, and generally looking 'happy', i wouldn't worry.

anything marketed for use with bettas is an absolute case of the manufacturer trying to cash in on the 'betta fad'. you don't need betta products for bettas. the only thing i advocate that is a betta product is the Betta Revive, and that is because it has worked so well for me. if it was called 'gobblygook fish stuff' i'd still use it and advocate it, lol. what i'm trying to say is that 'betta vitamins' are bunk and a waste of your money. fish receive their nutrition via their diet, and feeding a high quality and varied diet is key. my bettas have always had a rotation of betta pellets, freeze dried food, frozen food, and veggies (peas, and zucchini when i feed it to my bn plecos - the betta tends to munch on it too). yes, i keep bettas in community tanks. they are fish, and don't need to be treated any different really.

as for the white powder in the tank, take a picture of it so we can help determine what it is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store