Betta Tommy has white stuff under mouth,belly,fins and eyes seems puffed.HELP!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
don't use melafix on bettas. there is debate that the oils in melafix can coat the labyrinth organ, making it difficult for bettas to breathe surface air. i personally would not chance it.

i've looked at the photos and i don't see anything out of the ordinary on your betta. his colouring looks good, i don't see any fluffy fungus/bacteria growths, and he looks to be in good health. sorry i didn't reply sooner, i didn't see that you had posted again. i don't see any signs of velvet either.

i personally would just do daily 100% water changes for a week and monitor him, based on what i see in your photos.

the red gills could be from ammonia, since you are unable to test your tank's parameters. many meds will kill off the beneficial bacteria in your filter/gravel/tank, and then you are back to square one with your cycle. daily 100% water changes are necessary to keep that ammonia down as close to/at zero.

malachite green is safe for use with bettas. m. green is in betta revive.

bettas from pet stores are literally 'mutts', with their genetics being so mixed. you'll find they change colour over the course of their lives, and that may be the case with your betta. i've had an almost perfectly white female end up looking like a black and white pinto pony after i'd had her a while. my first blue betta developed a lot of red pigmentation in his fins as he aged. just a couple examples of bettas changing colour.

i would say try the clean water daily routine, and let us know the results.

TommyBetta

AC Members
Jul 19, 2012
Thank u. I didn't buy it! Today is last day with Maracide. I will give a break after , doing W/C , and wait for the kit master to come. Hopefully when I have the water in perfect conditions he will get a full recovery. Thank u so much!

TommyBetta

AC Members
Jul 19, 2012
Hi
I got the master kit :)
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0
pH 8.4 VERY HIGH
Not sure if pH high can hurt fish gills. I have been changing 50% water everyday and adding Prime Tomorrow will look for something to lower pH.
Does anyone have any suggestion for high pH?
Thanks a lot!

TommyBetta

AC Members
Jul 19, 2012
I am using spring water but I also tested my tap water pH and it is high too. I live in Boca Raton Fl, Palm Beach County. The water is good but I think it has too many chemicals that can be harmful to fish(??) Not sure!

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
if you are using Prime, it will detoxify heavy metals and such in your tap water. since your water changes up to now have been with spring water, slowly switch over to using tap water so that the change in parameters won't be so sudden. when you go to do your 100% water changes daily, start with mostly spring water, and use just a small amount of tap water. gradually increase the amount of tap water and decrease the spring water. i'd start with 10% tap and 90% spring and increase the tap amount by 10% daily until you are on straight tap. the timeline of just over a week will give your betta time to slowly adjust to the change of water type.

i always say that if your tap water is safe to drink, it's safe for your fish.

ph of 8.4 is a bit high, but your betta is most likely fully acclimated to that ph and it shouldn't cause a problem at all when you do your gradual switch to tap water. what is your tap's ph? you bought your betta locally, right? if so, he was likely in the same ph water at the store. my ph is always 7.8 to 7.9 and none of my fish have ever had an issue, including angels, cories, bettas, oscar...... the list goes on. as long as ph is stable, and you don't go mucking with it, then you're fine. don't buy anything to lower the ph, you don't need it IMO.

TommyBetta

AC Members
Jul 19, 2012
I definitely will follow your instruction to start using tap water. The tap water is also pH 8.4, but u said it doesn't hurt Fish.I may just leave pH alone .Ive had just read a thread saying that adding some distilled water can help lower pH.

Also, I have just got a sponge in his filter to start cycle. Shall I put the carbon cartridge back to clean any residue from Maracide or the sponge will be enough? It may not fit both in my filter!

I appreciate a lot all your help. I am getting more relax, knowing he is going to be ok! Thank u very much!

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
if you are doing large daily water changes (as i recommended, 100% daily), then the meds will clear out of the tank fairly quickly. i would just leave the sponge in there, and not worry about the teensy bit of residual medication that may be left in it after those water changes. i've medicated tanks and not bothered to use carbon after, and my fish were and are just fine.

i personally would never use distilled water in a fish tank. distilled water is 'empty' water and has no buffers, no minerals, etc. fish need these things in their water. RO (reverse osmosis) water is safe to use in tanks, and it is what i would recommend if you were needing to buffer your water parameters (which you don't need to do at all). the more you muck with things like ph, the more care you have to take to match the new water during a water change to the current tank parameters - too much hassle when your fish will be just fine without all that mucking around.

TommyBetta

AC Members
Jul 19, 2012
That is true! It would be too much hassle to control pH. Since it is not a big deal I will leave it alone. I will keep monitoring him and water changes

I still hope that his gills will come back to normal as it was before he got sick. Also that he will blow bubble nest again! If that happen will definitely post those pics! :)

Thanks so much! God bless u!

TommyBetta

AC Members
Jul 19, 2012
Hi, Tommy is getting better! Eating and swimming. The gold spots r gone! I stopped Maracide . Keep monitoring his water,doing partial water change every other day, since water test is very good. And feed 2 pellets/day

It is strange that I can't find his poop in the tank! Do they eat their own poop? He has a white short protruded spot coming out of his anal area. Does this stuff may be blocking his poop from coming out? Do u know what is it?

He still has greyish stuff on his gills and underbelly, and dark spots around his gills.
Pls, feel free to give your input !
Thank u! Enjoy your day!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store