Blood Parrot hybrid misinformation

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
Flowerhown are primarily hybrid of Trimac and Red Devel or BP to enhance the red. But other CA genes were introduced such as Texas cichlid for spots and Jaquar for pattern in some varieties. So FH is not a monolithic hybrid but a cocktail of multiple CAs still under experimentation. The hybrid line has not been fixed and so their offsprings are highly variable and only a few will grow up to become show specimen.

FH's resemblance to Firemouth and Convict is simply color coincidence, though it is possible for the two fish to cross breed. Convict is nicknamed playboy of CA as it has been known to successfully cross breed with Salvini, Red Devel/BP, Jaquar, Dampsey, Firemouth, among other CA cichlids.

JimG

AC Members
Mar 18, 2003
Ames IA
Visit site
Originally posted by thom336
i fully agree with rare cichlids there, the blue dempsey is not a hybrid, but is in fact a variation, or mutation, on the origional dempsey brought about through selective line breeding. however, i have not heard of them begin infertile before, so i go with JimG on that point.

OK I may well be wrong here, I confess I don't really know that much about the Blue Dempseys though I'd thought they had been hybridized with some other cichlid, perhaps the fish I saw I was told was a Blue Dempsey and which certainly appeared to have been hybridized was in fact not a Blue Demsey.

Though if Blue Demseys are just the result of selective line breeding they aren't infertile.

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
There are couple good web sites to settle on the origin of Blue Dampsey which is found by WetmanNY:
http://luzardo.elacuarista.com/
http://www.elacuarista.com/secciones/tfhblue.htm

Blue Dampsey was created by a South American who is ethical enough to tell the truth. BP and FH were Asian creation and for the sake of profit, they never told the truth. BP is probably an accidental mutation like BD and FH is a methodical creation.

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Originally posted by Tiger15
BP is probably an accidental mutation like BD and FH is a methodical creation.
i must post my disagreement to the BP being seen as an accedental mutation. however, there is a fair case for this...
- the BP gene pools were not stable at first, and still are not as stable as they could be, and different BP's can grow to dramatically different sizes, which suggests that, if they were not an accedent, then not alot of thought was put into stabilising them as a fish
- they are not the most attractive of fish, and if hybrids were to be produced, then you would think that the breeders would want to make them appealing, then again some people find them quite good looking, including our very own JimG.....

but i dont think that they are an accedental hybrid. it is true that hybrids can be accedently come across, but they are very hard to stabilise, and for them to be stabilised to the level of the BP, no matter how unstable this may be, it suggests that expertise were put into it. also, not many accedental hybrids make it into the market at such an internationally commercial level, and most are culled at birth, which is what i suspect would have happened if this was an accedent. finally, fish farms that produced the BP would probably be very selective about their breeding of fish, and so would not allow for two quite similar species to cross, as would have happened to produce the BP.

but i think this is another topic altogether...

Rare Cichlids

I'm In Bloom
Dec 2, 2000
Visit site
Originally posted by JimG
Though if Blue Demseys are just the result of selective line breeding they aren't infertile.
If you read up on them you will see they are not the result of selective line breeding. But instead, as has already been said, the result of a random mutation. There was no methodical line breeding to "create" the blue dempsey. Instead, it was just a chance mutation that appeared in a batch of otherwise normal fry.

Tiger did not say he thought BP's were an accidental hybrid. But an accidental mutation like the blue dempsey.

JimG

AC Members
Mar 18, 2003
Ames IA
Visit site
Originally posted by thom336

so that concludes that male BP's are not infertile....

Well a verified case of a BP male fertilizing eggs would demonstrate that at least a very few of them are not infertile. We all know though that the vast vast majority of BP males are not fertile though. What I have read geneticists state is that "virtually" all hybridized males are sterile and among mammals at least science has been unable to verifiy a case of a male offspring between two different species then procreating himself (though female mules for example can do so). No one would be happier than I if someone could start a BPxBP line so that then inline breeding could begin to eliminate the various traits BPs sometimes suffer we find undesirable.

Though I must point out again IF BPs really are just a mutant strain of some other single species why haven't they been inline bred by everyone with a hankerin'? Within mutant lines of fishthe fry readily breed with one another, there is no sterility.

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
i agree that a large proportion of the males may be infertile (my use of 'may' is becuase i do not have any personal experiance of it). but there are those that are fertile, and so it was an incorrect staement that male BP's are sterile, and i just wanted to get that clear.

JimG

AC Members
Mar 18, 2003
Ames IA
Visit site
Originally posted by Haggisman
Hey Jim, its T from the BP forum.
Hawkeye has just had a batch or fry from a BPxBP pairing, shes gonna snap some pics just in case they eat the fry...
Just though you would like to know and your welcome back anytime......

Wow cool T please tell Hawkeye good luck - if I were her I'd be getting me a fry tank and saving them. BPs go for big $$.

Thank you for the invite back, take care.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store