Bought A New Fish Yesterday. Ick Today.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I don't QT, but I am hesitant from buying from chain stores. I just saw this angel being a bully in the store's angel tank and looking gorgeous, so I just had to have him. I'm going to go ahead and blame it for the Ick.
:shakehead:

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Erm - the visible stage is when it's burrowed into the skin. If the angelfish had ich hidden in its gills (the usual place) then they could indeed have hatched out and visible infected another fish by now. By contrast, anything from the hatchetfish would have already gone through its life cycle several times by now.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Erm - the visible stage is when it's burrowed into the skin. If the angelfish had ich hidden in its gills (the usual place) then they could indeed have hatched out and visible infected another fish by now. By contrast, anything from the hatchetfish would have already gone through its life cycle several times by now.
By now absolutely. Not within 24 hrs of introduction though.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Late, this is why we do need to quarantine our fish. If we value our fish as much, then quarantining every of your new fish is one way to do better service to all your fish instead of subjecting your older stocks to continuous reinfections with pathogens. The more your fish are exposed to such issues, the more they become stressed that sooner or later, it is too late to save them.

Right now, it is not too late to start setting up your quarantine tank if you attempt to buy another fish again. 3-4 weeks is not too long. Patience will pay off for you. What is more, is that we avoid a lot of headaches in the long run when we are assured our older stocks that we value a lot, are safe from possible disease transmissions that could prove themselves lethal to your pets.

theredchaser

AC Members
Aug 8, 2008

I meant the stage where the protozoan is burrowed in the skin but doesn't show any external symptoms because its too far in and too small. When the white dots appear, yes its still burrowed, just much larger and about to burst out, thus you can actually see it. Sorry for the confusion:confused:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Ich can't spread that fast. What most likely happened is that your fish already had ich to begin with, but had no external signs of it because it was still burrowed underneath the skin. Adding the angel probably caused stress to the fish, thus hindering its immune system and signaled the ich parasite to burst out to find a new healthier host.

Luckily, ich is pretty easy to treat, simply add salt and raise temperature like you're already doing. One thing to note is that the salt only affects the protozoans in the free-swimming stage, so you will need to wait until all the protozoans are in the free swimming stage. Many people simply stop the treatment once the white dots are gone, and blame the treatment when ich shows up again because they didn't treat for the entire duration.

Also always qt, ESPECIALLY from chain stores because they usually have policies on qt'ing new shipments (i.e. no qt'ing to sell faster)

ich is not that opportunistic.

it cannot nor will it detect when the fish is more vulnerable to the parasite.
it simply goes thru the life cycle..falling from the host dropping to the substrate ( or what ever if lands on) then simply multiplying there until it becomes free swimming(this is why most raise temp as it speeds up the incubation period) if the host is stressed it may be less resistant to the ich and thus become more heavily infested.

you are correct it is more vulnerable as a free swimmer.. it does not have much time to find a host. but in a closed system like an aquarium it can find a host rather quickly.

as mentioned QTis your best defense

zpromoter

AC Members
Jun 15, 2009
I won't be the first to tell you but you always need to qt the fish, no matter where you get them. ESPECIALLY from chain stores, I am the aquatics person at a Petco and yes we don't qt to sell faster. I don't agree with it but I am just the guy to scrubs fish tanks all day. There really is a lot of disease that gets into these tanks, and since 18 overstocked tanks are all run off one central sump, things can get pretty grim. I am not saying don't buy from chain stores, I am just saying that extra precaution should be used.

Gourami's always seem to be the worst. Most of the time, we recieve them with a fungus/ick already. I treat the tanks but it is hard to cure it with a large filtration system. If some of the fish look sick in the tanks around the ones you want to buy, just ask the people if the tanks are on the same sump system. If they are, I wouldn't buy from that section.

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
Should I QT? Yes. We all should. But I don't have the space for it. I'm living at home, I can't just be setting up all the tanks I want.

The angelfish had no signs of ick and I placed it in the tank without QT. Bad on my part, but is it possible it was the source of the ick? Is it possible for a carrier of ick to infect another fish in 24 hours? Yes or no? I think yes.

Also, I feel I don't need to QT from my favorite LFS. I don't know what the process their fish go to, but even though the sell the fish they receive the same day, their fish are always bigger and older then the fish from all other chain stores. I trust their stock.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
You think yes. The biology of the parasite says no. Who do you believe?

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
You think yes. The biology of the parasite says no. Who do you believe?
Me. It's easier to believe that I am special and exceptions happen then to believe I am wrong. :raspberry:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store