Bought Some Cory's Today.....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I've been wondering lately if Herman (who is about 6 years old and the last survivor of a school of what was purchased as panda cories) is actually a panda. I purchased some new "pandas" for him, but have noticed that they don't look quite the same - because Herman has a narrow black strip down his back and more of a band around his tail. Here he is, I think he looks more like "metae" on planet catfish:
(his top fin is damaged from the CAE (now traded in) but is growing back, and the stripe from that fin to his tail is hard to see except from the top.)

Here is one of the new "panda" cory's:

They haven't been hanging out together much, so I'm thinking if they are different species that may be why. Do you agree that Herman might be metae? Should I try to find more of them?
Jen, he looks oddly like a panda to me. Could you please get a pic of the top view angle of his body to show the narrow black strip down his back? His side view makes me think he's still a panda.

Jul 3, 2006
San Diego, CA
So basically I paid too much. I don't have too many options when it comes to places to buy my fish. That web site that you refer to has similar corys like mine, but none really fit the bill.

jenratico

Jen
Apr 8, 2008
Denver, CO
I'll try the picture of Herman's side view again, his mugshot, and also a really crappy one that shows his back as he swims away - I'd try for better but don't know where my husband put the camera. If it helps, he's bigger than the other panda's, but they are young I think. I'd say and inch and a quarter. He could also be a girl.

chesterthehero

AC Members
Apr 19, 2008
corona, ca
the first ones are not schwartzis. schwartzis have 3 rows of distinct dots down their sides. the photos show a bunch of tiny speckles all over

chesterthehero

AC Members
Apr 19, 2008
corona, ca
since you wont use the resources available...
the first two photos show a c. blochi
http://planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=464

the "new panda" is a panda cory
http://planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=267

herman looks kinda like a panda and kinda like a metae, but hes got a stripe down his back which makes him unlike a panda, and no stripe extending down onto his tail which makes hime unlike a metae. you might want to try posting that pic on planet catfish and ask the experts

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
I don't recognize either of the first 2 pics, so chances are they're neither julii, schwartz or any or the more commonly available ones. I'd go get 3-4 more, even at the price as you'll likely not see them again anytime soon.

Schwartz go for $5-$7 around here, as do C. trilineatus. The only break we get, aside from an occasional sale, is typically on C. aeneus and they're $3.50 or more.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
jenratico- Herman is a metae. I was wrong, they only get to 2 inches. The ones we had seemed big but it was quite a while ago. He probably would like some friends if you find some but after all this time maybe he's set in his ways.

Jul 3, 2006
San Diego, CA
So I went back to the LFS today to buy some plants. I let the workers know that the Julii they claimed to have sold me were not Julii at all. I explained how the markings did not match Julii seen on different web sites and they got insulted. They pulled out this catfish book and showed me a picture of a "true" Julii and I told them it didn't match the ones they sold me. Now they want proof. I don't care that they aren't what they said they are. I care that I paid more because of what they were supposed to be. The only problem I have is that I can't match the Cory I have with any from the types shown on different web sites. The LFS wants me to print out the forum stating that what I have aren't Julii. I feel cheated, but there aren't too many stores that sell fish. It's either stop buying them or keep paying the price and hope I get what they advertise. Maybe with help from this forum and the experts here, I can get a store credit or call their bluff. What do you all think about this?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store