Bree's Discus Tank Build Thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
very nice! I like the white background, never thought I would. What kind of filter intake is on the right side? Looks different. Can't wait for new fish pics!

Bree7

AC Members
May 22, 2010
very nice! I like the white background, never thought I would. What kind of filter intake is on the right side? Looks different. Can't wait for new fish pics!

Thanks! The white background is new, I've always gone with black.. Never thought I would like white either, but I want these discus to really show their colors. Turns out that it isn't as bad as I figured :) I actually quite like it- it brightens up the tank a lot! The intake on the right is connected to a standard aquaclear 500, but I bought the filter used and I think it came with a different intake.. Sorry I'm not exactly sure where she got it! :)

Bree7

AC Members
May 22, 2010
Excited for you, but where is the potted plants?
Oh, you just wait :) :) :)

There won't be many at first; in fact I'm planning to steal an idea from a fellow discus keeper here and use some stemless glasses with gravel in them instead of pots. Probably 3 max to start with. I really just want to keep the tank super clean and bare for now to get some nice growth on them.

Bree7

AC Members
May 22, 2010
The only (mild) update for now:
I got an overturned clay pot today to hopefully use in place of a discus spawning cone.. Added that to the tank and bought a huge 9" fish net for future use :) no more 2" and 3" nets for me!!

Other than that, nothing new. Pretty lame update! But there should be more coming. Planning to add the 3 plants soon- any suggestion on what kinds to keep that will tolerate the high temps and discus conditions?

I had to hold back today during my visit to PetSmart. Fish for $1.00. Although the quality in my local shop is pretty lame, they had some gorgeous angels. But nooooo not for me! I'm proud to say I left with zero impulse buys!! :y220e:

The two 80 gallon sponge filters will get here in a few days- I'll post some pictures when they arrive and I get them in the tank. Hopefully I will have the plants by then.

If all goes as planned, the discus will be here sometime next week! I will probably ask to receive them next Saturday morning so I don't have to take off work.

KingOfTheDeep

All Hail The King
Nov 2, 2005
New York City
Real Name
Dan
tank looks good, you won't be sorry with fish from kenny! i have an order coming from him tomorrow.

your on simply right? i think i remember you posting in his latest thread showing the pictures of his june shipment. i go by DansDiscus over there.

Bree7

AC Members
May 22, 2010
tank looks good, you won't be sorry with fish from kenny! i have an order coming from him tomorrow.

your on simply right? i think i remember you posting in his latest thread showing the pictures of his june shipment. i go by DansDiscus over there.
Oh okay, yes I've seen you around there! My name is Bree7 here and on Simply :)

Make sure to post some shots of the order you receive tomorrow, I'd love to see how they are and what I get to look forward to! What strands are you ordering?

KingOfTheDeep

All Hail The King
Nov 2, 2005
New York City
Real Name
Dan
Oh okay, yes I've seen you around there! My name is Bree7 here and on Simply :)

Make sure to post some shots of the order you receive tomorrow, I'd love to see how they are and what I get to look forward to! What strands are you ordering?
sure thing, here's whats coming.

3-3.5" Albino Pearl Diamond x3
3.5-4" Hi-body Carnation Turk
3.5" Checkerboard Pigeon
3" Mercury
3.5" Blue Diamond select-grade
3"+ Hi-body Forrest Red Turk
3.5-4" Leopard (fine pattern)
4" Altum Flora

Bree7

AC Members
May 22, 2010
sure thing, here's whats coming.

3-3.5" Albino Pearl Diamond x3
3.5-4" Hi-body Carnation Turk
3.5" Checkerboard Pigeon
3" Mercury
3.5" Blue Diamond select-grade
3"+ Hi-body Forrest Red Turk
3.5-4" Leopard (fine pattern)
4" Altum Flora

WOW. I can't wait to see the shots! That's awesome. I wish I could afford to get 10 from Kenny! 6 will have to do for now :)

That will be a wonderful variety. The APD's are my absolute favorite. The Altum Flora are great too. Wonderful choices- what size tank are you keeping them in?

KingOfTheDeep

All Hail The King
Nov 2, 2005
New York City
Real Name
Dan
WOW. I can't wait to see the shots! That's awesome. I wish I could afford to get 10 from Kenny! 6 will have to do for now :)

That will be a wonderful variety. The APD's are my absolute favorite. The Altum Flora are great too. Wonderful choices- what size tank are you keeping them in?
they're going into a 75 until they grow to about 5", then they will be moved to a 200 show tank. as soon as i saw the APDs i had to have a few :D. altums were high up on my list as well.

on top of this order, i have 10 2" fry coming from another sponser on simply, 20 discus in one day :jaw-dropping:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store