Brentling's 125 Startup Thread - Lots o' Pics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquaholic

AC Members
Jan 4, 2004
WA
Visit site
I bought an fx5 and love the filter, I made my own 4 foot spray bar though for an even flow. you can get a brand new one from ebay for $200, mine has been running for a month now without cleaning and the flow is still excellent. one bigger filter is always easier to clean than two smaller ones, and one is cheaper:)

brentling

AC Members
Aug 1, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I bought an fx5 and love the filter, I made my own 4 foot spray bar though for an even flow. you can get a brand new one from ebay for $200, mine has been running for a month now without cleaning and the flow is still excellent. one bigger filter is always easier to clean than two smaller ones, and one is cheaper:)
True that. I have seen the FX5s on eBay. My concern there was warranty. I wonder if it would be too much to put the CO2 and the heater both on one FX5?

Tophat665

Minion of the Scaled Ones.
Jul 13, 2006
NoVa
True that. I have seen the FX5s on eBay. My concern there was warranty. I wonder if it would be too much to put the CO2 and the heater both on one FX5?

You could get an inline heater for the input side and put your CO2 chamber on the output side, or visa versa.

My one problem with putting a really big filter on a tank is that it seems to me best to have two filters on a tank, both in case of failure and so that you can stagger the maintenance (unless, of course, like me, you get lazy enough to wait until both are in critical need of cleaning and have to do both at once.)

powerkit

Spiral OUT
Oct 23, 2008
Memphis
www.myspace.com
This is an awesome thread, deffinately subscribing. I love the cork board! I may like to try that for a 150 tall i plan to put angels in (once I get my oscars a new home set up)

brentling

AC Members
Aug 1, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
The Little Flood

So I have lost a couple of clumps of HC to white spidery fungus. This is not good after all of my patience!
DSCN1473.JPG
DSCN1474.JPG

It made sense to me to flood the tank a bit and drown that stuff! I got confirmation today that it was a good idea to do so, so I did!
DSCN1479.JPG

All of the plants are thriving except for the fungused HC, so I am crossing my fingers and looking forward to next month.
DSCN1451.JPG
DSCN1449.JPG
DSCN1448.JPG

I have a volunteer weed/plant growing on a piece of driftwood that I thought was fun...
DSCN1475.JPG
DSCN1450.JPG

I have been very good, so I am hoping Santa will bring my filters so I can flood the tank the rest of the way and put some fishes in there! Right now I am thinking about 2 Eheim Pro 2224s, especially due to the price. http://www.kensfish.com/eheimcanisterfilters.html
eheim2222.jpg

That would give me 370 GPH and allow a heater on one and CO2 on the other, plus add to reliability due to redundancy. We shall see.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

DSCN1473.JPG DSCN1474.JPG DSCN1475.JPG DSCN1479.JPG DSCN1451.JPG DSCN1450.JPG DSCN1449.JPG DSCN1448.JPG eheim2222.jpg

Last edited:

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Sucks to hear about the HC, it must feel bad seeing something you've waited 3 weeks to grow get fungus over it. Right now it looks more like a Vivarium than an aquarium, with the condensation on the glass and cork bark background. I hope you get your filters in time for the holidays. :)

Tophat665

Minion of the Scaled Ones.
Jul 13, 2006
NoVa
Brent,
I can't speak from experience, but I do think it's instructive that eheim has gone through 3 generations of their Professional filter series, whereas the classic series has stayed unchanged and with a stable or rising price. The Classics are idiot proof. I don't know about the pros. I do know that the 2229 wet/dry I have is the biggest pain in the neck of any of my filters. The price is right on those, though, so you may be just fine. I would check a couple of places for folks who have had the eheim first generation pro filters before I went and bought one.

golfproinlexky

Know just enough to be dangerous...
Dec 31, 2007
Kentucky
Good move flooding the tank to get rid of the fungus....from my golf course experience it looks like Pithium and is present in high humidity situations and will spread fast. I don't think you have to worry about it continuing under water. Keep the updates coming, your thread is awesome!

brentling

AC Members
Aug 1, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Good move flooding the tank to get rid of the fungus....from my golf course experience it looks like Pithium and is present in high humidity situations and will spread fast. I don't think you have to worry about it continuing under water. Keep the updates coming, your thread is awesome!
Yes, it did spread very fast!! Since the small flood, it seems to have already vanished completely. The flood was exciting in another respect, too. Today I looked the tank over very carefully (in between gobbling pumpkin pie ;) ) and found that the HC is pearling! Nice, robust happy Oxygen bubbles all through it. That gives me great hopes for the future, especially considering that the CO2 is not hooked up yet. Yay!

brentling

AC Members
Aug 1, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
i consistently hear 2217 for the Eheims. They have, indeed been around forever and seem built like tanks. They are also affordable, if you know where to look. My 2 concerns are:
1. It looks like a pain in the toockus to clean/replace/maintain the media with no baskets, etc.
2. There is no automatic siphoning.

Other than that, I like the idea of extreme reliability, etc. I used to have Sacem canister filters back in my Pet Shop days. They were the brand the store carried (I never hear of them anymore). Sacem was an Italian company that was later bought out by PennPlax and then apparently disappeared in my absence. They reminded me alot of Eheim Classics, down to the green canister, tubing, etc. They were fairly reliable, but often got noisy and were painful to start the siphon. Maintenance involved disassembling the whole mess and replacing all media. It ended up being a big fishy pile of canister guts and filter floss. Not too fun. But I can handle it!

Any thoughts on my 2 concerns? As much as I'd love some high-tech cool looking filter with all the bells and whistles (think Eheim Pro III 2080 w/ built-in heater and microprocessor, etc.), in reality, what I need is clean water, appropriate flow rate and reliability. It would also be better to have working filters that I can actually purchase with the money I have available to me that to have a phantom filter that I can never afford holding up the progress on the tank.

Thoughts please? What about 2 2215s? That would be about 320 GPH and save me about $65.00. The main reason I was looking at the 2224 was the self priming and the $87.00 cost as well as filter baskets. but they do not seem to have the enthusiastic following of the Classic series, nor do they have the track record. Hmmm.... decisions, decisions... Thanks very much for the feedback.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store