Callamanus worms

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
I lost one of my new Discus! Crud.:irked: I medicated today, after a 90% water change, and already see several worms at the bottom of my 20 gallon quarantine. They expelled them, quickly, but the worms are still moving. The fish, all, seem a little stressed. I hope they all make it. I took the carbon out of the filters, and mixed the meds. in a measuring bowl, with water, and divied it out. Crud. It hurts to lose that discus. $50 shipping, for a ten dollar fish. That was why I bought them all at once, to save on shipping costs. I may order two more, but I'll wait until they're all better, then see. The discus died last night, not from the meds. It was the smallest one. :shakehead: Crud.
sorry to hear of your loss. Regardless of the cost, any fish death is not easy.

Out of curiosity, any pics of the worms wiggling on/in the subtrate and or rest of the fish?
How tall is your tank?
When did you received the new fish and how many?

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
Yes, please make sure to feed them the roughage like peas and brine shrimp. this is very important because they will tend to get stuck.

felixpaws

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
Man I feel dumb.

Man, I must be slow. I lost a ram, not a discus. I mistook the two, since it was so mangled, and the smallest discus was hiding. Sheesh! :screwy: Anyway, I will probably try another breeder if I lose any Discus or need to add to the school, so, thanks for the suggestion. I don't need any more Meds. for now, thanks. I seem to have killed all the callamanous! Yea!!! I see no signs of them. I just did the water change, tonight. I'll need to re-medicate in three weeks to get the eggs that hatch, but I have high hopes! i seem to have killed my leech infestation, as well. I had small leeches that colonized in the gravel, and they all seem to be dead, now. So, bonus! I'll tell you, Charles Harrison rocks! This stuff worked great! Of course, I lost all of my cherry barbs in my quarantine tank, so I'm bummed about that. I'm treating all of my tanks, not just the qaurantine/hospital tank.

felixpaws

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
No pictures, but they didn't seem that big, from the other pictures I've seen. They refused to eat, after I medicated. I tried to feed freeze dried daphnia, since they're good ruffage, but none would eat. I did lose 9 cherry barbs. I was going to give them to a freinds kid, with a ten gallon tank starter kit I put together out of old supplies. That was why they were in the qaurantine/hospital tank. Bummer. So, in total, I lost 10 fish. 1 blue ram, and 9 cherry barbs.

felixpaws

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
Sorry, I forgot. My tanks are two standard 75 gallons, and a 20 gallon high. I don't know the actual height, I'd have to measure. The 75's are 48" long, the twenty is 24" long. I recieved the 5 discus in the mail about 3, and a half weeks ago. They came out of quarantine last week, which was why I was so worried that it was the discus. Stress from shipping, new water, different diet, angelfish tankmates, etc. I kind of just assumed it was the discus, from the size, and general shape, without fins(they'd been eaten off). The largest discus has shown some growth, and they eat pretty good, when not being medicated.

felixpaws

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
Final Dosing

I medicated for the last time, on Monday, until Thursday(It should have been Wednesday, but I forgot it was three days, and two nights, not three whole days). No fish died, and no sign of the worms. I think that one of my new discus had them, again. He bloated up, and couldn't swim very well, then, I medicated, and he was fine. I think the worms blocked his intestines, and then they were killed, thus relieving the blockage. The fact thet I didn't feed them while medicating helped, I'm sure. They wouldn't eat with the medication. No worms, though. Yea! If you have callamanous worms, get this stuff! It worked great! Just be aware that the fish may get blocked by the dead worms, and could die. Of course, the alternative is certain death due to secondary infections, and blood loss, plus, infection of all your fish. Thanks for the advice! :bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing: It made all the difference. My advice, don't feed live foods, unless you know they are disease free. I learned my lesson. Merry Christmas!:p:

Kivstev

AC Members
Mar 19, 2009
Glad it worked out - too bad those worms got some of your fish though. Merry Christmas! (Is it OK to say that anymore? Political correctness sucks!). :D

felixpaws

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
Merry Christmas!

Yeah, it sucks to lose animals. On the bright side, my Discus look healthy, and eat great. The only problem I have is my largest discus has something wrong with his eye(I assume it's a he?). It looks like a chunk was carved out of the top of it's eye. He got really dark for a little while, but seems fine, otherwise. He's put on some size, and eats great. I've had one other fish display this problem, before, and the fish ended up dying. The fact that it doesn't seem stressed at all gives me hope, though. Should I start a new thread? The eye doesn't seem punctured. It's almost like it was born that way. Not bulging, just carved out, like clay. It's still clear. Hmmm. Any ideas?
Thanks! (Oh, it's probably not P.C., but Merry Christmas!)

Kivstev

AC Members
Mar 19, 2009
A new thread would definitely be in order.

Should I start a new thread? The eye doesn't seem punctured. It's almost like it was born that way. Not bulging, just carved out, like clay. It's still clear. Hmmm. Any ideas?
Thanks! (Oh, it's probably not P.C., but Merry Christmas!)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store