Cichlid with bulging eye :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Just FYI African cichlids are opportunistic and if they sense the slightest abnormality in another tankmate it will spell certain doom for him.. Hence the move..

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Just FYI African cichlids are opportunistic and if they sense the slightest abnormality in another tankmate it will spell certain doom for him.. Hence the move..

Now I just need another tank and get it established quick enough... will get a 10 gallon off craigstlist tomorrow... never had to set one up so quick though... usually put beta and alge eater in tank for 1 month before introducing other fish... anyone have any suggestions???????????

:confused:

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Either you have a cloud eye issue or an injury and the lack of appetite could be stress from aggression or the injury, at any rate i would remove him to see if he starts acting normally and to heal..
:iagree:. If then any antibiotics are needed, the treatment will be easier having the fish alone in a smaller tank.

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
will be easier having the fish alone in a smaller tank.
Totally going that direction... will get 10 gallon tomorrow! Have one to pick up off craigslist... just need to know how to get it suitable for sick fishy... no time to establish the tank... :uhoh:

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Use 50% of water from the main tank. Try to put in the filter, some media from your main tank's filter. A nylon mesh with some substrate from the main tank, can be put in a corner, inside the 10gal. All this will help adding old bacteria to the new tank.

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Thank you efforts! Good suggestions. Lets cross our fingers that he survives through the night until tomorrow afternoon when I get off work. :(

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Leave it bare bottom no substrate pick up a sponge filter and heater.. take 10gal of water from your existing setup and then start your daily water changes that night or the next day.. be very observant and pay attention to breathing, do small feedings..

Once you think the fish has recovered reintroduce him back in the community with lights out and reconfigure rock or decor to disturb territory issues if not he will be killed or totally beat up as a new comer and you will be back to square one.. i say a good month in the quarantine setup should suffice..

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
You are welcome and I wish you good luck with your beloved yellow fish.

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
... ... ... .. start your daily water changes that night or the next day.. be very observant and pay attention to breathing, do small feedings..

.. .. .. ... ... community with lights out and reconfigure rock or decor to disturb territory issues if not he will be killed or totally beat up as a new comer and you will be back to square one.. i say a good month in the quarantine setup should suffice..
Thank you for the advice! I've introduced new fish before with those practices and have been successful.

Small feedings is something I would not have thought about. Is there a reason?

And a month sounds good- enough time to full recover.

I just hope he doesnt get melloncholy and stressed from the move. Should I put up a rock formation for him to hide in???

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
He will be OK. You can add 1 or 2 rocks from the main tank, if that makes you feel better. This way you are also adding some more good bacteria.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store