Cichlid with bulging eye :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
...if that makes you feel better...
:) geeze. humans are way too into their animals. I need to remember that fish dont have emotions like we do. hahah! :)

Thanks guys! I'll let you know how he does.

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Here's the story:

Picking up a 10 gallon cube tomorrow around 2pm. Purchasing filter, heater & medicine for "pop-eye". (Will talk to LFS about condition of fish and trust recomendation for best treatment.) The new tank will have no substrate. Mesh bag w/ gravel from original tank in corner. Some filter from original tank in new filter, and will fill new tank 1/2 way with water from original tank. I'll let the water heat up to 80 degrees and check levels then introduce poor sickly "Big Yellow" in bag for heat ballance for 15 minutes. Then add water from new tank to bag to acclimate. After 15-20 min I will place "Big Yellow" in new tank. I'll cross my fingers from then on that he heals up just fine and can be re-introduced to his original home.

All I need now is for him to make it until tomorrow!!!

Thank you all for all the help and advice. You've really made me sure that I can bring my most cherished "Big Yellow" back to good health!

(ps: pls let me know if I have misunderstood any instruction in the above description)

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Pics are not in my opinion pop eye. That usually looks much more dramatic. Looks to me like soft tissue injury - maybe he got in a fight (you often don't see the aggression and presume all is stable) or snagged it on a rock or such.

You're on a good track with the QT. Get him in there, just in case it is a bacterial infection or such. Do a daily 100% water change - I'll bet he improves radically over the next week. If I'm right and it is soft tissue injury some melafix will do no harm (in fact it will do no harm either way). No need to medicate as yet.

Habit of mine...have you tested your water for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate with a good liquid drop test kit ? If so what were the results ?

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Habit of mine...have you tested your water for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate with a good liquid drop test kit ? If so what were the results ?
First thing I did! I use API tests. Ammonia is good- no yellow at all so 0. Nitrites are good- 0. Nitrates are right between 20 & 40 - coloring closer to 20. I did a waterchange directly after I noticed the injury & I use salt so I was hoping I would see it clearing up a bit. Looks the same this morning.

No medication for now? I was thinking an antibiotic to prevent infection? I would hate for him to go blind.

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
OK- hospital is set up! LFS recommended Maracyn... it has 200mg Erythromycin in each dose. Does this sound good to use? Says to use on Pop-Eye with cloudy or hazy eyes???? I'm going to let the yellow guy chill for the night and medicate tomorrow- please let me know if this is worth a shot. Thanks! :)

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
I know- i post more on my own freaking threads than anyone on earth- just worried about this guy. Just finnished acclimating him- put him in the hospital tank. (pretty big... 14 gallon cube/tall) He's swimming around, his breathing is actually pretty good! :) I'll do a good 50-75% waterchange tomorrow.

Seriously guys- I would not have felt comfortable setting up the hospital tank in such a rush without your advice and support. Ya'll have been great- I'm VERY optomistic now!

THANK YOU!

Last edited:

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
No worries my friend wow sorry i got to you late but i would not medicate him just yet the Melafix isn't a true med in the sense that it is an all natural product extracted from trees and such, that med you stated above you have to be careful using and if your wrong on the diagnoses than could prove fatal..

Just like x-rays i went over your photo again and the more i look at it i believe i will concede with coler it looks more like an injury and very well could have been from aggression from another resident cichlid..

But as you stated above all advice was taken correctly good job and i wish big yellow a speedy recovery.. and good luck to you as well.. thanks for adding me as your friend as well..

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
No worries my friend wow sorry i got to you late but i would not medicate him just yet the Melafix ... ... ... ... be careful using and if your wrong on the diagnoses than could prove fatal..

... ... ... good luck to you as well.. thanks for adding me as your friend as well..

I haven't medicated yet- I'll do a 50-70% waterchange daily until next Friday night. (Give it 1 full week) if he looks to be improving, then I'll keep with the routine. If not I'll medicate. I'd really prefer not to use chemicals if possible. The thing is he is doing REALLY great in the hospital! He's more active- actually ATE!!! I think he's releived there is no one to attack him- aggression may have been the issue.

I bought a 15 gallon tall tank to hospital him in and I may turn it into a tank for him and my peacock. (The peacock gets nipped fins... I dont think I've ever seen him without them...) So once a month has gone by if yellow is doing well I might just keep him in the office and introduce the peacock. Not sure though. I've just never seen him so active!!! His breathing is good and he's swimming around! His color is great too! He's showing even more stripe-age!!! :)

Thanks for the good luck! Karma and warm thoughts are something I believe in. :) And of course I added you! You (and others) helped in picking up my spirits and giving me confidence that I COULD aid my beloved "Big Yellow"!!! :)

I appreciate it beyond no end- i know i have more of an emotional attachment to my fish than most... but i feel that since I brought them into my care- (as with my 3 cats and any living thing...) I have a responsibility to ensure them a good, long, and healthy life!

:) I'll keep you updated on "Big Yellow's" progress!!!! :dance:

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
cool deal sounds great my friend.. i wouldnt let him live in the 15gal in the long run it may prove to be an issue but at any rate he will be ok in there while recovering and if you have to leave him in there let him do it alone..

who do you think may have beat him up and i would remove the aggressors and go with a few females for him back in the main tank to give him some pleasure in life, their tops to do's on their list are eat, breed and not being eaten hehehe..

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
...who do you think may have beat him up...
No clue. They've all been together for quite some time. There are 2 guys who chase him but he's never even had fin nips and his fins are fine now too. What i am thinking happened is someone chased him and he ran into a rock... looks like he may have hit something nose first then got his eye.

I tried to get more girls in my tank- (not enough currently) and bought 2 little yellow fish. (JUST FOR BIG YELLOW). Turns out they are both male and actually Blue Vertically striped fish like "Little Spot" (He is labled in my album... so are the yellows... before they were male.) So I need to return them and get some 2" + long females. That sounds like an actual plan.

Need to wait 'til he's 100% though. I'll let you know when that time comes! :) I love your big tank with the blue boys and glowing fins. VERY PRETTY! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store