Clown-Lovers 75 Gallon Tank Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Very nice pics!

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Thanks Bob.. I appreciate that a lot.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Are you wanting SPS, LPS, polyps?

Well I'd like some more polyps.. As they have some really striking color that would be nice in the system. I eventually want to get an anemone, probably a BTA just because they don't get huge, have a tendency to stay put... Then I want to do LPS because I want a Sun Coral, but I'd also like to do some bubble coral, maybe a tube coral, maybe a plate coral.

But then I also like some of the SPS branch stuff that I've seen as it adds dimension to a tank..

But then I'd also like to have a toadstool, possibly a leather and maybe some mushrooms as well..

Can I have it all??? :)

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
lol, you really do want it all huh?

I'm trying to avoid leathers and anemones in my little 55g

But I am presently mixing SPS, LPS, and zoas. I do plan on adding more of all three along with clams and ricordeas.

If you keep things about 6" away from one another you should be fine in most cases. Some you can go a little closer, some you'll want a little further.

You'll love your bubble coral, mine is a pearl bubble (smaller bubbles) and it eats like a pig. I also love my branching hammer and have found it easy to care for. The frogspawn and others in the same family have the same needs.

On the SPS branch...the staghorns are good starter SPS, I have a bali green slimer that I'm trying to color up but it grows fast. The Montiporas are good starters as well. The Monti cap is the one that plates, The Monti Digi is a plating/branching one and then there is another Monti that encrusts.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Yes I do.. (and besides I'm still trying to teach the GF that I don't need fake plants so I gotta do something fun).. :)

So in what order do you think I should add? Should I add the BTA first so he can find his home and then go with the others so they can be placed around, or should I place the others and hope the BTA stays where I put him?

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Lets talk sumps

That sounds like a plan. Better for it walk over rock than over corals.
Ok, so we are going to go to some macro algae for a while then.. The tank isn't far near old enough for a BTA so I guess we'll get plants in the mean time..

Cool tank!
Thanks H3D.. I'm really enjoying things so far..

On another note.. Lets talk Sumps... Specifically Refugiums

I know they are mainly for the denitrification process.. However mine seems to be getting a combination of green and red slime on the walls of the refugium area.. In some areas I see the snails attacking it, in other areas they leave it alone. In fact the turbo seems to like chewing on the cheato more than doing his job. Do I need to put more snails in the refugium? I have 1 turbo and 4 Astreas. Maybe I should put a crab or two down there.

Is this area supposed to have algae growing in it? Or is it supposed to be clean and clear like the main tank?

I've looked on the net for pics, but only seem to find pictures of people setting them up, not pics of established systems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store