Clown-Lovers 75 Gallon Tank Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Hey.. I'm not the one forcing you to pull out the cash card.. LOL you buy it, its your problem.. :)

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Well it won't be the first time a woman blamed me for something she bought... ;)

So what are your thoughts on my sump.. After I was done looking for Shirley I decided to clean a lot of the algae off the walls of the refugium area. I don't think its Dino as the snails are eating it when they aren't just sitting on the cheato gorging themselves.

You think I just need a bigger clean up crew, more live rock in that area?

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Oh boy I don't know Mark. I'm still in the midst of learning more about fuges now. The new sump will have one but the previous one wasn't big enough. Amp will know, he has lots more experience and I think he is online now.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Bump..

Ok so I had asked this question about sumps earlier, but Grins took me off topic (if you can blame me for the fish I can blame you for that :) ).. Anyway does anyone have experience with sumps, specific refugiums?

Her is the original question..
----------------------------------------------
Lets talk Sumps... Specifically Refugiums

I know they are mainly for the denitrification process.. However mine seems to be getting a combination of green and red slime on the walls of the refugium area.. In some areas I see the snails attacking it, in other areas they leave it alone. In fact the turbo seems to like chewing on the cheato more than doing his job. Do I need to put more snails in the refugium? I have 1 turbo and 4 Astreas. (this has changed I had two empty shells assuming the 1 blue legged hermit had dinner) Maybe I should put a crab or two more down there.

Is this area supposed to have algae growing in it? Or is it supposed to be clean and clear like the main tank?

I've looked on the net for pics, but only seem to find pictures of people setting them up, not pics of established systems.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Well it doesn't look like Dino where it has those stringy leaders that the one guy posted. Its also not producing gas like in his pictures. So I am assuming that it is cyano. The snails/crab that I do have in there seem to be keeping the LR clean, but its on the sides mainly. I took some time when I was looking for shirley to clean the sides, but it is coming back. I have seen the snails eat some of it, but my GF just now told me that tho those shells she put in there for the crab in case he grew and she moved 2 astreas to the main tank.. (don't ask) So anyway.. Ideas?

Edit: So the question is am I being to picky? Is this algae supposed to collect here instead of the tank, or should it be clean like the tank? Should I have more cleaners in here ultimately I guess is what I am asking..

Last edited:

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Cyano is actually a bacteria and not an algae so not sure that macros will help it. I'm been told the only things that work are flow (not really usable in a fuge huh?), time and red slime remover. One guy told me that he hooked a suction to a powerhead and that way it would suction up what he blew off. You might try that if it is bothering you.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
I would suggest more cleaners yes...its the obvious solution to the problem, syphon out what you can..even attach an old toothbrush head to the end of the syphon tube...srub with the brush and the syphon or pump will take it staright out....

Macro alage will certianly help being in the sump...what you need to acheive is for the macro's to out-compete the cyano for nutrients and a sufficient ammount of macro will help you in this...

The main point here though is to get to the bottom of what is causing the cyano to grow....i presume you have tested for phosphates and nitrates?

Niko

Last edited:

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Well Nitrates yes.. and its coming out at what I consider 2.5 because the color is between 0 and 5. Phosphates No. But I do use RO/DI water and guess I have made an incorrect assumption that because I was using RO/DI that I wouldn't have phosphates in the water. But thats where I was headed next was to purchase a test kit. The bad part is that I am thinking it is starting to show up in the main tank as well.. I'm seeing some reddish color on a new piece of LR I just bought... (There is an adult word after that..)

So onto one of the main questions to which I am still perplexed.. Am I striving for the sump to be "clear" like the main tank? Or is some algae build up expected?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store