Cold Cathode (Scanner) Light

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
I'd worry about the heat, and about the bulbs failing from being on continuously.

The "cold" part of Cold Cathode has nothing to do with how much heat these units give off, it has to do with their operation method(how they excite the electrons).

Edit: These bulbs last a long time in scanners because they're designed to be used the way a scanner will use them. I imagine the biggest problem you'll have is the heat, just because of how many you want to use. Without seeing someone using them in your specific application, you can't really determine how long they will or won't last for you. As a simple comparison; Sometimes two cars that are otherwise identical go to the junkyard with far different mileages, simply because they were used very differently. Different use, different death.

Last edited:

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
As for the heat, I'm quite sure no problems there. After 3 hours continuous use, there was nothing hot, not a single part. I know what Spewn mean, but the detail in the story is that some of these can get very very hot, depending on their specs and means of operation, (entering plasma-state)...but others are cold as in no heat at all.

As for the continuous burning, will post on it and keep updates coming regarding the lamp-life and the effect on plant-grow.

Do hope I can post updates on the DIY Dorm Fridge Chiller first. Depends on my aircon-guy..he's doing a job at my colleague's house first.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Pictures of the trial-setup....

Ok, back in the office, as promised, some pictures of Friday's first trial on scanner-lights....
4 pictures. Read the first post and they fit into it...
Will start testing on plants soon, need to get a small tank empty and put some plants in.

IMGP5345.jpg IMGP5343.jpg IMGP5342.jpg IMGP5338.jpg

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
I know...forgot to take those pictures. Will get them for you...
Too busy yesterday playing with my new solenoid and cleaning my discus-tank.
Put the lights in a proper housing first..don't want my fish get fried when it drops into the tank. ;-)

kingearwig

Master Pond Snail Breeder
Jul 17, 2008
Indiana
s159.photobucket.com
I am impatiently awaiting an update on this. I have an old scanner and I can get a few more. I will be making one of these whether yours works or not, but it would be nice to see someone else do it first.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Kingearwig,
Apologize for being late on it.
Work, family and the big tank have been eating away most of the time.
My other project, chiller from old dorm-fridge has also been waiting.
(though that one, praying, will get started on Thursday night, 11-September).
Will do my best speeding it up.
Keep me posted on yours, definitely interested.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
By the way, make sure you connect the neutral and hot wires correctly from outlet to power-board or you loose them instantly!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store