Cold Cathode (Scanner) Light

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kingearwig

Master Pond Snail Breeder
Jul 17, 2008
Indiana
s159.photobucket.com
Ok here is an on the tank shot. On the right is a 12 watt standard energy saving low k rating house CFL. On the left is the CC from a scanner.

IMO the CC has a K rating very close to sunlight. I think it is in the 5000 range and would very effectively grow plants. The bulbs in scanners are meant to be full spectrum in the sense that they need to illuminate all colors that the computer recognizes equally. As to the wattage I think that the one I tested would be the equivalent of a 9-10 watt cfl.

I would really like to get ten of these and throw them on a ten gal. supply CO2 and watch them fill the tank. Alas I don't have the accessibility to them that Luc does. I have found 3 of them though so I am on my way.

About the warm up time... I notice none! is this for the ccd? I don't get it. I mean right now... like an LED.

OH and one more thing. the glass from the scanner bed fits perfectly over my 10 gallon(doesn't cover the hole thing but can't fall in) what a stroke of luck because it will not fit on my other 10(it would always fall in)

here is a flash on pic to show how big the rig is.

I coated it in silicone because when you touch the spot on the board where the leads to the bulb come to the board with your finger it arcs out(you can see the sparks) and smell like burning flesh but does not hurt. Must be high voltage low amp? anyway I need to build a container but that can wait till I get 10 of them.

Also there is a very nominal amount of heat coming from this. after one hour nothing was hot enough to be uncomfortable on any part of the arm.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Startup Serious Light

You got me started...Got a sheet of wood, cut it the size of the small tank...(apologize, that one is really green with algae, but no time to clean it and merely keeps the sun out of the big one for now.
Anyhow, same alu-tape. Drilled holes on both long sides (2cm spacing) total 23 CC-lamps to be put in. Hope to collect 21 more power-units, then get a big enough power-supply to drive all of them on 1 PS.

Now, if above mentioned watt-output of 8-10 Watt is correct, then I'll be having 200-230 Watt on a 10Gallon tank...lol...that's without heat, mind you...

Have a look at the pictures. Power Units will come on top of course. If this would work, you can put very high wattage with close to zero heat on every tank....
P1: The victim.
P2: The wood cut in size and holes drilled
P3: Putting the alu-tape on
P4: Finished and getting the lights in
P5: Looks like some serious light will come of this one... :)
P6: Top-side. Need to get some proper terminals and of course the power-units.

Let's see how fast we can get this running.
If anybody could tell me more on power-consumption of these lights, very welcome. Especially for the power-supply I need to drive all of them at once.

Cheers
Luc

IMGP5515.jpg IMGP5516.jpg IMGP5517.jpg IMGP5518.jpg IMGP5519.jpg IMGP5520.jpg

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Great, don't have one myself. That at least gives me the info to find the proper power-supply...Looking forward to that data.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
The lights itself are nicely fitted in rubber end-caps which I will take for splash proof for now.
Heat is non-existing, have tested that before...
For the sake of safety, I'll put them on 3-5cm stand so total distance to surface-water will be around 8 cm.
To be 100% fool-proof, I think to follow Kingearwig's glass cover on the tank itself.

As for the top with the power-units, add another plate of wood on top. Heat would be generated here but adding 2 small processor-fans on one side with a similar sized hole (and a metal grill to avoid cutting my nails involuntarily) and drill holes for outlet on the other side of the 'canopy'...
Since this is only a test-bed, the canopy will be crude, but if proven to be reliable and effective, I'll be looking at more longterm solutions that also look good.

The mains-power supply unit would be separate from the hood itself.

All in all you're talking about a canopy that is no higher than 10-12cm from the top of the tank.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
By the way, you can buy these commercially. Have a look at: http://www.oznium.com/cathode-kit/photos
A pair of them goes for USD 7.99 with the power-unit.
These are car-lights so they are strong, water-proof.
Not sure about the ratings but you could consider giving those a try. (or wait for results from Kingearwig and myself first....)
If working, you'd put 5 of these sets on a 10 gallon tank and you have a super-slim, waterproof and strong light (solving your enclosure question...)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store