Compatibility with Discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jaykit

Means To An End
Feb 4, 2009
Alberta
Thanks all for the food input from everyone, I guess everyone has there own special ways of doing things. It is good to know that variety is key but beyond that it can vary greatly. Its greatly appreciated all the information you all have been sending me.

but if you want planted but so many recommend BB for juvies, if I may suggest, you can transplant your plants & set up various graveled glass cups or mugs or whatever receptacles & plant them that way. remove the rest of the gravel so it is BB. a nice compromise. right now I have 6 stemless cosmo glasses all graveled & planted & so far so good. I also kept 2 potted swords in original plastic pots they come in but with their shoots I have planted the baby shoots as runners in my cosmo glasses (mind u I didn't cut the shoots just extended them sideways & planted like they were runner shoots). I have way way too many plants to put them in any sort of pots. I have 2 or 3 swords that take up 24+" area each plus all my other crypts and anubis and various others and who knows how far their roots have sprawled over the bottom of the tank. But a good suggestion if it were possible.

the other thing I did to augment my maintenance is DIY my AC110 by extending the intake tube with pvc down to the bottom into a tee so I have 2 inlets. this takes care of sucking up all the heavier poop & with the waterflow action of my 2nd AC110 there is enough circulation to keep the tank clean. I've got an fx5 and a eheim 2026 running currently on the tank and each of the inlets is about 2-4" above the substrate in opposite corners with the outlets aimed towards the middle to create 2 circles of flow. Debating to pick up another fx5 if needed for the fish load but the mass amounts of plants have taken care of most an nutrients left over.

my discus are "thriving" in that they are all very vibrant & still voracious eaters (feeding tetramin mixed with various kens flakes, frozen hikari brine & bloodworms, sf bay beefheart cubes & freeze dried worms from jehms).

mine probably won't grow to 7" (after 10mos.) tho they did double in size from juvies (again I bought mine from Discus Hans but kenny's is also a good choice).

I have chosen not to combine other fish since I have stabilized my tank & want to avoid anymore issues. but since you going in reverse, adding discus you still need to sufficiently QT them no matter the source. from reputable breeders you have a better chance of getting quality & not sickly fish but beware from LFS - almost always they carry with them ills.

so good luck! 180g is a nice home for discus presentation! at least 6 - 8 I say!! I hope so, its becoming very exciting planning and taking steps to make this actually happen. Hopefully I can find some good fish at a reasonable price.

edit

p.s. having 2 AC110's running the water flow is pretty strong, but counter to the fact they don't like strong flow mine are use to it & some actually swim up into the flow!! espec. when it's feeding time, when the food is dispersed I swear they act like piranhas!!

Last edited:

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Grerat thread.
Lotsa good info.

I still consider myself a NOOB so I will refrain from "advising you".

I have a 180 also. Its Lightly planted with low light plant's. I have grown some fish out & aquired some med to large fish also.

One basic thing I have found to be a fact is - Feed a variaty many times a day in small amounts and if possible do 50% daily water changes if possible and your fish will GROW! Seems to me the more you put into them the more you get out of them.

I pesonaly shoot for every-other day water changes @50%. O and for me - I would stock a lot more than 6 or 8 fish! But thats just me. When I Say a Lot I mean like twice than # in a 180, Again. thats just me.

Arkangel77

Jaykit

Means To An End
Feb 4, 2009
Alberta
I pesonaly shoot for every-other day water changes @50%. O and for me - I would stock a lot more than 6 or 8 fish! But thats just me. When I Say a Lot I mean like twice than # in a 180, Again. thats just me.

Arkangel77
I'll see how it goes. The price/fish and lack of experience makes me hesitant to even start with a group of 6 to 8 but i keep reading its a great group to start with. I may add more later once I conquer the early stages and get a maintenance and feeding schedule in place.

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
I'll see how it goes. The price/fish and lack of experience makes me hesitant to even start with a group of 6 to 8 but I keep reading its a great group to start with. I may add more later once I conquer the early stages and get a maintenance and feeding schedule in place.

I understand about the price! I have $300 per fish Taste / but a $30 per fish Budget!!

Having said that - Let me tell ya what I did about 16 months ago. I started with a group of 4 or 5 (cant remember) well established healthy fish that were from 4 to 6.5" in size. I took great care in the acclimation and conditions. They never ate - always were dark - always hid and eventually started to wither and die! I was tore up as this one my fist attempt with these fish. After about 2 or 3 months of this I drove to a dealer and decided I would try one last time before I gave up and went back to Africans and what not. While there I got BIG eyes and bought like 15 fish that ranged from 1.5" to 4" in size. While driving home I had buyers remorse and figured I screwed up. I acclimated them same as last time and after a few days the strangest thing happened! They ALL were eating - looking great and very active. What’s more the last 3 of the original 5 I started with colored up - stopped hiding and started to eat! Right then I decided More was better when it comes to these guys. Now there is a limit but I will just tell ya I try to keep my Numbers around 18 to 20 fish in my 180. None of them are 8" but they are growing, thriving, colorful, active and happy. All the fish in my tank now range from 4.5" to 6.5" and they are growing more every day. My blue D that I grew from 1.5" is one of my biggest and nicest fish! I know the tank is a little overstocked but I keep up with the maintenance and they seem to be doing great for me. Now that I have a FULL load on my tank adding new fish is touchy. Cant add to many at one time and so forth. What I have bin doing of late is kinds fine tuning my heard. Selling a few and then replacing with others I desire more. Anyway - I guess you get the point. It seems like I am awake now - LOL - WALL OF TEXT!!!!!!!:lol:

PS- Another important consideration when it comes to numbers in Aggression! Some of these guys get kind of MEAN! When ya got 7 fish its easy for one to get all the bullying. When ya got 18 they kind of spread out the but whoopins a little more. This is a real concern as they get mature, at least it is in my tank.

hope this help.
Arkangel77

Jaykit

Means To An End
Feb 4, 2009
Alberta
I understand about the price! I have $300 per fish Taste / but a $30 per fish Budget!!
:lol: Totally agree!

Thanks Ark, its always good reading what other people have gone through with their tanks and fish. I find most of the time I'm just reading through posts online seeing what other people have done or the unfortunate things that happen. It never happens the same each time but I'm getting a better idea of what to expect and pay attention to. And its sounding more and more like I'm going to have to find a new home for all my tetras and some of my plants to make room for the discus. Seems like everyone who gets into discus either goes horribly wrong and they stay away from them or has them take over the all their tanks. Personally I'm hoping for the latter.

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
:lol: Totally agree!

Thanks Ark, its always good reading what other people have gone through with their tanks and fish. I find most of the time I'm just reading through posts online seeing what other people have done or the unfortunate things that happen. It never happens the same each time but I'm getting a better idea of what to expect and pay attention to. And its sounding more and more like I'm going to have to find a new home for all my tetras and some of my plants to make room for the discus. Seems like everyone who gets into discus either goes horribly wrong and they stay away from them or has them take over the all their tanks. Personally I'm hoping for the latter.
In my tank I have 50 to 60 tetras. 1/2 rummies and 1/2 black neons. I also got 12 or so mixed cory's, some horce face loatches and some dojo loatches. They have done just fine with my fish and the higher temps. They all do a great job of scarfing up leftover food stuff as well. I think they are valuable to the overall health of the tank. BUT - thats just my oppinion.

Arkangel77

Jaykit

Means To An End
Feb 4, 2009
Alberta
So here's my next question. If I am going to have to feed my discus 3-5 times a day, what kind of light schedules does everyone have?

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Me personaly - its very random. Kinda whenever I walk past the tank so long as its bin an hr or so they get fed! I do feed small amounts though. I am sure there are better ways butt thats what I do. When I gota work they dont get fed till I am home which is why its random. Every now and then its not a bad idea to skip a day. Let them Mt there belly ya know.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
My lights stay on 10 to 12 hours or so a day. I feed my juvies at breakfast, mid morning, lunch, when my daughter got off the bus, dinner time, and a few minutes before lights out. I do have the advantage of being a stay at home mom for my children, dogs, and fish.

My sub adults get breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Discus really don't care about light.
they actually inhabit areas that don't get much sunlight

I keep the lights off untill I get home then turn them on for about 4 hours.

they do fine with low light or ambient light from the room. they can find the food fine in low light.

it's more for your plants than the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store