Cory catfish problem please look and help (pic)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I didn't mean to imply that you caused it....merely it will be hard to get rid of without diligence to filter maintenance. I would ditch the carbon...lots of people don't use. Certainly don't use it while you are treating. I had this once I will look for the specific regimen I used. It wasn't any of the ones you have listed.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
After a little reading it is coming back to me. I thought I probably did not have enough water flow...I added another cannister after my outbreak. My discus were the only ones effected and I did salt dips while I was waiting for the kanamycin I ordered. But the salt dips cleared it up for me. It is a very stressful thing to do to fish and I don't think I would do it with a cory. I would treat with kanamycin or erythromycin. Both seem to be effective. An antifungal will do nothing as it is a bacteria. I don't think any of the meds you listed will work. You need to go to LFS and get Maracyn...probably the quickest and easiest to find. If that doesn't clear it, try using maracyn 2. Also add add salt to your tank...I have done this with cories and they tolerate it fine...1 tablespoon per 10 gallons.

Last edited:

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Oh ok... so what should I do to the cory? Also I have never done a salt dip before how should I do it? I have another filter I can add also to help with the water flow... I am just concerned that more fish will catch it thats why I want to treat primarily the other fish that is not doing well is a small emporer tetra and it (may) be save-able. Please advise and thank you for your answers already! I can move the cory to a QT tank where he will almost definitely die w/o some help... Also for the Erythro/kenamycin Columnaris is a gram - bacteria so I would ahve to go w/ Kenamyacin as it is a gram - treatment. I will see if LFS have it in stock dont really want to delay for shipping

Side note: my QT wasnt full of fish I was putting into my tank it was full of fish I was trying to get rid of that happen to have come for free when I bought my tank, they were goldfish and I didnt want to put anything in there w/ them and it wasnt heated in there so transfering from a qt tank not heated to my main tank at 80 deg probably wouldnt be good.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Erythromycin has cross-over gram negative coverage. In almost every article you read it mentions erythro and kana....that is why I would go with maracyn...easy to get from LFS. Don't do the salt DIP...just add salt to the aquarium water. It will aid in healing and the columnaris won't like it. I would definitely treat the whole tank.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Ok... do you recommend removing the cory or should I leave him in? if he dies overnight or while I am gone tomorrow will the other fish munching on him hurt the others?

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I would leave him in if you are gonna treat the whole tank anyway. It will be more stressful I think to move him than to just let him be. As far as the other fish munching on him I don't think it will make much difference...it is aleady on him in the tank...just continue to treat even if you lose the cory.

Good luck!!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
THANK YOU for your help! A immediate treatment plan is exactly what I was looking for, I will go to petsmart tomorrow and buy the maracyn and treat immediately (wish they wernt closed now!) and will do a 25% Wc now and before I treat tomorrow. Also gonna add another filter for the time being. Will likely lose that cory but hopefully my tetra will make it but more importantly is that no other fish become infected by w/e this is!

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
You will be surprised what fish will come back from. If you can add the salt with your water change tonight.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
wow update :( : so when doing my water change I moved a piece of decor and found that it has already killed a cory, and the one in the picture is on deaths door, in addition ANOTHER cory is showing what appear to be early signs of infection on its face. It looks pale-ish and one of its feelers is messed up looking. W/e this is its hitting my corries HARD. All other fish are fine except the lone tetra. So iv lost one cory, other is bad, another is infected. Oddly enough the only corries that are not infected and show no signs of any problems are my juli dwarf corries? I have 2, and both are totally fine. well this is quite the bummer... hopefully I can save the others.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
The cory in the picture just died as well, immediately upon putting salt in (only put the recommended amount for 35 gallons or so in my 75gallon tank) the fish rolled over and stopped breathing and every two mins or so would dart around wildly in his last attempt I guess but he did pass... sad about it but its better to have happened now than 10 mins after I go to sleep to fowl up the tank I guess. No other fish appear to be in imminent danger but then again when I left on Friday all the fish were fine and now 2 dead 2 infected so this is FAST moving for sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store