Cory catfish problem please look and help (pic)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I wonder if your cories had some small nicks/cuts around their mouths from the gravel which made them more susceptible. I am sorry for your loss. This kind of thing always stinks.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Hm thats a good thought, the other thing I thought was the bacteria probably resides in the substrate and they are in contact with it the most. OMW now to the store to stop this though

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
So I bought the medication Maracyn-two, a 24 pack for $20... but the problem is at 75 gallons I will need two. So I am thinking I can lower my tank to 50 gallons or so for the course of the treatment so I can juse use one of these packs since your supposed to treat for 5 days. At 75 gallons I could do 2 (initial treatment is 2 tabs per 10 gals, each day after is 1 tab per 10 gals)

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
as long as your filters will still function properly with the tank lowered to 50 gallons, then i would suggest that. lower water level will also cause your filters to splash more, which in turn will raise the amount of oxygen being pushed into the water, which is a good thing when medicating and stressing fish IMO.

be sure to do really good gravel vacuuming during your water changes, as this will help to remove the bad bacteria down there that is causing the problems with the cories.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Problem I am running into right now is my filters wont function at that depth so im trying to rig it up somehow to get them working.. the nozels are just barely under water that far down (25 gals out of 75 is 1/3 lower) and I am afraid I will burn the pumps if they would even work so im trying to figure out how to make this work... also update lost the tetra looking bad and lost a platy out of the blue... noticed wasnt eating today

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
turned off heater (will go from 80 down to 75). drained to 50 gals, added 10 packs of maracyn-two, added additional aquarium salt as it cant survive in high salt conc but my fish should be ok (added an extra 5 or 6 tablespoons to the already treated 50 gallons remaining). only real problem : no filtration. Ideas?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
what media is in your filters? and do you have a couple of air pumps and air line kicking around?

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Sorry I didnt see this post, in my HOB filters I just use the carbon pads, but one of my filters is a penguin 350 so has the 2x bio wheels and the other one idk what it is but it has a large sponge that the water passes through. I am currently running 3 air lines into the tank but I dont want to increase oxygen too much as this particular disease thrives in well oxygenated, warm tanks. Which is why it spread so rapidly in mine since its kept very well oxygenated and at a nice 80deg. But the good news is that I am now on day 3 of treatment and no sign of the disease on fish and none have died!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Well treatment ended yesterday and I had a fish death today... I am REALLY hoping that the death was caused by the pretty enormous ammonia spike that happened yesterday. The ammonia was over .25ppm... so I did a almost complete WC, refilled tank and put the filters on and that made it normal again but I lost one with no exterior signs of disease so I guess its a wait and see game.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store