Corydora in trouble

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cptkd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2008
Seriously - I was told "1 inch per gallon"
Obviously really bad advice and now I'm in a real mess here

13enzene

AC Members
Oct 16, 2008
Ya even if the 1" per gallon was good you are still overstocked. That phantom tetra gets 1.75" long so rounding to give a buffer is 2" therefore you are over stocked.

cptkd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2008
Well, now I definately need help or any kind of advice to get this tank down with its ammonia level?
I've tried everything advised to me by "supposed" fish store professional people and I'm still sitting with the highest ammonia level and it's been a couple days now...
And should I treat for some sickness or disease?

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
The object on the Corydoras' (note - Corydoras is singular, last syllable rhymes with "***"*) head is probably bacterial, but the real cause is the ammonia level. This can be cured by a series of water changes until ammonia is below 0.5ppm. Keep doing water changes to keep it there, and nitrite when that appears. Unfortunately you've got a rather full fish stock which would be hard to manage in a mature aquarium, let alone a new one.

*Oh for goodness' sake will someone tone down the ridiculous profanity filter on this site? OK. Rhymes with a word which can mean your backside or a donkey.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
have you tested the tap water to see if it has ammonia? what product do you use to dechlorinate the water? how often are you doing water changes and how much do you change each time?

cptkd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2008
Update to date!

Ok- He died on his own! I went to go pick up some clove oil, and upon my return I went to get him and he'd died on his own - As sad as I am, I am so relieved that he is no longer stressing....
Now it's back to the tank and getting it's levels down.
I know someone mentioned being overstocked and I get that in one sense , however the phantoms are less than an inch (like baby) and I am also in the process of setting up a 20 gallon tank....
I apologize for not being completely clear with some things, but I was really needing some help at that point, and I remain concerned for the remaining fish that I have...
So any advice from here on handling my 10 gallon ammonia trouble, I'd really appreciate. I've gone through the bottles of stuff from the fish store, I've water changed and water changed and water changed again. I have had recommendations from some of "the best" and yet I still remain with a ammonia level sky high!!!

cptkd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2008
I did test the home water here, and everything tested fine and neutral.
I have done 50% and 25% water changes. It has really been depending on who I've been talking to....Everyone says so different. Originally it was once every two weeks, and the only additive that goes into the water that I've been adding is the Tetra Aquasafe

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
how much are u feeding ur fish????? too much food can cause BIG problems and can also cause head rot AKA hole in the head.......only feed as much as ur fish can eat in 5 minets and are u feeding ur corys pellets if so how big and how many?????

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store