Corydora in trouble

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I'm not sure if you are doing this but sometimes back to back water changes are needed in cases of high ammonia. IE. finishing a water change then immediately doing another.

What kind of test are you using? Sometimes strips can be inaccurate, a good drop test is the way to go

While you are getting through this ammonia process I would cut way back on feeding to help produce a little less waste. Also it would be helpful to purchase a second filter to help with the over stocking. Once you do enough water changes to get the ammonia to less that .25, continue doing water changes daily until you cycling catches up a bit. Hopefully this helps

cptkd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2008
As of right now -

I just bought the next size up filter which I'm going to set up right now -
I have already cut back on the feeding several days ago, since I've heard it's one of the biggest contributors to high ammonia.
I was feeding the corydoras one shrimp pellet each, and one algae wafer between them....Was told to stop that immediately and not feed them for a bit. Let them eat whatever the find on the bottom....? I questioned that, but again, what do I know....
After I install the new filter I will do a 50% water change, and I guess I'll see from there what happens. As blue2fyre suggested, I may do a couple back to back water changes and see if I can get this back down to somewhat normal -

Wanted to say thanks to all of you for helping me out here - I'd be a complete mess, and totally lost without ya's - :rolleyes:

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
I just bought the next size up filter which I'm going to set up right now -
I have already cut back on the feeding several days ago, since I've heard it's one of the biggest contributors to high ammonia.
I was feeding the corydoras one shrimp pellet each, and one algae wafer between them....Was told to stop that immediately and not feed them for a bit. Let them eat whatever the find on the bottom....? I questioned that, but again, what do I know....
After I install the new filter I will do a 50% water change, and I guess I'll see from there what happens. As blue2fyre suggested, I may do a couple back to back water changes and see if I can get this back down to somewhat normal -

Wanted to say thanks to all of you for helping me out here - I'd be a complete mess, and totally lost without ya's - :rolleyes:
WAIT, WAIT, WAIT HOLD ON.....Make sure you transfer some if not all of the filter media from the old filter to the new one or you will be in big trouble with the cycle then.

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
better yet run both filters on that tank

cptkd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2008
Petluvr -
Please explain to me this filter media transfer?
And about running both filters, it just won't work - I don't have the room for that quite frankly... It is a tiny little ten gallon tank remember

evelyn80

Guru at procrastinating
Aug 10, 2008
in your house!!
what petluvr is saying is take something from the old filter and put it on the new one to speed your cycling process up. beneficial bacteria live in the media not the water and by removing the biggest media from the tank you'll lose most of them sending the tank into another cycle. cut a peice of your old filter or better yet put the pad from it in and let the bacteria popultaion grow before removing the old filter. i always keep biowheels in my aquaclear clear filter on my 40gal tank to have a bacteria pop. to speed start my cycle when i set a new tank up. many members here do simalar actions with filters

cptkd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2008
Ok - Thanks! I think I got that -
Man alive, I sound like a dingbat with abolutely no knowledge of anything!
I assure you that's not quite the case...It's just this aquarium thing that's got me totally de-railed and feeling rather idiotic -
They made it sound so simple on the box....LOL!
I am enjoying myself however, and everything was fun up until this slight disaster...
I'm sure I'll be back to good in no time...I'm hoping anyways...LOL!
I thank you all again!

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
what petluvr is saying is take something from the old filter and put it on the new one to speed your cycling process up. beneficial bacteria live in the media not the water and by removing the biggest media from the tank you'll lose most of them sending the tank into another cycle. cut a peice of your old filter or better yet put the pad from it in and let the bacteria popultaion grow before removing the old filter. i always keep biowheels in my aquaclear clear filter on my 40gal tank to have a bacteria pop. to speed start my cycle when i set a new tank up. many members here do simalar actions with filters
:iagree:
What I was TRYING to say exactly :)

gatotsu77

AC Members
May 17, 2006
10 gallon tank's aren't necessarily tiny, unless comparing them against say a 240g tank. With 20" wide back, there should be plenty of room for both of those filters on your tank. Are you positive that your tank is in fact a 10g tank? (silly question, I know... just asking for continuity) A 10g tank should measure 20" long, 10" front-back, and 12" high.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store