Crowntail betta in little bowl thriving?.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishApprentice

AC Members
Feb 27, 2008
thrive
/θraɪv/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[thrahyv] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation, –verb (used without object), thrived or throve, thrived or thriv·en
/ˈθrɪv
ən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[thriv-uh
n] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation, thriv·ing. 1.to prosper; be fortunate or successful. 2.to grow or develop vigorously; flourish: The children thrived in the country.

Now, to merely survive is much different...

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
wha wha wha lmao. Its gonna stay in the 1g bowl.

I didnt literally mean puddles per say. but they are used to smaller spaces

lets again all worry about the bettas in half cups of water elsewhere.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
two words, commonly misconstrued as having the same meaning.

LIVING ≠THRIVING.
:iagree:

thrive
/θraɪv/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[thrahyv] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation, –verb (used without object), thrived or throve, thrived or thriv·en
/ˈθrɪv
ən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[thriv-uh
n] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation, thriv·ing. 1.to prosper; be fortunate or successful. 2.to grow or develop vigorously; flourish: The children thrived in the country.

Now, to merely survive is much different...
LOL, the dictionary posts...:grinyes:

Danyal

AC Members
May 20, 2007
wha wha wha lmao. Its gonna stay in the 1g bowl.
wow, great attitude on a site dedicated to helping aquarists ensure that their fish thrive. my biggest concern with a 1g bowl is the bowl part, to me the absolute min. tank for a betta to have a decent chance of thriving in would be a 1g of appropriate dimensions, is that it is nearly impossible to find a heater, filter and lid for the bowl(yes lid, bettas can and do jump)
I didnt literally mean puddles per say. but they are used to smaller spaces
those smaller spaces are still much larger than most of our tanks.
lets again all worry about the bettas in half cups of water elsewhere.
fortunately those are becoming less common, mostly used for temp. housing in stores(still not right though)

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
Yeah bettas do jump..I lost two bettas to jumping in the past.
Would a betta get huge and not be thriving though?...I mean in order for a fish to reach a large size, they must be in good health right?.

I guess this case was an exception and I hope it does not encourage people to keep bettas in little bowls like that.

Danyal

AC Members
May 20, 2007
Would a betta get huge and not be thriving though?
yes, an oscar could get quite large in a 10g or 20g however it's very hard to argue that it is thriving.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
Personally I don't think bettas are unhappy in gallon bowls at all as long as the water is well maintained, they are given a proper diet, and some peace and quiet.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
My bettas are in a 5g and a 3g and are much happier than living in small cramped quarters. With their beautiful finnage is a shame to keep them in small tanks better for them to be able to stretch their fins and be able to swim all over in a larger tank. There is my big betta boy Merlin in my avatar the silk plant is now a green and fucia color the pink plant was removed got kind of old.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
Wha Wha Wha

wow, great attitude on a site dedicated to helping aquarists ensure that their fish thrive. my biggest concern with a 1g bowl is the bowl part, to me the absolute min. tank for a betta to have a decent chance of thriving in would be a 1g of appropriate dimensions, is that it is nearly impossible to find a heater, filter and lid for the bowl(yes lid, bettas can and do jump) 1g is 1g whether is a bowl or a box? and the room is heated so then the "bowl" is heated. And on the filter. I mentioned that I change the water every sun like clockwork. The lid is questionable. Some know of super jumper bettas, some dont? Ive never had a betta jump or seen or heard. I know petstores where they keep them in bowls and open cups and never have jumpers? So thats questionable on the "needed" lid.

those smaller spaces are still much larger than most of our tanks. Exactly! any fish we keep is hindering its life then?!? Any fish we keep isnt going to be in a as large habitat as it would normally live? But as long as we take care of them as best to their natural habitat its ok? Just everyone rags on bettas cause there smaller tanks. Well if they didnt make it then folks would have bettas living in bowls there whole life spans.

fortunately those are becoming less common, mostly used for temp. housing in stores(still not right though)
I agree they deffinetly need more that half a cup or a cup of water. But the fish doesnt die in those "temporary" conditions b/c it can survive with its lung organ and ect.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store