Crowntail betta in little bowl thriving?.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LADIBUGGL

AC Members
Dec 23, 2004
Massachusetts
I have had many bettas before. I have had some in a 55 gallon tank and a 30 Gallon that did nothing but sit in a corner. I now have 2 bettas, one in a 6.6 gallon and one in a 10 gallon that are happy. I just think it depends on each individual fish and to how they react as to what size tank to put them in.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
I have one male betta in an almost 2 gal (8.57 litres), another male in a 1 gal, a tiny female in a 1 gal, and my other female in a 1/2 gal. yes, i will be upgrading soon, at the very least for my girls.
My boys seem happy as can be in their homes, big bubble nests daily, flare at anything that moves or causes a shadow (blue male will flare at my water bottle...) eat great, play in silk and plastic plants. my one boy even does a bum wiggle when he sees me. Yes, you all can rag on me all you want for the smaller tanks, but you try having 4 fish in a 1 bedroom apartment with a child running around and their toys overtaking the dang place! lol.

the two girls are going to be in a larger (probably 10 gal) tank together soon. question is, will just the two be ok together or should i get a third female to "sort out the pecking order"? I plan to have quite a number of silk/fabric plants so they could hide if they want to.

And Danyal, the best tank, if you do need to go small, is the blue-ish tinged plastic ones by Living World. 1/2, 1, 2(ish), and 3 gal sizes. Not sure if they are available in the States. more of an oblong shape so the fish have more room to swim back and forth as opposed to a round bowl, come with a hinged, vented locking lid. I love them. all my babies are in them. I must say the trick to keeping up with the weekly water changes is to keep the tank bare bottomed. I hate rinsing gravel!!! lol. All four tanks only take me about hour and a half and i can carry each tank to the kitchen sink really easy. I'll post pics of all my "kids" soon.

Easydoesit

AC Members
Mar 17, 2008
Taxachusetts
well today i got a betta and put him in a 1.5 gallon. then my sister got one, so i put mine in my 10 gallon along with 6 harlequin rasboras(schoolers, less than 1"), 3 dime-nickel sized snails and 2 african dwarf frogs.

One is in a 1.5 gallon hex with half moss half gravel on the bottom, heater, under gravel filter(dnt see how it works rly bsides water circulation), hood w/ light and cover, and a fake lillyish plant.
One is in a 10 gallon heat,light,hood,filter,moss+sand+gravel+rocks, hanging fake plants which make a good place to hide combined with the aquascaping.

The betta in the 10 gallon doesnt seem nervous at all, hes very interested in everything. He flared when he first saw the other fish and whacked into one once, but after hes established that they arent out to fight hes fine and leaves them alone. He doesnt understand the snail, hell get right up close to it and just look at it, then swim away a minute later. He's nipped the frogs foot once, but the frog kicked him in the face and swam away quickly. since then hes left the frog alone. He swims all over the tank, checking everything out.

The fish in the 1.5 gallon seems good, flares on occasion, and is swimming even though theres not too much room.

I'll update this little expiriment, even though I do think it's just a matter of preference. However, the people with 1 gallon bowls cant argue that legitimately unless they have had their bettas in a 10 gallon as well, the same betta they have in their 1 gallon.

Easydoesit

AC Members
Mar 17, 2008
Taxachusetts
bettafishmommy, ive heard that having 3 or more together is a good idea for the reason you listed. its possible that they will be fine together, but i think you should get a third as well. some females if not brought up with other females will be aggressive and fight, but it just depends on the betta. (i hear)

eroomlorac

Happy as a clam
Mar 18, 2008
Farm Country, Northern Illinois
I have four female bettas together and after having 'arguments' for about 4 days, they all get together very well now. If you have just two, the less dominant one will get picked on a lot. At least three is the minimum, in my opinion.

lili70

AC Members
Oct 8, 2007
A 1.5 g Tetra Wonder with Tetra 3wi filter and Marineland heater (preset 78) and frog bubbler.
A betta from petsmart is in it. He was the sickest I found that day in a jar. Well, he thinks the horrible 1.5 it's Heaven.
Nasty little tank, hard to clean, bad plastic ....

There are situations and situations. I am sure everybody loves their fishes, otherwise they won't be here.

Easydoesit

AC Members
Mar 17, 2008
Taxachusetts
well the betta in the 1.5 gallon is okay, seems bored compared to mine in the 10 gallon though, who is also much more active- he swims all over the tank. he still doesnt get the snail and checks up on him sometimes. he even just sits right next to it sometimes or hovers over it for a minute or two. you should see how close he puts his face to the shell, its funny.

well, im upgrading the tanks up a size soon and the betta in the 1.5 gallon is going in the 10 gallon and the 10 gallon betta to a 20. i think id want to die if i was a fish(even a betta) stuck in a 1.5 gallon. just my opinion. even though most of them havent known freedom, they could atleast have a little space to swim quickly every once in a while.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store