Crowntail betta in little bowl thriving?.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
Personally I don't think bettas are unhappy in gallon bowls at all as long as the water is well maintained, they are given a proper diet, and some peace and quiet.

Way to go!

kjr928

Go fish yourself.
I have been keeping bettas in 1g bowls for years. I have one on my desk here at work, he has a bare bottom and a live floating plant. He eats well, flares at everything, builds bubble nests, and does circus tricks.

We all know full well that if a fish is "unhappy", it is the equivalent to it being "stressed". A stressed fish gets sick and dies. It doesn't act normal, eat normal, and it is certainly not going around building bubble nests. So I'd say that any betta in a bowl who is not exhibiting any of these signs is, in fact, thriving.

On a last note, I am starting to believe that a lot of people who are so adamantly against bettas living in 1gs simply have no experience keeping them like that, and haven't spend any significant period of time observing them. I think a lot of people just notice them and immediately jump to the conclusion that they are unhappy, which is simply false.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Ftwayne, you seem to enjoy arguing to keep bettas in small cells, with all of your immature comments and such. But I would like to tell you that most people here are not fased by such petty insults, and it really does nothing but dig you a hole.

Now, my whole house is heated by a wood furnace 24/7, but do you think I'd skip heating my tanks? The only tank I don't heat is the 15 gallon, and that is because he is surrounded by warm objects and is in the hottest part of the house. I know I should keep a heater with him, but I'm working on that tank. It's temporary, not "hahaha hes in my house hes warm".

Filtration aerates the water, strains debris, disturbed feces and uneaten foods, and provides flow, to stop from creating so called "dead spots" in a tank. Water changes do a lot of the above, but you can't be serious if you think a small water change once a week in a tiny container will constantly do those tasks. If you ever keep a betta in a 1g, the changes should be 3-4 times a week, and 1 change every week is on the verge of neglect.

Please do not argue the point by trying to find loopholes in what people are saying. Provide knowledgable input on why you think your betta is fine in a small tank, and consider what you say. Everyones houses are heated, but they keep heaters. Why? Because the temperature of the water is lower than the room about it, and most houses aren't even close to giving off tropical temperatures anyway. You say that filtration is accomplished by infrequent water changes, but everyone else has a filter on every tank. Why? Because although changing the water does things a filter cannot, filters do their jobs constantly and without rest. You can't constantly change a tank.

On a last note, I am starting to believe that a lot of people who are so adamantly against bettas living in 1gs simply have no experience keeping them like that, and haven't spend any significant period of time observing them. I think a lot of people just notice them and immediately jump to the conclusion that they are unhappy, which is simply false.
I have kept both of my current bettas in bowls, and believe me: They hated it. I have never seen a happy betta in a container less than 2 gallons. They're either hovering in one spot looking depressed or on the gravel in a corner looking depressed.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
I have been keeping bettas in 1g bowls for years. I have one on my desk here at work, he has a bare bottom and a live floating plant. He eats well, flares at everything, builds bubble nests, and does circus tricks.

We all know full well that if a fish is "unhappy", it is the equivalent to it being "stressed". A stressed fish gets sick and dies. It doesn't act normal, eat normal, and it is certainly not going around building bubble nests. So I'd say that any betta in a bowl who is not exhibiting any of these signs is, in fact, thriving.

Another Way to go!

mozart

AC Members
Mar 29, 2007
Delawhere?
My betta lives in my 38G community tank. He swims more than any other fish in the tank (except the zebra danios, but we know they're maniacs)-top, bottom, front and back. He gets along with everyone--occasional brief bicker with the ram (they were in QT together) but sometimes they even hang out together. No way this creature belongs in a bowl!!!! Glad I never bought the 5G I was considering for him.

FL22

Do as I say!
Jan 22, 2007
O-H I-O!
Ftwayne, you seem to enjoy arguing to keep bettas in small cells, with all of your immature comments and such. But I would like to tell you that most people here are not fased by such petty insults, and it really does nothing but dig you a hole.

Now, my whole house is heated by a wood furnace 24/7, but do you think I'd skip heating my tanks? The only tank I don't heat is the 15 gallon, and that is because he is surrounded by warm objects and is in the hottest part of the house. I know I should keep a heater with him, but I'm working on that tank. It's temporary, not "hahaha hes in my house hes warm".

Filtration aerates the water, strains debris, disturbed feces and uneaten foods, and provides flow, to stop from creating so called "dead spots" in a tank. Water changes do a lot of the above, but you can't be serious if you think a small water change once a week in a tiny container will constantly do those tasks. If you ever keep a betta in a 1g, the changes should be 3-4 times a week, and 1 change every week is on the verge of neglect.

Please do not argue the point by trying to find loopholes in what people are saying. Provide knowledgable input on why you think your betta is fine in a small tank, and consider what you say. Everyones houses are heated, but they keep heaters. Why? Because the temperature of the water is lower than the room about it, and most houses aren't even close to giving off tropical temperatures anyway. You say that filtration is accomplished by infrequent water changes, but everyone else has a filter on every tank. Why? Because although changing the water does things a filter cannot, filters do their jobs constantly and without rest. You can't constantly change a tank.

I have kept both of my current bettas in bowls, and believe me: They hated it. I have never seen a happy betta in a container less than 2 gallons. They're either hovering in one spot looking depressed or on the gravel in a corner looking depressed.

Couldn't have said it better myself DP! WAY TO GO!!!!!! :headbang2:

mjy6087

I like fish
Aug 18, 2006

Im sorry but i am going to have to agree with Ftwayne. He did not make any immature comments, he was stating his position. What do you think you will get out of "reprimanding" him? He is not going to listen to you , and so are the other million of other betta keepers that place the bettas in 1 g bowls. Some people place them in smaller than 1 g. Besides, who are you to determine what is "wrong" and what is "right"? You cant really say its cruel to the fish because you are not a fish. What if bettas enjoy the small personal space with frequent water changes?

BTW i plan on keeping my beta in a 1g tank as well.:grinyes:

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
LMAO

ANOTHER WAY TO GO.

All the while DP sitting on the thread waiting to get into a fight lol.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Couldn't have said it better myself DP! WAY TO GO!!!!!! :headbang2:
Thanks, Fl :)

Im sorry but i am going to have to agree with Ftwayne. He did not make any immature comments, he was stating his position. What do you think you will get out of "reprimanding" him? He is not going to listen to you , and so are the other million of other betta keepers that place the bettas in 1 g bowls. Some people place them in smaller than 1 g. Besides, who are you to determine what is "wrong" and what is "right"? You cant really say its cruel to the fish because you are not a fish. What if bettas enjoy the small personal space with frequent water changes?

BTW i plan on keeping my beta in a 1g tank as well.:grinyes:
First, what do you call the repeated "Wha wha wha" comments? I think that's pretty immature myself. Most people stop the baby taunts before they're 10.

Also, you seem to be acting like I demand authority, but how is it your right to pick apart every word I said and act like I'm a dictator? I'm not determining what's wrong and what's right, I'm talking on my behalf and on the behalf of most betta keepers on AC, as you see many more 5g betta tanks than 1g bowls housing bettas.

It seems you believe that I have been spouting gibberish and calling it the truth. It is your opinion that bettas can live in tiny tanks, and it is my opinion that they cannot. Don't jump on me for stating my opinion, or flaming Ftwayne for his less than appropriate comments.

Edit: Ftwayne, mj: there's another immature comment, if what I had wasn't enough. Supporting your opinion and fighting are two very different things.

mjy6087

I like fish
Aug 18, 2006
Thanks, Fl :)

First, what do you call the repeated "Wha wha wha" comments? I think that's pretty immature myself. Most people stop the baby taunts before they're 10.

Also, you seem to be acting like I demand authority, but how is it your right to pick apart every word I said and act like I'm a dictator? I'm not determining what's wrong and what's right, I'm talking on my behalf and on the behalf of most betta keepers on AC, as you see many more 5g betta tanks than 1g bowls housing bettas.

It seems you believe that I have been spouting gibberish and calling it the truth. It is your opinion that bettas can live in tiny tanks, and it is my opinion that they cannot. Don't jump on me for stating my opinion, or flaming Ftwayne for his less than appropriate comments.

Edit: Ftwayne, mj: there's another immature comment, if what I had wasn't enough. Supporting your opinion and fighting are two very different things.
There are probably a few hundered betta keeps on this board and Im pretty sure you havent asked all of them, so you cant conclude about what most betta keepers do. Unless you are going to give me a confidence interval or statistic of some sort, that comment is of no use.

And since this will be locked if it continues to go off topic.....DP, I would like your honest opinion on ideal housing for a betta. (tank size, what type of filter, tankmates , etc). Do you think a ghost shrimp can live with a betta (with not filter or aeration)?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store