Cycling with fish: species

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
one looks dead and one is laying on the bottom but still breathing, and one I can't tell. What do I do i'm so sad now...:cry::cry::cry::cry:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in PPM)? Water temp? It's possible they came from a high nitrate environment and cannot adjust to the acclimation. Which leads to another question... How did you acclimate them?

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
I am getting a test kit tomorrow, I cant believe I completely forgot. I acclimated them by floating their bag for about 15-20 minutes. They were active for about 2-4 hours, and then just slowed down.

Aquartist

AC Members
Mar 19, 2010
Cleveland Heights, OH
I believe it is always important to compare the water parameters (PH, GH, KH and temperature) at the beginning of the acclimation period. If the parameters are 'very, very close' than 30 minutes of acclimation might be OK. adding 25% of the tank water to the amount in the bag every 10 minutes (assuming there is not too much water in the bag). If the parameters are very different from the bag to the tank, then I would advise at least two hours, personally I acclimate for three hours or more adding only 10% every 15 minutes and emptying out half the water from the bag after an hour. I've actually acclimated fish for 4 hours before. The transporting of fish can be stressful to begin with, but too much change in ph and hardness can be devastating for some fish. Also, it is not advised to empty the bag of water into the fish tank, rather net the fish or pour the water into a net and throw the water out, just in case of any free swimming parasites or other contaminants. Better to be safe than sorry. NOTE: When introducing new fish to an established tank it is advised to quarantine them first for two to five weeks in a separate cycled tank. GOOD LUCK!

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
I forgot about acclimating by adding tank water. I did not dump the water from he bag into the tank, I will post params when I can.

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
PH:7.6, Ammonia: .5-1, Nitrite:0, Nitrate:0. Should I do a water change to lower ammonia?

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I would add alot of fast growing plants... or just take the fish back and let the tank cycle normally.

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
Why add plants?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
PH:7.6, Ammonia: .5-1, Nitrite:0, Nitrate:0. Should I do a water change to lower ammonia?
Yes, you need to do water changes to maintain zero ammonia. You may have to do water changes daily at this point. I wouldn't add plants unless you have the lighting and carbon source to sustain them.

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
I just did a water change and they seem a little more active... I will do another small one tomorrow

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store